Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

Phenomic

Phenomic

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 31-July 09

@herbalist Unfortunately, the great size of SP4 can be a disadvantage. Howewer, I'll try to help anyone willing to remove some of its components by publishing the source files used to build the SP4 (except for the certificate used to digitally sign all updated files).

You can modify the update.inf and the other information files, so that they contain only the necessary files for your needs. I have left my comments in the INF files intact (except for the layout/txtsetup/dosnet ones) specifically for that purpose- to help you customizing these files.

There is no perfect solution for any problem. I have tried to make SP4 fully customizable but, on the other hand, only advanced users will have the skills to complete the task.

Have you checked with the guy who compiled the unofficial Windows 2000 update?  I remember he'd mentioned that the installer was trunkating some long registry entries.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

@Phenomic Fortuunately I haven't experienced such issues with the latest version of the package installer.

PS.  Gurgelmeyer, the 2k USP5 developer, has disappeared since 2006

Phenomic

Phenomic

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 31-July 09

@Phenomic Fortuunately I haven't experienced such issues with the latest version of the package installer.

PS.  Gurgelmeyer, the 2k USP5 developer, has disappeared since 2006

The unofficial win2k update project is still up and running, updated kernel, etc.  It uses some XP components, so I thought their experience might be useful to you.

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

This fixit file MUST be used ONLY BY THOSE WHO DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED THE 28 OCTOBER 2014 FINAL VERSION:

http://www.adrive.co...tfx35_fixit.reg

It fixes issues with .NET Framework 3.5 servicing!

A new version of SP4 Final is being uploaded to address this specific issue.

Edited by harkaz, 01 November 2014 - 03:06 PM.

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Windows XP SP4 Source Files have been uploaded to Google Drive. You can download the rar file there and examine these files if you want to create a similar service pack for another language or with a different set of components.

No documentation is provided. Use your own software publishing certificate to digitally sign the modified/updated files.

Ztruker

Ztruker

• 18 posts
  • Joined 22-March 07

I can't filed the file to download: WindowsXP-USP4-NOPOS-x86-ENU.exe

Looked in all of these locations:

Create 6 Bootable Floppy Disks Oct 16
Documentation Oct 7
ISO for SP4 Installer Oct 16
Patched Files Oct 7
Post-SP4 Update Pack Oct 16
Post-SP4 Update Repository Oct 16
Torrent Oct 29
Unofficial SP4 Source FilesNov 4
URLMON Nov 5
Without post-EOL Update Support Oct 16

Where is the iso to download?

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

I'm preparing a new fixed version and I have removed all files.

The new files will be available soon.

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Removing this key fixes an issue with time reporting in some applications: 

HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment","TZ",0,"MEZ-1MESZ-2"

The next, upcoming SP4 Final fix will address this isue, as well as Office 2007 and Rosebud 12 regression issues.

Ztruker

Ztruker

• 18 posts
  • Joined 22-March 07

I'm preparing a new fixed version and I have removed all files.

The new files will be available soon.

Okay, thanks.

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Download hashes and torrent for the fixed Final version are available.

This version of SP4 Final has undergone extensive testing. It has been tested successfully in the following scenario:

Clean Install -> Install .NET Framework 4.0 -> Install Visual Studio 2005 Standard ENU-> Run Microsoft Update and install all updates -> Install Visual Studio 2008 Profesional ENU -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates (these include some Office 2007 ones) -> Install Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate -> Run Microsoft Update and install updates.

All components have been serviced successfully.

This version fixes:

- A time zone issue reported by GH0st
- An important problem with WIC in CD-ROM installations. This would cause several .NET programs to crash.
- Regression issue with Rosebud 12 and Office 2007 servicing.
- urlmon.dll is missing after slipstreaming.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,466 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Per harkaz at RyanVM @9:53AM:
Don't start downlaoding because .NET Framework 4.0 servicing needs some extra fixes.

The files don't exist *yet* but I'm sure they *will*, so have patience (like me). ;)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Windows XP SP4 Final Version 2.0 is now available!

This version brings fixes to the original Final release:

- Fixes issues with .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0 servicing. .NET framework is now fully compatible with the .NET Framework repair tool.
- Enables uninstallation of future .NET updates.
- Fixes issues with Rosebud installation and Office 2007
- Fixes issues with Starter Edition slipstreaming
- Fixes issues with Windows Imaging Component registration
- Fixes issues with time reporting in many applications.

Spoiler

Ztruker

Ztruker

• 18 posts
  • Joined 22-March 07

Okay, thanks. Downloading now.

