Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Licecap - useful screenshot to animated .gif recorder

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,009 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yesterday I wanted to show to a developer the behaviour of a tool of his, so, to make a small "video" of how the program behaved I got Camstudio, which is seemingly a nice program, BUT that comes as a "online installer", with (optional) programs (adware), and that nice as it might be is a huge piece of bloat, the stupid 650 Kb installer downloaded and installed some 40 Mb or so.

Then I proceeded to record the behaviour of the program, just a few seconds of "screenshot video", which turned out as a .avi file some 262 Mb in size :w00t:.

Being the smart guy I am ;), I quickly fired up good ol' virtualdub :thumbup: and quickly converted the .avi to an animated .gif, which resulted in some 1 Mb file, perfectly clear and visible.

Problem solved. :yes:

Today I checked a bit around if there was a simpler solution, and found in no time the nice Licecap  B)  :

http://www.cockos.com/licecap/

which plainly and simply and directly records screenshots to animated ,gif.

Don't be (too) fooled by the:

LICEcap v1.24 for Windows (12/29/13) (300kb installer)

the file \licecap124-install.exe opens allright with 7-zip and contains licecap.exe 145.484 bytes in size which works fine even if double clicked from within 7-zip. (the installer file also contains the source)

I tried replicating the same actions I had recorded yesterday and, including a "title screenshot" I obtained a similarly sized (actually a tidbit smaller) 1 Mb file, also perfectly clear and with the added bonus of highlighting with a circle mouse clicks.

The morals of the story are:

1. small is beautiful, and small and fully portable is even better.
  2. you don't need a cannon to shoot a fly

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,172 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

Very nice. :)

tain