Alternative methods to change OS boot on Dual Boot.

Dogway

I have XP set as default OS, the problem is that I want to boot to 7 when using the PC as a HTPC, but when I do so the only HID device I have available is a XBOX360 Joystick, which I tested and doesn't work on the boot menu.

So I'm trying to find a way to solve this. What devices apart of keyboards work on boot menus? Do those infrared controllers work?

Another option is to edit the boot loader (7's boot loader) to default to boot to 7 (from XP if that's possible) every time I want to do this, but I don't think it's a so nice idea to write to the MBR so frequently.

Another option is to edit the boot loader (7's boot loader) to default to boot to 7 (from XP if that's possible) every time I want to do this, but I don't think it's a so nice idea to write to the MBR so frequently.

Well, if it helps you :), the boot loader (7's boot loader) does not reside in the MBR.

jaclaz

Great! I might just use that.

Now that I'm here, to clear the other question, what type of device do I need to operate on POST, boot menu, etc?

Keyboard, mouse, joystick, pen tablet, remote controller, they are all HIDs, but AFAIK only keyboards work, why is this?

and what's considered a keyboard?

why a remote controller cannot be passed as a keyboard, because technically it's a board with keys...

Do I always need a half meter keyboard to manage on BIOS, boot menus, etc?