Can an acer aspire one aoa150 run windows Me

Flasche

Occasionally I will try to see if Windows Me would run on one of my acer aspire one aoa150s, but The install doesn't work. It tells me there are no drivers. Anyone know if its even possible for it to run, and not be a lost cause for me to constantly try. It came with windows xp 32 bit. My snid is 84718388625 http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Edited by Flasche

Does Windows finish installing? Or does it abort. What drivers exactly is it missing?

I installed Windows ME onto some Dell Optiplex (can't remember the model) that came with XP originally.

After Windows ME installed the video was VGA 16 colors 640x480, there was no sound, no modem detected, no nothing. I had to track down some older parts and make sure they had drivers. Eventually I was able to get most of it working.

I don't know if that's quite like what your describing, because In my experience, Windows at least installed, albeit looking like something from the Windows 3.1 era.

But to answer your question... I don't know :-)

Edited by LostInSpace2012

I think what Flasche is saying that when you boot from the CD-ROM, there are no drivers for the SATA CD-ROM drive, since the Oak driver only does IDE drives and has no support for SATA.

If this is the case, try this. If your computer has any USB ports which I'm assuming it does, insert a flash drive and see if the computer detects it as a drive in the BIOS. If it does, you might be a bit in luck. Copy the Win9x folder from your Me CD-ROM to the flash drive and boot the computer with the flash drive inserted and boot from the CD. It will of course tell you there are no CD-ROM devices found and that's okay because it can still get your to DOS prompt. Once there, try either the d:\ or I've even had it go to b:\ and if it's your flash drive, you can use the Win9x folder on it that you copied over. FDISK is loaded in the RAM disk during this time so it's always available by using the fdisk prompt. Do the partitioning thing and reboot and get to DOS prompt again using the above method. The do x:\win9x\format c: (X being your flash drive letter) and do a format. Then once that is finished, you do x:\win9x\setup and you can go from there. I almost recommend doing setup /P i just so it doesn't install it as a plug and play BIOS which can cause problems. Then you install as usual. You won't have access to your CD drive in Windows either, but at least you can get that far (hopefully!) and Windows Me has default drivers for flash drives so you can always use your flash drive to transfer stuff over and possibly get it online. Give it a try!

I did this exact thing with my all SATA Dell Vostro computer and it worked just fine. I'm still to get the CD-ROM drive going but it's not priority right now. If you want the quick easy way to at least getting Windows going, this will probably be it.

Hmmm... Methinks Tommy may have hit on the "problem".

Flasche -

- How familiar are you with code inside AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS?

- How familiar are you with extracting/replacing the Boot Image of a CD (where the above are located)?

If that's indeed the problem (PC boots but Driver "can't find" a CD Drive) then you need to use an alternative CD Driver. I'll try to find the appropriate threads with links. Also, Dell has a "specialized" one that works but it's proprietary (can't be posted or linked to).

Here is a semi-pertinent thread that names -one/an- alternative.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/160550-shsucdx-cd-rom-driver-and-fshare-issues/

Several more -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140982-cant-read-dvd-drive-in-dos-mode/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/147545-create-a-bootable-cddvd-from-a-set-of-floppies/page-2

Note the above has something posted by me about SATA-connected drives. Here's the link to the thread -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/159780-question-about-rloew-sata-driver/

Links to latest version of proposed replacement -

http://www.freedos.org/software/?prog=shsucdx

Edited by submix8c

Well, just for the record in my day we copied the source the to the internal hard disk, you know, like:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/laptopinstall98stepbystep1/indexfullpage.htm

(as a matter of fact we did FORMAT /S and rebooted to the internal disk, and using SMARTDRV does make a difference)

...and we LIKED it!

http://tinyapps.org/blog/misc/200702250700_why_in_my_day.html

BTW, this has traditionally worked also for NT, 2K and XP (as long as NTFS wasn't involved/needed, or a later CONVERT was an option):

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16713

...kids today.

jaclaz

Its a net-book so it wont have a native cd drive, so I must use a usb one. Though I think Tommy is right for it says No valid CDROM drivers selected. I have no experience with AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS. I'll follow your links and advice to try and follow through and see how it goes.

...kids today.

jaclaz

Warning opinion starts here---The reasons why things are the way they are today, is because of past generations spoon feeding the younger generations so much that now my generation just expects an answer to be there. Crocks are leading the media and tell us its OK to watched, and Bad is cool good drools. The world's freedom is being stolen from under our noses. Political parties are so corrupt (Like they did anything anyway) that no side can be trusted.---opinion end. I'm not yelling at you or anyone, but just stating my thoughts, and curious to see others.

Edited by Flasche

AHHHH! NOW I remember! Had the same problem when I "fixed" a neighbors - had to create ISO images, transfer to my PC and "burn" afterwards.

Houston, we have a slight problem. You need some kind of DOS-based USB-CD driver. As jaclaz said (this MAY work)...

