Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Pindrul

Office 2010 silent installation gets mshta.exe hung

34 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I, m using wpi 8.7.1 for making an unattended installation of several apps.The silent intaller for Office 2010 runs ok but i doesn´t finish so the next app for install won´t start. The process mshta.exe gets hung an i have to kill it. I´m using WIndows 7 64-bit as host for installation. Here is my config.js:

<code>

prog[pn]=['WinRAR x64'];
uid[pn]=['WINRAR64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['64 Bit'];
pfro[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\WinRARx64.exe" "/s"'];
desc[pn]=['WinRAR x64'];
pn++;
prog[pn]=['Office 2010 x64'];
uid[pn]=['OFFICEX64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['64 Bit'];
pfro[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\OFFICEX64\\setup.exe" "/config" "%wpipath%\\Install\\OFFICEX64\\ProPlus.WW\\config.xml"'];
desc[pn]=['Office 2010 x64'];
pn++;
prog[pn]=['Avast Antivirus'];
uid[pn]=['AVAST64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['64 Bit'];
pfro[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\avast.exe" "/silent"'];
desc[pn]=['Avast Antivirus'];
pn++;

</code>

and my config.xml for Office 2010 is:

<code>

<Configuration Product="ProPlus">
<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />
<!-- <Logging Type="standard" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Office Professional Plus Setup(*).txt" /> -->
<!-- <USERNAME Value="Customer" /> -->
<!-- <COMPANYNAME Value="MyCompany" /> -->
<!-- <INSTALLLOCATION Value="%programfiles%\Microsoft Office" /> -->
<!-- <LIS CACHEACTION="CacheOnly" /> -->
<!-- <LIS SOURCELIST="\\server1\share\Office;\\server2\share\Office" /> -->
<!-- <DistributionPoint Location="\\server\share\Office" /> -->
<!-- <OptionState Id="OptionID" State="absent" Children="force" /> -->
<!-- <Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="IfNeeded" /> -->
<!-- <Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->
</Configuration>

</code>

<!-- <Command Path="%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe" Args="/i \\server\share\my.msi" QuietArg="/q" ChainPosition="after" Execute="install" /> -->

I think it's this command that's not sending the finished signal.

There is a wait for process to finish feature that might work.

I have never installed any of the offices via XML files, I always use admin installs you'll have to wait until one of the guys come by that does use XML style

Thanks for the quick response.

I´m going to test the installation with the admin install. In anyway note that the line you refer is a comment so it doesn´t affect to the xml because it´s between <!-- and -->. Keep working that way WPI is an excellent tool!

Hi there,

Finally i have found a solution:

prog[pn]=['Office 2010 x64'];
uid[pn]=['OFFICEX64'];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['64 Bit'];
pfro[pn]=['no'];
cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\OFFICEX64\\setup.exe" "/adminfile" "%wpipath%\\Install\\OFFICEX64\\custom.MSP" "/config" "%wpipath%\\Install\\OFFICEX64\\ProPlus.WW\\config.xml"'];
desc[pn]=['Office 2010 x64'];
pn++;
This is a combination of /adminfile switch for automation and a default xml file (with al the line commented) for product chooser (In this case Office Pro Plus version). I hope this cdan help others...
Thanks for your replies!.

Hi,

I´m sorry to inform you that i´m still having troubles with unattended installation of microsoft office 2010. While this command works very well from a console:

setup.exe /adminfile custom.MSP /config ProPlus.WW\config.xml

It doesn´t finish properly when i call it from WPI. The mshta.exe gets hung with CPU Utilization of 50% or higher.

Can anybody help?

Hi, bphlp

No, i didn't test that suggestion because the installation fails in non silent mode too. I tested an old version of WPI with Office 32 bit installation and runs OK both silent and normal installation . I'm testing now WPI 8.7.1 with Office 32Bit Install. I Will keep you informed about the results.