Thank you for the great work you have done with this.

win2kreviver

win2kreviver
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 21-January 13

I agree, great job.  I will try it out as soon as possible. Thanks for giving instructions in the order the updates need to be installed.

Bersaglio

Bersaglio
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-October 14

Sorry for the noob question but why it was necessary to integrate Internet Explorer 8 in this distribution? It is well known that Windows XP is based on Internet Explorer 6 which is very closely integrated with the operating system's kernel and IE6 security updates contain updates for several Windows XP system files. Therefore IE6 security updates declare themselves as 'Security updates for Windows XP' and not as 'Security updates for IE6'. Internet Explorer 8(and 7 too) are like foreign objects for Windows XP. Security updates for IE7/8 are totally independent from Windows XP and won't update those system files. Novadays it's better not to use Internet Explorer in Windows XP for internet surfing anyway and choose a modern secure browser (like Chrome or Firefox). But at the same time it's better to have the system files updated to the latest versions IMO. Sorry for my English...

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,172 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Still, it makes sense to have the latest version of Internet Explorer installed. In reference to IE7, Wikipedia states:

Large amounts of the underlying architecture, including the rendering engine and security framework, had been completely overhauled [in IE7]. Partly as a result of security enhancements, the browser became a stand-alone application, rather than integrated with the Windows shell, and was no longer capable of acting as a file browser.

IE8 was built upon IE7's strengths, including isolation from the operating system. The specific system files you're referring to are browseui.dll, dxtmsft.dll, dxtrans.dll, ieencode.dll, shdocvw.dll and tdc.ocx. All but one of these files are updated by the IE8 installer--one presumes to help isolate the web browser from the OS. This would explain why they are no longer updated after the installation of IE8. The only file not updated by the IE8 installer is ieencode.dll. And I'd posit that IE no longer has need of this file.

harkaz

harkaz

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

The November 2014 post-SP4 Update Pack has been released.

This update pack must be used with Windows XP SP4 Version 2- integrated media to Clean install Windows XP SP4 + all post-SP4 updates until November 2014 on your system.

Latest Version: 22 November 2014

READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: UNLIKE ALL OTHER UPDATE PACKS its integration is done in 3 steps:

1. Integrate the 7Z FILE in SP4 media using nLite or RyanVm Integrator. DO NOT perform any other tweaks YET. Close nLite or RyanVM Integrator and proceed with step 2.
2. Copy the CMPNENTS folder from the ZIP FILE to the installation directory.
3A. If you're using HOME Edition copy the HOME\I386\hivesft.inf file from the ZIP FILE to the I386 subfolder of the installation folder. OR:
3B. If you're using PROFESSIONAL Edition copy the PRO\I386\hivesft.inf file from the ZIP FILE to the I386 subfolder of the installation folder.

WARNING: The post-sp4 update pack, unlike Windows XP Service Pack 4 v2, has undergone limited testing! It's designed primarily for Clean, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM-based installations

This update pack is based on Onepiece's .NET Framework addons and 5eraph's POSReady addon.

Verification Information for the UPDATE PACK:
1. SP4addon-Nov14.7z (22450838 bytes): MD5 - 93216D5D89ED33A314C1D087051DE417
2. sp4addon-manualcopy-Nov14.zip (22658042 bytes): MD5 - A4142AF8D18B8AC59522C0AA6604A246

Download from Post-SP4 Update Pack Google Drive folder.

esecallum

esecallum

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Joined 21-November 06

I am writing to ask if this SP4 will solve the issues of XP only seeing 4 gb of ram and also if it will allow it to be used on Haswell motherboards.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,890 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
No on the 4 gig part those hacks are not reliable and people around these parts won't add them in due to that

dimitris77

dimitris77

• 19 posts
  • Joined 17-October 14

Hello is there a greek version of the sp4?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,017 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hello is there a greek version of the sp4?

No. :no:
There is ONLY the EN version, and it is intended for the ENglish version only, unfortunately.

jaclaz

glnz

glnz

• 12 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Once again, this forum is amazing.

Just today, Jan 31, 2015, I installed XP Mode in Windows 7 - my first try ever at virtualization. As all you experts here know a hundred times better than I, it's XP SP3.

So exactly what steps do I take to get and run all the post-SP3 updates better and faster than just running Windows Update in XP Mode for three weeks (AND so that the Windows Update in XP Mode knows that they've been installed)?

I know it's this thread, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.  What do I download, how do I paste it into XP Mode, and then what buttons do I push to run the downloads super-fast (with Windows Update happy afterwards)?

Yup, I'm such a noob I'm like a tourist with a plastic map.

Thanks for your patience and gentle kindness!

Edited by glnz, Today, 08:02 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users