This might be the future, Open hardware laptop

jaclaz

Here:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3597

also on Make:

http://makezine.com/magazine/building-an-open-source-laptop/

The accent here is not on cost or performance, but rather on "known" and "serviceable" hardware.

jaclaz

Could they give it a case having all the parts exposed looks cool but quite dangerous for the laptop.

EDIT : personally though I like the idea behind it. Now people don't have to be deadlocked into certain peripherals.

Edited by Flasche

Could they give it a case having all the parts exposed looks cool but quite dangerous for the laptop.

Which part in the word "prototype" are you having difficulties with? :unsure:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prototype

Or in the bolded parts below?

The design is no Thinkpad Carbon X1, but they’ve held together through a couple of rough international trips, and we use our machines almost every day.

I was surprised to find the laptop was well-received by hackers, given its homebrew appearance, relatively meager specs and high price. The positive response has encouraged us to plan a crowd funding campaign around a substantially simplified (think “all in one PC” with a battery) case design. We think it may be reasonable to kick off the campaign shortly after Chinese New Year, maybe late February or March. Follow @novenakosagi for updates on our progress!

jaclaz

Which part in the word "prototype" are you having difficulties with? :unsure:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prototype

Or in the bolded parts below?

The design is no Thinkpad Carbon X1, but they’ve held together through a couple of rough international trips, and we use our machines almost every day.

I was surprised to find the laptop was well-received by hackers, given its homebrew appearance, relatively meager specs and high price. The positive response has encouraged us to plan a crowd funding campaign around a substantially simplified (think “all in one PC” with a battery) case design. We think it may be reasonable to kick off the campaign shortly after Chinese New Year, maybe late February or March. Follow @novenakosagi for updates on our progress!

jaclaz

Geez I must be really tired I read both articles and still managed to miss important info :wacko:. (thanks super bowl) Cursed snow storm here didn't help either but back on to topic as stated in my edit

I like the idea behind it. Now people don't have to be deadlocked into certain peripherals.

Can't wait :thumbup

Intel tried this years ago but the other manufacturers balked at the idea because they would be losing money on those proprietary parts. Aside from HDDs and RAM (although nVidia and AMD have been moving towards modular mobile video recently) you are pretty much doomed. Have a hinge break on your notebook? Is it a common issue with that specific model? Go to Ebay and find a replacement hinge kit for $70 because everyone else's hinges are broken! Basically any time a friend or relative wants me to look at a notebook, I have to use the disclaimer that in most cases physical damage repair can cost almost as much as just buying a new one. It's a racket.

Ref:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20060327232038.html

The only way I can see it working is if it comes through natural evolution of the market. I have a feeling the notebook ODMs would fight it just like last time. I would be all for it for sure!

70 Bucks for some hinges, well, just get used ones or a whole screen with housing for less, with a cracked LCD or so. Taken from your link to xBit Labs:

Intel has identified seven component categories – hard disk drive, optical drive, LCD panel, battery pack, customizable notebook panel, power adapters and keyboards – that can be built on common building blocks.

Now, some of those 7 component categories they are referring to, are now more standardized, but not all indeed:

The good:

+ Hard disk drive; mSATA (SSD) or SATA is now standard, mSATA doesn't even require a caddy.

+ Optical drive; Obsolete these days, but the last ones, from +/-2008 or up were all SATA, front-plates could be swapped out so it would fit the contour of the notebook/laptop housing.

+ LCD panel; Most of them use the same connector and have the same fixture points to place them inside the housing, sure we are talking about (W)LED displays and not with CCFL.

The bad:

- Battery-pack; still a pain the behind, especially when it comes to closed "slim" notebooks/laptops...

- Customizable notebook panel... do we really need that? Sure it provides more bling but most of us will not need more than some volume, power, wifi and touchpad button; they can be part of the keyboard as well.

- Power adapters: Some day they will be all the same, and some are compatible already, for example Dell and HP share some of the same connector and thus voltage, also Lenovo and Asus same to be the same in many, but it is indeed still a mess.

- Keyboards: Not standardized, it got even worse; some keyboards are one part with the housing, especially on the slim models.

Note that the list above doesn´t apply for Apple notebooks/laptops, no comments there...

Also, a not-so-stupid idea for the future:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/122401-asus-eee-pc-and-windows-9x/?p=888655

Just for the record a sub-set of this idea (optimizing a PE build with drivers for USB headset) made available to visually impaired people a suitable tool, i.e. a PE with NVDA screen reader integrated and working on *almost any* machine.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

Well I will admit, I did want to try that, in the past. Because back then, people never did think they could afford such a beautiful machine. All that is missing is the interchangeable slots ( AGP/PCI/PCI16X ). I remember a portable computer series, where they were making powerful computers, with keyboards ( real keyboards ). It is a great idea, for interchangeable computer parts on the go. Today this could actually work, and be affordable ( dirt cheap as they, would say ).

• 7 months later...