Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Process randomly stuck waiting for an svchost.exe thread?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
So I've been randomly having a weird issue, namely programs not starting/displaying their window. Going to task manager -> details tab and selecting "view wait chain" shows the process waiting for an svchost.exe thread.

Does anyone have an idea why this could be happening? The program will only start after I
a) restart the pc
B) kill that svchost.exe thread

Choosing B) unsurprisingly leads to weird side effects, for example action center suddenly saying my antivirus is inactive while the antivirus itself says "all green". Might have something to do with that, but I don't see any activity from the antivirus (avast) when the app hangs, and it's not always the same. So far it has happened to 3-4 different programs, so I don't really see a connection.

Any help appreciated.
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

Do you have more that the basic Shields active with Avast?

I'm not seeing stalls like what you describe, and I only have the 3 Shields active and the one Tool that checks the installation status of various software packages.  Plus, I have de-configured the "Deep Screen" feature, as it was downright intrusive, blocking things while it went off to ask the Avast server permission to run this or that.

-Noel

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 25-April 13
I only have the basic+web shield running. I'm going to try disabling the deepscan feature and see if I get any issues.
One more thing I forgot to mention, it seems things have settled down once I disabled fast startup...
AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users