Hi Everybody,

OK I have found that version 8.6.3 of WPI works flawessly with both installations of OFFICE (x64 and x86). The use of CPU with mshta.exe is far lower and the installation of programs is quicker. I Hope someone check this because it´s annoying not being capable of using latest version.

P.D I had to download this version on another page because the official link for old versions in wpiw.net does not work. :huh:

OK here goes:

1= Links fixed (Thanks)

2= Try the attached timers.js with wpi 8.7.1 please and I think the issue is fixed...

timers.js

About Office 2010:

Install first Net Framework 4:

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9154-slim-net-framework-4-full-x86x64-1-05-2014/

And Visual Studio:

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9790-aio-microsoft-visual-bcfj-redistributable-x86x64/

And after Office 2010!

My config.js (example):

pn=1;prog[pn]=['NET Framework 4'];uid[pn]=['NETFRAMEWORK4'];ordr[pn]=[1];dflt[pn]=['yes'];forc[pn]=['no'];cat[pn]=['Applications'];pfro[pn]=['no'];cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\dotNET4\\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64_Slim.exe" /aif'];desc[pn]=['NET Framework 4'];picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\DotNet.png"'];picw[pn]=['128'];pich[pn]=['128'];textl[pn]=['Right'];pn++;prog[pn]=['ATI Radeon X300 Series 9-11'];shortdesc[pn]=['Pilotes Carte Graphique'];uid[pn]=['ATIRADEONX300SERIES911'];ordr[pn]=[2];dflt[pn]=['yes'];forc[pn]=['no'];cat[pn]=['Applications'];pfro[pn]=['no'];cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\ATIDriver\\ATI-9-11.exe"'];desc[pn]=['ATI Radeon X300 Series 9-11'];picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\ATI.png"'];picw[pn]=['128'];pich[pn]=['128'];textl[pn]=['Right'];pn++;prog[pn]=['Realtek WDM R239'];shortdesc[pn]=['Pilotes son'];uid[pn]=['REALTEKWDMR239'];ordr[pn]=[3];dflt[pn]=['yes'];forc[pn]=['no'];cat[pn]=['Applications'];pfro[pn]=['no'];cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\Realtek\\Realtek.exe"'];desc[pn]=['Realtek WDM R239'];picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\Realtek.png"'];picw[pn]=['128'];pich[pn]=['128'];textl[pn]=['Right'];pn++;prog[pn]=['Visual Studio AIO'];uid[pn]=['VISUALSTUDIOAIO'];ordr[pn]=[4];dflt[pn]=['yes'];forc[pn]=['no'];cat[pn]=['Applications'];pfro[pn]=['no'];cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\VBCRedist\\VBCRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe" /y'];desc[pn]=['Visual Studio AIO'];picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\VS2010Logo.png"'];picw[pn]=['128'];pich[pn]=['128'];textl[pn]=['Right'];pn++;prog[pn]=['Office 2007 Pro SP3'];uid[pn]=['OFFICE2007PROSP3'];ordr[pn]=[5];dflt[pn]=['yes'];forc[pn]=['no'];cat[pn]=['Applications'];pfro[pn]=['no'];cmds[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Install\\OfficePro\\Office2007Pro.exe"'];desc[pn]=['Office 2007 Pro SP3'];picf[pn]=['"%wpipath%\\Graphics\\Logos\\Office.png"'];picw[pn]=['128'];pich[pn]=['128'];textl[pn]=['Right'];pn++;
Edited by myselfidem

Another way to put this, is that before you try to install any installer, you need to be sure that you have any runtimes installed that might be needed by the app installer or the app itself. Installing the latest .NET and Visual Studio package first will usually take care of this requirement, even if the installer package has been "slimmed", which usually removes those runtimes.

Cheers and Regards

OK Kelsenellenelvian thanks . I'm going to check with 8.7.2. I'm impressed with your efficiency!.

