Well, Outlook Express will have a single .dbx for "Inbox" and another single one for "Sent" at any given time.
What you see as "Inbox" from within OE is only a link to a .dbx file, which by default is called "Inbox.dbx, but for all that matters could be called MickeyMouse.dbx, same goes for "Sent".
It sounds like *somehow* at *some time* in the past the two original .dbx's (those without brackets and numbers) were unavailable to a session of Outlook Express, which then decided to create new ones.
WHY exactly those files were unavailable at that given moment is good question, but possibly not worth the time to investigate.
Now, generally speaking, a good idea would be to NOT use OE anymore , but of course this is only my personal opinion.
Since I believe what you want is instead to "fix" the Inbox and Sent messages databases and continue using it, this is what I would do if I were you:
1) Close OE (if open) AND disconnect from the internet (a good idea would be to print this post on paper)
2) make a copy in another directory (say C:\myolddbx ) of ALL the .dbx files you found.
3) Rename the folders in the actual original location as follows:
Inbox.dbx -> Old_Inbox.dbx
Inbox (1).dbx -> Empty_Inbox.dbx
Inbox (2).dbx -> New_Inbox.dbx
Sent.dbx -> Old_Sent.dbx
Sent (1).dbx -> New_Sent.dbx
4) move the above 5 files to another directory (say C:\myworkdbx )
5) Open OE and open the Inbox and Sent folders
6) Observe the original location, in theory a new Inbox.dbx and a new Sent.dbx files should be created
7) It is possible that you will need to double click open the "Inbox" and "Sent" folders in OE to have the actual files be created
8) from OE create a new folder named EXACTLY like the corresponding .dbx in C:\myworkdbx for each of these (EXACTLY, only without the .dbx extension)
9) like in #7 above double click open each of the folders and make sure the corresponding (empty) .dbx file is created in the original location
10) close OE
11) copy back the files from C:\myworkdbx to the original location, overwriting the newly created (empty) corresponding files
12) open OE and move messages from within it as you see fit
13) once having double and tripled checked that everything is as you like it to be, delete the renamed folders you don't need anymore (they will go in "deleted items")
14) test again that everything is OK, then empty the "deleted items"
15) close OE
16) reconnect to the internet
17) clean the mess in the other folders C:\myworkdbx and C:\myolddbx (or use them as backup, etc.)
18) have fun
If you have doubts about any of the steps above, ask for clarifications BEFORE doing something that you may later regret.
Edited by jaclaz, 23 February 2014 - 08:32 AM.