Jerky Unstable Video on x64 Ultimate

Jody Thornton

OK, I'm not home right now, but I'll do that later if I can. But imagine dragging a window and ii stops moving for a moment; then redraws across the screen. Or else it leaves trails on the screen until the video refreshes.

Also, imagine scrolling down, and it stops scrolling for a moment; then it moves halfway down the page. The movments are not fluid.

The link that I posted in #7 describes the issue exactly. Look down a few posts on that page.

Edited by JodyThornton

Actually, the link describes high CPU usage and slow performance, but I didn't see it mention jerky screen display, though the "solution" of disabling Memory Remapping is the same. Overall, that link and your experience are indeed both seemingly pointing to a driver issue being the real problem.

Cheers and Regards

Hmm I actually think it's that certain devices just don't like my bios' implmentation of memory remapping. The drivers all exhibit the same thing, no matter what revision. Anyway, here are some still images of the windows being dragged. When "Computer" is dragged atop of Event Viewer, it's REALLY visible, but you can see a trial on the second desktop image too.

RedrawIssues.jpg

No no - Aero does it too. Trust me. It has NOTHING to do with Vista Basic or theme (you name it). I placed the ATI Radeon Card back in and it works just fine. So I've placed my thermal fan on high to avoid overheating.

The fellow on the HP site has the same issue bang on. OK CPU usage is high (as opposed to my mentioning video), but he mentions performance being affected. It all goes away on the affected adapter when he turns off memory remapping.

That's OK. I appreciate everyones help. I'll look for a replacement video adapter.

Cheers Everyone! :)

I'm not sure how much of a help this will be, but FWIW this same effect happens to me on three machines (one XP, one Vista, and one 7) with add-on GPUs that I dedicate to a distributed-computing project. The graphics cards are loaded enough with DC work that dragging windows across the screen creates the same (or a similar) jerky visual effect.

Unfortunately, none of those machines has more than 3GB of RAM, so their situation isn't directly comparable to yours. But with any luck, this report might yield some useful clue as to what you're facing.

--JorgeA

Well I appreciate the help JorgeA. The ATI card has been stable in the PCI-E slot. What I did differently this time was enable the option ROM on the PCI-E slot. It wasn't before. Maybe that's stopping the crashes. But the display artifacts have disappeared. And I have all 7 gb of RAM accessible.

:)

So here's how I solved this issue (at least to to my satisfaction.)

I downloaded (upon advice to someone else posted on an old forum) the 81.38 nVidia Forceware (I think that was the version number). It contained an x64 driver for the GeForce 6200 for Windows XP x64 Edition from 2005. I had my doubts, but sure enough!..............

It worked! The video redraws flawlessly with no hesitation, jerkiness, or delay. It detects the OS as Longhorn. There are a couple of catches (none of them that directly affect me however)

- a - No Aero support (I wanted Windows Basic anyway)

- b - Don't try running the Performance Index (WEI) application. You'll get a BSOD. D'oh!

- c - The Square boxes in Ccleaner have an odd black shadow behind them. But that's no biggie.

So it appears my problems are solved for GOOD!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Edited by JodyThornton