I'm going to check the .NET Framework 4 solution too. Thanks to myselfidem and bphlpt for their help and patience too.

I will keep you informed about the results.

After checking with different versions here is the result of installation of several programs in a fresh install of windows 7 Home premium 32 Bit:

Version 8.6.7 Runs OK:

Version 8.72 Hung.

post-387369-0-13326200-1391356359_thumb.

IE Version: 8.0.7601.17514. The one that comes with windows in a fresh install.

The issue is with the timer and ie versions.

I am running tests and will get back to you.

You can use custom.msp OR config.xml file; and not the two modes for silent installation!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097(v=office.14).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195(v=office.14).aspx

*Edit: maybe that can help:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143665-how-to-unnatended-office-2010-and-make-it-lite/

Edited by myselfidem

None the less there is definitely still a issue with the timer and hung installation with office and packaged installers that have sub routines.

No trouble found with the timer or Office 2007 installation, installing first Net Framework 4 and Visual AIO!

WPI_Log.txt

Fichier journal de l'installation WPIDébut de l'installation: dimanche 2 février 2014 21:35:13Information WPI:   Version=8.7.2   Exécutable utilisé=true   Version d'Internet Explorer=11.0   Connexion Internet=falseSystème d'exploitation   Version du Système=6.1   Système d'exploitation=Win7   Version actuelle=7601   ID Edition=Ultimate Edition   Service Pack=1Architecture   Nom de l'Architecture=GenuineIntel   Chaîne du Nom de l'Architecture=Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         650  @ 3.20GHz   ID Architecture=x86 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2   Nombre de Processeurs=1   MHz=3065   Type d'Architecture=x86   Bits Architecture=32   Fichier Configuration=D:\wpi\UserFiles\config.js   Fichier Options=D:\wpi\UserFiles\useroptions.js   Fichier Réseau=D:\wpi\UserFiles\networkoptions.js   Fichier Thème=D:\wpi\UserFiles\themeoptions.js   Fichier Options Fenêtre=D:\wpi\UserFiles\windowoptions.js// Window tab   Resolution=0   MainWindowWidth=800   MainWindowHeight=600   MainWindowX=-1   MainWindowY=-1   InstallerWindowX=25   InstallerWindowY=25// General tab   NumCols=3   // ---   Timer=true   Seconds=22   StartBeepAtSecs=10   // ---   Language='fr'   // ---   DefaultInstallPath='%wpipath%'   CustomInstallPath=['']   // ---   AbortInstallIfFailure=true   ExecuteCommandIfFailure=['']   ContinueWhereFailed=false// Features tab   ShowDownloadOutput=false   DisableInstallCombobox=false   ShowExtraButtons=true   DoNotShowIfCD=true   USSFSilentMode=false   VerifyInstallHDD=false   AllowCheckForInternet=false   LoadDesktopBeforeInstall=true   ReOpenAfterInstall=false   DisableCatCheckBoxes=false   SortWithinCats=false   DisableOnDepsNotMet=true   AlwaysUseScrollBar=true   DontSplitCats=false   InstallByCategory=true   ReallyForce=false   DisableIfDoGray=false   InstallFonts=true   ShowCommandInInstaller=false   ShowInstallerImages=true   AlwaysShowOutputWindow=false   EjectCDWhenDone=false   DoNotShowIfUSB=true   DisableHotKeys=true   MaintainAutoLogonCount=false// Tools tab   MonitorResolution=0   MonitorDepth=0   MonitorRefresh=0   // ---   ExecuteBeforeEnabled=false   ExecuteBefore=['']   ExecuteAfterEnabled=true   ExecuteAfter=['"%systemdrive%\Windows\Setup\scripts\clean.vbs"']   // ---   RestartComputer=false   RestartType=0   RestartSeconds=0   DoNotLoadDesktop=false   // ---   LogInstallation=true   LogPath=['"%systemdrive%\WPI_Log.txt"'];   TimeStampLogFile=false// Audio tab   PlayAudioInInstaller=false   InstallAudio=['']   Volume=75   Shuffle=false   CopyAudioFolder=false   CopyAudioPath=['C:\Audio']   DeleteAudioFolder=false// Sounds tab   SndWPIStartCB=true   