Firefox 3.6.xx - Losing support from modern websites?

ironman14

3.6.28 is the last version of Firefox I'll use on any platform

+1

I actually started having trouble using it with eBay under XP the other day though... ridiculous. It has started the exact same behavior with regard to JavaScript that already plagues 9x - seems to prove that the problem was never 9x but poorly written garbage websites to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I will probably spoof the user agent, that being the most effective method. Also, if we could combine blackwingcat's OpenSSL package (allows VS 2010 apps on 95, would probably work on 98) with KernelEX, we could use modern Firefox on 98.

The weird thing is that Opera 9.64 (early 2009) currently supports Youtube, while FF 3.6.28 (early 2012) doesn't seem to. For google's plans to support only XP, it's not working since YouTube even works on 95 with opera 10.

That may be changing soon since opera 10.63 started to give me issues with Google. The app box when clicked doesn't work anymore (now brings you to a page instead of just dropping a menu), and when I did a google search It put the search bar in the middle of the page :realmad:. I got so upset I upgraded to opera 12.02. :no:

That may be changing soon since opera 10.63 started to give me issues with Google.

I will have to correct you. :w00t:

It's Google that started giving you issues with Opera 10.63, the effect is the same :(, but the cause (and culprit) is different.

jaclaz

That may be changing soon since opera 10.63 started to give me issues with Google.

I will have to correct you. :w00t:

It's Google that started giving you issues with Opera 10.63, the effect is the same :(, but the cause (and culprit) is different.

jaclaz

Yes that is true, but unfortunately Google practically own the internet now so what Google says must be done. , http://gs.statcounter.com/#search_engine-ww-monthly-201301-201401-bar , http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile+tablet+console-os-ww-monthly-201301-201401-bar

EDIT: I did notice this part "the effect is the same" and I'm just throwing stats around to show Google being the dominate one now. Maybe apple and Microsoft will team again to fight Google again ( old news http://blogs.computerworld.com/e-business/23063/microsoft-and-apple-team-drop-patent-bomb-android-and-google ). ( personally I like Google and Microsoft and wish they team to destroy apple instead of Microsoft being a worry wort and making metro crap when they fail to notice that desktops still hold the market for the internet http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop+mobile-comparison-ww-monthly-201301-201401-bar )

Edited by Flasche

• 3 months later...

I love Firefox 3x, still have it installed under Vista. Can't really use it though. Really starting to show it's age. Almost no support for HTML5, sites and elements are starting to look sloppy, Not even most search engines work properly it's really a mess. To bad because it was truly the best version of Firefox imo.

Back on topic. SeaMonkey + Seafox addon is a close representation of Firefox 3 and I think I believe I tested that under Windows ME using KernEX before with success. That would make a viable alternative if your still seeking a browser for 98/ME. Don't care much for SeaMonkey myself though.

If anybody finds some way of making Firefox 3.6 more usable do let me know! ;)

The older versions of Firefox had a nice, agreeable user interface. G-Mail has now reverted to plain HTML as it used to be, instead of the more modern interface on FF3.6.3.

I had always thought Windows 98 was just useless for browsing, for whatever reason. I've heard that YouTube is now useless with some earlier versions of Opera (that use the old engine), due to the heavy JavaScript (or, "JavaSludge") interface - and this was on Windows XP installations.

It really is a shame the internet couldn't be written by talented developers, rather than useless "Script-Kiddies" who run someone else's poorly coded slop, slap more slop on top and make the experience terrible on all but the most bleeding-edge machines. And even then, it can be pretty dismal (My experience on some sites with a Macbook on Mavericks kinda shows this).

This, IMO, is why we have faster CPU's. Developers are just lazy now, since upgrades are cheap and technology moves fast enough to make bloated software look "fine" in just a day.

No wonder Linux is gaining some traction!

The older versions of Firefox had a nice, agreeable user interface. G-Mail has now reverted to plain HTML as it used to be, instead of the more modern interface on FF3.6.3.

I had always thought Windows 98 was just useless for browsing, for whatever reason. I've heard that YouTube is now useless with some earlier versions of Opera (that use the old engine), due to the heavy JavaScript (or, "JavaSludge") interface - and this was on Windows XP installations.