I believe you have XP, right? Create a basic (SMALL one) LiveXP (WinBuilder), make it load into RAM (should be enough on one of those), eject the CD, run COMMAND.COM (make sure the XP one is on the LiveXP ISO image), stick the WinME in, recreate the Partition Scheme as necessary (using FDISK/FORMAT), copy "WIN9X" folder to HDD, run COMMAND.COM , run the copied "C:WIN9X\SETUP.EXE" as appropriate.

Random musings - a close guestimate of how-to - you need the ME-version of the MBR/PBR AFAICR by using ME FDISK/FORMAT before proceeding.

Sorry, no time to elaborate (or test) right now. Others will assist after you just think about it.

AHHHH! NOW I remember! Had the same problem when I "fixed" a neighbors - had to create ISO images, transfer to my PC and "burn" afterwards.

Houston, we have a slight problem. You need some kind of DOS-based USB-CD driver. As jaclaz said (this MAY work)...

I believe you have XP, right? Create a basic (SMALL one) LiveXP (WinBuilder), make it load into RAM (should be enough on one of those), eject the CD, run COMMAND.COM (make sure the XP one is on the LiveXP ISO image), stick the WinME in, recreate the Partition Scheme as necessary (using FDISK/FORMAT), copy "WIN9X" folder to HDD, run COMMAND.COM , run the copied "C:WIN9X\SETUP.EXE" as appropriate.

Random musings - a close guestimate of how-to - you need the ME-version of the MBR/PBR AFAICR by using ME FDISK/FORMAT before proceeding.

Sorry, no time to elaborate (or test) right now. Others will assist after you just think about it.

Well... I had xp, but now its mageia 3 linux. Would it be the same though.

You need some kind of DOS-based USB-CD driver. As jaclaz said (this MAY work)...

Well no :no:, IF jaclaz said something, it WILL work :yes:. ;)

But really, the simpler way would be to use a USB stick (and NOT a USB CD, nor a driver for it which jaclaz never mentioned, though it is as well entirely possible).

There is no need whatsoever to use/need the Me MBR, any MBR would do, as long as it can chainload an active partition (and the bootsector or PBR of the active partition invokes the Me io.sys).

Warning opinion starts here---The reasons why things are the way they are today, is because of past generations spoon feeding the younger generations so much that now my generation just expects an answer to be there. Crocks are leading the media and tell us its OK to watched, and Bad is cool good drools. The world's freedom is being stolen from under our noses. Political parties are so corrupt (Like they did anything anyway) that no side can be trusted.---opinion end. I'm not yelling at you or anyone, but just stating my thoughts, and curious to see others.

Maybe there is also *somehow* the complicity of the current generation accepting the spoon feeding in a passive and uncritical way. :unsure:

Anyway, I don't want to be accused of spoon feeding anyone, so I will refrain from posting any further detail on the suggested procedure, I will only mention that nowadyas it would involve grub4dos, exchanging disk order, and mapping a floppy image in RAM....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Maybe there is also *somehow* the complicity of the current generation accepting the spoon feeding in a passive and uncritical way. :unsure:

Of course that's how it happened in the first place. Now look at the mess.

Anyway, I don't want to be accused of spoon feeding anyone, so I will refrain from posting any further detail on the suggested procedure, I will only mention that nowadyas it would involve grub4dos, exchanging disk order, and mapping a floppy image in RAM....

jaclaz

Hmm, but I was not accusing you I did say "I'm not yelling at you". I was referring to teachers, and professors. Are they all bad, of course not, but I personally seen a teacher in action trying to indoctrinate information into my class. It was a sad moment. Besides my generation is at huge fault. Mine is so bratty and ungrateful It makes me angry to just listen to them talk.

(<<== smacks head against wall...)

"Random musings"

Trade you two screaming grandkids and a mate that thinks a bigger house cures cat scratching on furniture for a little peace/think-time.

:crazy:

Heed jaclaz' suggestion.

Revamp: Pull the Image and boot to it via UFD/Grub4DOS (also Mount the ISO Image), FDISK/FORMAT, copy WIN9X folder, reboot to HDD, run SETUP.

(did I get it "more right" this time?)

Heed jaclaz' suggestion.

Revamp: Pull the Image and boot to it via UFD/Grub4DOS (also Mount the ISO Image), FDISK/FORMAT, copy WIN9X folder, reboot to HDD, run SETUP.

(did I get it "more right" this time?)

Almost :yes:.

The given link:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16713

provides a detailed ten steps sequence that can be easily adapted to install 9X/Me instead of XP.

The advantage of using a grub4dos based stick would be that you can exchange disks (thus not needing the FreeDOS FDISK) and boot to a "standard" floppy disk image (that will be "A:").

It remains however, even if using grub4dos, IMHO easier/safer to just plainly extract the contents of the .iso (with 7-zip or using any virtual disk/disc driver).

jaclaz