Windows 2000 on Haswell?

AnX

• 2 weeks later...

I have already tried offical version 6.14.10.5441.

It is haswell 1st generation XP RTM driver.

The 5445 is 2nd.

The 5449 is 3rd.

There is the unofficial Graphics Drivers 6.14.10.5441 (aka 14.56.0.5441), which support XP, and Haswell and IvyBridge, floating around the net.

The 5441 driver seems to be the last one that supports XP.

None of the later drivers have even a leaked or unofficial version for XP, AFAIK.

Am I wrong?

I think you are wrong.

And 5441 is previous official driver, but the link closed now.(Cause of it is old)

Plz see #5 link lastest comment.

You can download XP lastest driver (7th Mar 2014) from link.

5445 and 5449 do not install correctly for my i7 3777k (on XP SP3)

But by substituting igcodeckrng700.bin and igvpkrng700.bin by the files of the same name from 5441, it then installs OK.

I guess substituting igcodeckrng700.bin and igvpkrng700.bin, as well as igcodeckrng750.bin and igvpkrng750.bin, by the files of the same name from 5441 should fix all the problems reported. Please test this and let me know how did that work for you all.

• 2 weeks later...

I have already tried offical version 6.14.10.5441.

It is haswell 1st generation XP RTM driver.

The 5445 is 2nd.

The 5449 is 3rd.

There is the unofficial Graphics Drivers 6.14.10.5441 (aka 14.56.0.5441), which support XP, and Haswell and IvyBridge, floating around the net.

The 5441 driver seems to be the last one that supports XP.

None of the later drivers have even a leaked or unofficial version for XP, AFAIK.

Am I wrong?

I think you are wrong.

And 5441 is previous official driver, but the link closed now.(Cause of it is old)

Plz see #5 link lastest comment.

You can download XP lastest driver (7th Mar 2014) from link.

5445 and 5449 do not install correctly for my i7 3777k (on XP SP3)

But by substituting igcodeckrng700.bin and igvpkrng700.bin by the files of the same name from 5441, it then installs OK.

I guess substituting igcodeckrng700.bin and igvpkrng700.bin, as well as igcodeckrng750.bin and igvpkrng750.bin, by the files of the same name from 5441 should fix all the problems reported. Please test this and let me know how did that work for you all.

hi, do you mean take igcodeckrng700.bin and igvpkrng700.bin from 5441 and put in 5449 folder?

It didn't work for me for HD4400. device ID DEV_041e

No. It's more complicated than that: IMO igxp32.inf in all 544x versions of the intel driver is botched.

Problem is that it was botched when support to the Haswell was added, so that there is no good driver for the Haswell at all.

Now, the reason nobody came out with a driver after your requests here and elsewhere is that most people who have Haswells don't care for XP (which MS and intel are doing their best to kill, to no avail), and most people who care for XP and have the necessary know-how to correct that .INF don't have a Haswell to test any mods, so they cannot do it properly and, hence, direct their skills to tasks they can accomplish properly and can benefit from (of course). So, you see, it's kind of a Catch-22 situation.

That said -- provided you undertake to test whatever modded files are give you, bearing in mind they can leave you with a non-functional video and, in the worst case, cause a reinstall, *and* agree to do it without putting *any* pressure on people who'll be doing it in spare time they really don't have, just for the sake of the challenge -- there may be people willing to try modding the .INF, although, even so, there may not be anyone available right away...

In any case, please do tell us what are you using as a graphics driver at the moment? The standard supervga? The default VGA? A scrennshot of the device manager window with the display drivers expanded and the window given by the properties option on the right-click menu of the active display driver, with be driver tab selected, would be much welcome as well (see attached example).

post-134642-0-61968300-1397067322_thumb.

No. It's more complicated than that: IMO igxp32.inf in all 544x versions of the intel driver is botched.

Problem is that it was botched when support to the Haswell was added, so that there is no good driver for the Haswell at all.

Now, the reason nobody came out with a driver after your requests here and elsewhere is that most people who have Haswells don't care for XP (which MS and intel are doing their best to kill, to no avail), and most people who care for XP and have the necessary know-how to correct that .INF don't have a Haswell to test any mods, so they cannot do it properly and, hence, direct their skills to tasks they can accomplish properly and can benefit from (of course). So, you see, it's kind of a Catch-22 situation.