It really is a shame the internet couldn't be written by talented developers, rather than useless "Script-Kiddies" who run someone else's poorly coded slop, slap more slop on top and make the experience terrible on all but the most bleeding-edge machines. And even then, it can be pretty dismal (My experience on some sites with a Macbook on Mavericks kinda shows this).

This, IMO, is why we have faster CPU's. Developers are just lazy now, since upgrades are cheap and technology moves fast enough to make bloated software look "fine" in just a day.

Yeah, just feels like everything has become very bland these days moving on past the web 2.0 era. Here we are in the days of multi core processing, yet we have OSs like Windows 8 that mimic the behavior of a mobile device on a standard PC (Not saying that's entirely bad nor hating on 8x) Tablets are in desperate attempt to wipe out the wide use of the desktop PC, to some extent I guess would be more simplified. The cost is great though. Freedom of choice. That would force us to sacrifice our choice of OS and run whatever that device comes shipped with, hardware would be locked into whatever you buy it as. Just to many downsides, Moving along to web browsing, although enriched with new capabilities is lacking some of the most crucial, yet simplest of elements. A user friendly UI that has decent continuity with the host OS it is being used on. Basic elements like an informative status bar to report back the status of active loading WebPages, grouped buttons for ease of use in basic operations, even RSS. Can you believe such a basic feature like subscribing RSS feeds are so **** hard to come by in modern browsers? Sure they all pretty much come pre-packaged with such a minor and simple functionality, but access to it is so buried away from the GUI that you might as well just consider it removed.

Lastly things have just become plain boring. From OSs starting to look as though they were designed by Fisher Price, watered down web browsers, even websites themselves. Uglier designs, slower rendering times due to massive amounts of scripting put into it (yet it still looks like ****). Google takes the lead for that. lol :P

Still run a lot of older gen software on here actually. Lot of 2009-2010 era stuff. Google Earth 7 is so incredibly slow even with a fully upgraded machine it's downright pathetic, that resulted in me downgrading to version 5.0. Aka the BS free edition of Earth before it became bloated like the rest of Google's products. uTorrent 2.0 which is totally ad free and graphically more Vista/7 Aero themed. Skype 5 for obvious reasons. Must I really explain how awful 6x really is? Messenger I still really like, have that patched to continue logging in. Vegas, well no complaints with the latest Vegas Pro. Adobe I have mixed feelinsg about. I just stick to the CS3x/Macromedia editions of Adobe's suites. Web browing as of now. Pale Moon. Not as good as FF3, but better than anything else out there.

Edited by 11ryanc

Opera 10.10 can't run youtube easily anymore, it's just all around glitchy. Opera 9.64 and 10.63 are ok for youtube. I prefer 10.63.

Opera 10.10 can't run youtube easily anymore, it's just all around glitchy. Opera 9.64 and 10.63 are ok for youtube. I prefer 10.63.

Last time I checked Opera 11 seemed ok with YouTube. Not very fast though. Any ideas on getting extensions to install in previous Opera builds? Adblock is a must, especially on slower end computers running 98/ME.

Edited by 11ryanc

• 6 months later...

Not that this would really be of much use to Windows 9x users, but I did partially find some workarounds to get Firefox 3.x more usable with things. Performed a User Agent Override with the following; Opera/9.80 (Firefox 3.6) Also installed Chrome View.

I use basic Google HTML, triggered with Opera 8 UA. Facebook mostly works, DeviantART for the most part works except for backspace, my preferred search engines are alright etc. Some email services don't work out too well, however I have all my accounts synced into Thunderbird 3.1. Biggest problem so far is YouTube, which no matter what I do notifications and commenting system is broken for the past several months. But considering GooTube hates any non Chrome browser, doesn't really matter to me. I'm still waiting for YouTube to a Chrome exclusive product.

So basically it's all about a game of luck with browser User Agents, and having a secondary later browser for when you hit rock bottom. So far my experience has been smooth reinstalling Firefox 3.6.28 back on here, with the exception of YouTube.

Firefox 3.x and Opera pre-12 where simply the best. This new Chrome fad is really getting old to me.

Pale Moon is a good one, I've been using it on and off the past 2 years. But no, it doesn't support 9x for those wondering. I've tested it on Win2k and works great, assuming you have UUR. What I lean on a bit more is SeaMonkey though, paired with Sea Fox addon. I'm not sure anyone has been able to test it on 9x, but I can use it no problems on 2k and Vista.