UxTheme Signature Bypass

bigmuscle

I dont know if this is discussed before, but when using uxtheme bypass dll injection method, none of themepack / deskthemepack loads when try to open. although a stupid workaround is when you want to apply a themepack, just rename the bit version of dll (uxthemesignaturebypass64.dll to something else for 64 bit, 32 for 32 bit). after applying restore back the name. Can you look at it @bigmuscle? i am not sure about win 10, i am on win 8.1. 

Those visual styles are packed in msstyles. When you create your own default theme from personalization menu, there is option as save this theme for sharing. This saves in a .themepack (windows 7) or .deskthemepack (windows 8) container with custom sound, cursors and wallpapers, if theme has. With custom msstyles and this theme combination makes theme sharing easy but it just wont open as if nothing happened. I just want to say to highlight this in your main article, so someone does not freaks out and reinstalls the whole os. (The google search also does not provide satisfactory result).

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Well that looks good, but my kaspersky is detecting a Trojan (more precise HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic). Is that ok? Because bigmuscle one was reported safe. Just to confirm up-to which windows version this dll supports? 

25 minutes ago, yash.chauhan said:

Well that looks good, but my kaspersky is detecting a Trojan (more precise HEUR:Trojan.Win32.Generic). Is that ok? Because bigmuscle one was reported safe.

Anti-virus and such software tend to guess about any file they don't know about so they flag a lot of harmless and useful stuff. It's safe.

Just the feature that allows the same window caption text color as set in AeroGlass to be applied to ribbon windows doesn't work since the feature relies on Big Muscle's DLL to be injected in every process (which also causes the problem with .themepack/.deskthemepackfiles).

Though there's a better way to set that color by modifying the theme's visual style file. This works flawlessly on Windows 8.x, but they made some changes in Windows 10 that causes inactive caption color to be mixed with another color that is hardcoded. Similarly for active caption color, 2 colors are used, one is read from the visual style file and can be changed and the other is hardcoded. Which one is used depends on the brightness of the window frame background color.

25 minutes ago, yash.chauhan said:

Just to confirm up-to which windows version this dll supports?

Confirmed to work on Windows 8.x/10.

Edited by UCyborg
Added remark about .themepack files

• 8 months later...

New theme patcher (download) appeared a month ago. It doesn't modify system files, uses a reliable way to load itself (AppVerifier infrastructure), works with SecureBoot and enables applying themes with custom visual styles with Settings app (checkbox for enabling it to work with SystemSettings.exe). One ceveat - one'll probably have to add fake signature to custom visual style file to be used before Windows will accept it, there's a button for that in the installer.

BTW, someone brought up *.deskthemepack files a while back...it doesn't seem possible to pack custom visual style file inside, the system seems to be picky about the path where *.msstyles files are allowed to be loaded from.

14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

New theme patcher (download) appeared a month ago. It doesn't modify system files, uses a reliable way to load itself (AppVerifier infrastructure), works with SecureBoot and enables applying themes with custom visual styles with Settings app (checkbox for enabling it to work with SystemSettings.exe). One ceveat - one'll probably have to add fake signature to custom visual style file to be used before Windows will accept it, there's a button for that in the installer.

BTW, someone brought up *.deskthemepack files a while back...it doesn't seem possible to pack custom visual style file inside, the system seems to be picky about the path where *.msstyles files are allowed to be loaded from.

Tried to download this but my antivirus flagged it as infected with Win32:malware-gen.