That said -- provided you undertake to test whatever modded files are give you, bearing in mind they can leave you with a non-functional video and, in the worst case, cause a reinstall, *and* agree to do it without putting *any* pressure on people who'll be doing it in spare time they really don't have, just for the sake of the challenge -- there may be people willing to try modding the .INF, although, even so, there may not be anyone available right away...

In any case, please do tell us what are you using as a graphics driver at the moment? The standard supervga? The default VGA? A scrennshot of the device manager window with the display drivers expanded and the window given by the properties option on the right-click menu of the active display driver, with be driver tab selected, would be much welcome as well (see attached example).

post-390963-0-22785900-1397109738_thumb.

Please see mine in attached image.

It is XP sp3

My device id is;

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_041E&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_06\3&115 83659&0&10

my system is desktop pc. mainboard chipset is H81, cpu is i3-4130, i use xp service pack3.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed Windows 2000 Professional using a Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X motherboard and an Intel i7-4770K Haswell processor (Series 8 / C220). I used tomasz86’s most recent HFSLIP package with BWC’s 8.9c AHCI driver integrated. With one glaring exception, the installation proceeds much like it does on the Z77 motherboard.

The initial problem with W2K on Haswell: installation stalls at the “Setup is starting Windows 2000” screen.

To get past this, I started over and hit F5 rather than F6 when prompted for a third-party driver. This provides a choice of computer types, but choosing “ACPI Multiprocessor PC” does nothing to correct the stall, so I’m forced to choose the “Standard PC” HAL instead. This leaves me running on one core instead of four cores.

The rest of the OS and driver installation is just about exactly like the Z77.

I tried using Device Manager to change the “Standard PC” driver to “ACPI Multiprocessor PC” after the fact, but this produced a BSOD upon reboot.

Edited by bluebolt

IMO, at the moment (and today is Apr 21, 2014) there's no way to get either Win 2000 or Win XP running correctly on Haswell processosrs. There's no decent embedded Graphic Adapter drivers, so an external Graphics card is a must. And there's no support at all for Intel USB 3.0... Therefore, IMO, it's much better to go Ivy Bridge. This is just my 2¢, of course and, particularly here, YMMV a lot.

What I'm saying is that everything does work, except the ACPI multiprocessor PC. The installation is complete, and I'm running in AHCI SATA mode using BWC's 8.9c driver. The only driver I don't have is the video driver, which is the one I don't need.

No native Graphics, no USB 3.0 (those can be solved by using add-on PCI-e cards...) and no multiprocessor? And all that works OK with Ivy Bridges (except for USB 3.0 that is absent, so that one add-on PCI-e card is a must)... so that, IMO, an Ivy Bridge is a better choice. Just saying it.

(@ bluebolt: I've removed my statement about SATA fro my previous post. Thanks for the correction!)

Hi.

Plz Try to create EXtended kernel DVD from hfslip.

It makes the USB compatible to XP.

If you use Intel XHCI USB then It can use by USB2.0 compatible mode.

and you use 3rd party USB then you can use completely it with Extended kernel DVD.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html

And I think that you can use VGA Driver if you use Ivy Intel HD VGA

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1165914.html

If it does not work on your PC, plz tell me your VGA card DEV_ID.

No native Graphics, no USB 3.0 (those can be solved by using add-on PCI-e cards...) and no multiprocessor? And all that works OK with Ivy Bridges (except for USB 3.0 that is absent, so that one add-on PCI-e card is a must)... so that, IMO, an Ivy Bridge is a better choice. Just saying it.

(@ bluebolt: I've removed my statement about SATA fro my previous post. Thanks for the correction!)

Edited by blackwingcat

Dear blackwingcat:

I have no such problem. My most recent machine is an Asus P8Z68-V LX with an Ivy Bridge i7 3770K, on which I do run XP SP3 (solely, for the time being), for which I do have all drivers, including the 6.14.10.5449 Graphics Drivers which gave me some trouble to install, but I was able to get them working at last. That board has onboard a USB 3.0 controller from ASMedia and I added to it another one, a PCI-e based on the uPD720201, from RENESAS (formerly NEC) .

Now, erkange's machine is another thing entirely... and neither my efforts nor those of others ever yielded any result, and AFAIK erkange remains without an adequate solution to run his Intel Graphics 4400, either on 2000 or on XP. His machine is described in the quote below:

Problem is that it was botched when support to the Haswell was added, so that there is no good driver for the Haswell at all. [...]

Please see mine in attached image.

post-390963-0-22785900-1397109738.jpg

It is XP sp3

My device id is:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_041E&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_06\3&115 83659&0&10 
my system is desktop pc. mainboard chipset is H81, cpu is i3-4130, i use xp service pack3.

