Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

IBM ThinkPad 560 makes strange sounds instead of booting

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dhmmjoph

dhmmjoph
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 29-December 13

A few hours ago I was given an IBM ThinkPad 560 (not the 560Z, which seems to show up in more google search results) to get working as a project.  I took it home, plugged in the power adapter, flipped the switch on the side to turn it on, and heard it make the following noises:

(It's not that loud IRL; I just had the camera really close to wherever the noise was coming from).

Occasionally, the screen (or maybe just the backlight?) will flash (see 2:10 in the video).  It will keep doing this until I unplug the power cord.

I really have no idea what's going on here, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had an idea.

Thanks in advance!

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

1 - Try cleaning the heck out of it.

2 - Why isn't this in the Hardware section of the Forum? It has nothing to do with 9x/ME.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

A few hours ago I was given an IBM ThinkPad 560 (not the 560Z, which seems to show up in more google search results) to get working as a project.  I took it home, plugged in the power adapter, flipped the switch on the side to turn it on, and heard it make the following noises:

(It's not that loud IRL; I just had the camera really close to wherever the noise was coming from).

Occasionally, the screen (or maybe just the backlight?) will flash (see 2:10 in the video).  It will keep doing this until I unplug the power cord.

I really have no idea what's going on here, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had an idea.

Thanks in advance!

OT: oddly reminds me of space invaders. Though I can say the clicken is probabbly the harddrive (past experience with many broken ones). Curious though why this laptop my school is full of them and no one can stand the things. (Though the majority of my class thought that windows 7 computers with windows classic apperarence were old as dirt :w00t:)

Edited by Flasche, 16 February 2014 - 01:08 PM.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It sounds like there is something in the fan.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

bonestonne

bonestonne

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Joined 27-July 05

Pull the floppy out, pull the HDD out.

Also try swapping the RAM if you can (or pulling it and seeing if it changes behaviors).

Used to have a 560 myself, never got anything like that out of it.

New Machine:
|Dual Intel Xeon E5-2620--Xigmatek SD1283 DK-II x2|Asus Z9PA-D8--HR-55 IFX|Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD SATA3|32gb DDR3-1600 ECC RDIMM|WD Blue 640GB SATA2 x2|Apple Slim Keyboard|Apple Mighty Mouse|nVidia GTX660ti 2GB|Antec HCG-750|NZXT Source 210 Elite|M-Audio ProFire 2626|Art TubeOpto8 with Smooth Plate Tube Swap|Avid Artist Mix x2|Acer S211 HL-BD x2|

Old Machine:
||Core 2 Quad Q9400||Scythe Ninja||MSI Neo P45||Thermalright HR-05||M-Audio ProFire 2626||Cooler Master Elite 330||
||Apple Mighty Mouse||150GB WD Raptor HDD||640GB WD Blue||HL DVD+/-RW||nVidia GTX260||
||8GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel||Corsair 400CW PSU||Dell basic USB KB||150GB WD Raptor||2x 22" LCD||
||Boston Acoustic mains + Creative sub||Innovation Cooling Diamond 7 TIM||

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users