SndWPIStart=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\Alert.wav"'];   SndInstallStartCB=false   SndInstallStart=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\AtBeginning.wav"'];   SndInstallSuccessCB=false   SndInstallSuccess=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\Yes.wav"'];   SndInstallFailCB=false   SndInstallFail=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\No.wav"'];   SndInstallFinishCB=false   SndInstallFinish=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\AtEnd.wav"'];   SndInstallWarningCB=true   SndInstallWarning=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\Warning.wav"'];   SndWPIExitCB=false   SndWPIExit=['"%wpipath%\Audio\SoundsScheme\Exit.wav"'];// Style tab   Theme='Win7'   Skin='SkyBlue'   BgPicture=''   // ---   LayoutStyle=2   // ---   ShowToolTips=trueVariables Globales:   %OSLANG%=FRS   %WPIPATH%=D:\wpi   %ROOT%=D:   %CDROM%=D:   %USB%=   %DOSPATH%=   %SYSTEMDRIVE%=C:   %WINDIR%=C:\Windows   %PROGRAMFILES%=C:\Program Files   %TEMP%=C:\Users\Antoine\AppData\Local\Temp   %SYSDIR%=C:\Windows\System32   %ALLUSERSPROFILE%=C:\ProgramData   %USERPROFILE%=C:\Users\Antoine   %APPDATA%=C:\Users\Antoine\AppData\Roaming   %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%=C:\Program Files\Common FilesListe des programmes à installer:   NET Framework 4   ATI Radeon X300 Series 9-11   Realtek WDM R239   Visual Studio AIO   Office 2007 Pro SP3   Execute After6 Eléments, 6 Commandes-----dimanche 2 février 2014 21:35:19   Programme: NET Framework 4   ID unique: NETFRAMEWORK4   Ordre: 000001   Catégorie: Applications   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:01 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "D:\wpi\Install\dotNET4\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64_Slim.exe" /aif   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:01 - Installation terminée.-----dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:01   Programme: ATI Radeon X300 Series 9-11   ID unique: ATIRADEONX300SERIES911   Ordre: 000002   Catégorie: Applications   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:27 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "D:\wpi\Install\ATIDriver\ATI-9-11.exe"   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:27 - Installation terminée.-----dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:27   Programme: Realtek WDM R239   ID unique: REALTEKWDMR239   Ordre: 000003   Catégorie: Applications   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:39 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "D:\wpi\Install\Realtek\Realtek.exe"   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:40 - Installation terminée.-----dimanche 2 février 2014 21:41:40   Programme: Visual Studio AIO   ID unique: VISUALSTUDIOAIO   Ordre: 000004   Catégorie: Applications   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:42:15 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "D:\wpi\Install\VBCRedist\VBCRedist_AIO_x86_x64.exe" /y   dimanche 2 février 2014 21:42:16 - Installation terminée.-----dimanche 2 février 2014 21:42:16   Programme: Office 2007 Pro SP3   ID unique: OFFICE2007PROSP3   Ordre: 000005   Catégorie: Applications   dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:05 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "D:\wpi\Install\OfficePro\Office2007Pro.exe"   dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:07 - Installation terminée.-----dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:07   Programme: Execute After   ID unique: EXECUTE_AFTER   Ordre: 0   Catégorie: WPI Built In   dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:10 - cmd1 Succès (Code de retour 0): "C:\Windows\Setup\scripts\clean.vbs"   dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:10 - Installation terminée.-----Nombre d'installations échouées: 0Installation terminée: dimanche 2 février 2014 22:05:11