Thanks in advance for your help and interest. You rock! :thumbup

The RENESAS USB3.0 requires Windows 2000 Extended Kernel Kit from Hfslip.

Now If one wants to use Haswell VGA on XP or 2000, one can't avoid using the universal VESA VBE driver.

Dear blackwingcat:

I have no such problem. My most recent machine is an Asus P8Z68-V LX with an Ivy Bridge i7 3770K, on which I do run XP SP3 (solely, for the time being), for which I do have all drivers, including the 6.14.10.5449 Graphics Drivers which gave me some trouble to install, but I was able to get them working at last. That board has onboard a USB 3.0 controller from ASMedia and I added to it another one, a PCI-e based on the uPD720201, from RENESAS (formerly NEC) .

Now, erkange's machine is another thing entirely... and neither my efforts nor those of others ever yielded any result, and AFAIK erkange remains without an adequate solution to run his Intel Graphics 4400, either on 2000 or on XP. His machine is described in the quote below:

Thanks in advance for your help and interest. You rock! :thumbup

I have finally solved the problem I described in Post #21, and now have Windows 2000 Professional successfully installed on the Haswell platform, and operating in ACPI Multiprocessor PC mode.

Long story short, the installation was freezing at the “Setup is starting Windows 2000” screen because Windows 2000 incorrectly identified the Serial Port, apparently as a floppy drive, even though there is no floppy drive connected and no FDD connector on the motherboard (Windows XP installation had no such problem).

So in the end all I had to do was disable “Serial Port (COM)” in the BIOS.

After that the OS installed smoothly, although there was still the little problem of no USB function that has been characteristic of W2K installations on at least the last four generations of Intel motherboards, requiring initial use of a PS/2 keyboard and Device Manager to point the system to the standard USB drivers.

I should also mention that Windows XP installed easily on Haswell, and I was able to use nLite to integrate Fernando’s Series 8 AHCI Universal driver v11.2 for true SATA mode.

Anyone planning this type of installation should secure a copy of Intel’s previous chipset device software (v.1.1.54.0 aka v. 9.3.2.1020), which is the last one to support 2K Pro or XP.  That, and choose a motherboard with LAN and audio hardware for which W2K drivers are available (e.g. Realtek).  Then all that’s needed is a video card, which has the added benefit of freeing up about ½ GB of RAM compared to integrated graphics, and you’re good to go with Windows 2000 Professional on Intel’s latest cutting-edge hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

For GPUs I would recommend nVidia ones, nVidia GPUs simply work better in Win2k.

Thank you bluebolt for taking the time to install and test Windows 2000 on an i7 4770k.

Edited by AnX

• 2 months later...

IMO, at the moment (and today is Apr 21, 2014) there's no way to get either Win 2000 or Win XP running correctly on Haswell processosrs. There's no decent embedded Graphic Adapter drivers, so an external Graphics card is a must. And there's no support at all for Intel USB 3.0... Therefore, IMO, it's much better to go Ivy Bridge. This is just my 2¢, of course and, particularly here, YMMV a lot. 

Hello Dencorso,

I use an Ivy Bridge running on XP.

Sata AHCI driver - working

Intel HD 4000 HDMI video driver - working

Intel HD 4000 HDMI audio driver - working

Those are the minimum requirements to install and use XP.

Working SATA AHCI drivers, video driver, and audio driver.

All the other things such as Wired Network and Wireless Network are optional and easy to find.

Some may even choose not to install these drivers so that their system is more secure.

Also I've seen some talk about getting Windows 2000 Professional working on an Ivy Bridge Z77.

Does anyone have a direct link for stable SATA AHCI drivers to install by F6 floppy?

My current chipset is the:

Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Device Instance ID:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E02&SUBSYS_1E021849&REV_04\3&11583659&0&FA

Are there any working Intel HD graphic drivers for installing under Windows 2000 Professional or been any development in programming an Intel HD graphics driver to use under Windows 2000 Professional and if possible Intel HD HDMI audio as well?

This was my second favorite operating system before I was forced to use XP because software programs wouldn't install without the XP requirement.

Furthermore, I'm also interested if it is possible to get Intel HD graphics driver to use under Window 98SE?  Has someone made any headway in programming one or is it remotely possible to reverse engineer or modify the XP driver to work under 2000 and later refined to work under 98SE with HDMI and HDMI audio?  This would be a tremendous step forward in furthering my legacy support all in one machine.