Getting 1600 x 1200 resolution on a new PC

ppgrainbow

Hey there again! :hello:

I installed the latest NVIDIA GeForce driver (version 334.89) on this ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard and prior to installing the drivers for the EVGA 8400GS 1 GB GDDR3 graphics card, I was capable of getting display resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 @ 65 Hz on this Dell M782 CRT monitor.

But when I installed the drivers, I was limited to 1280 x 1024 resolution @ 75 Hz. :(

When I used Windows 2000, I had no problems getting resolutions as high as 1600 x 1200, but this is not the case with Windows Vista x64 running on this new graphics card.

Is there a way to get around this limitation?

Edited by ppgrainbow

See if this helps/can workaround the issue :unsure::

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=1

jaclaz

Thank you very much! I added 1600 x 1200 as the standard resolution and it worked without problems.

I will reboot the computer to make sure that this resolution sticks and update to see if it works or not. Be right back. :)

Update: I rebooted the computer and it worked! That was pretty easy thing to do. :thumbup

Edited by ppgrainbow

For nVidia cards, this should be accomplishable in the default Control Panel under Display -> Change Resolution -> Customize -> Enable resolutions not exposed by display (or adding a custom one). One of the few positives of nVidia.