XP slows down over time?

pointertovoid

Hi there Xp users!

I've had W95, 98se, Me, 2k - and since two years, XP, just because one necessary piece of hardware demands it.

I didn't understand before why people complained that "Windows" gets slower over time, because I had not seen that with W95, W2k, not even 98se and Me. Always thought it resulted from bloating applications not kept under control.

Though, my own Xp gets slow. No hardware excuse: Core 2 duo E8600 "Wolfdale" @4GHz, 4GB, P45 ich10r, X25-E - more than enough. I also have 2k on this machine and it's as snappy as on its first day, impressive; only Xp, which was quick when fresh, gets slooooow.

Is that a known behaviour by Xp? Or do I need to look for other explanations?

Thanks!

I always saw it on 9x systems. Never on an NT based systems. It's the "junk" you put on it that would make it slow down over time.

I defrag my OS drive (don't bother with the rest) about once a year and don't notice any seat of the pants improvement when I do it. Maybe it's just me.

I used to do it religiously when I had slow as* small drives.

Defrag, junk: not on my computer.

No. Yes. You're welcome. ;)

Thank you!

GHAK! Really?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-disk-defragmentation#1TC=windows-7

(Note - applies to ANY Operating System)

Over time, both the file and the volume itself become fragmented, and your computer slows down as it has to look in different places to open a single file.
..and there's even a specialized one (freeware) to defrag your NT PageFile and HIV's. In addition there are many that are also freeware that do an eve better job than MS' built-in one. You must enjoy the sound of your HDD jumping all over the place to get the whole file. Heck, even Mainframes "defrag" occasionally to speed access up. ;)

All these systems will slow down if you add and remove software to them, which leaves behind registry keys, and causes fragmentation in registry and disk space from the bits thad did get removed. That is easily cured with defragmentation. But best prevented by separating System from Temp files from Swap, Games and other Data files, into disk partititions, so that adding a game doesn't cause much changes to the system.

If the system is booted and run with the same set of applications, I don't expect it to slow down much.

I'd examine the hard disk with MyDefrag to find bits that can't be defragmented by the usual means (NTFS UsnJrnl file, FAT32 directory entries), and find ways to get rid of them. MyDefrag's own forum is a good resource. Large data files can be defragmented the best if you can temporarily move them to another disk and then back to the now empty original location.

My main system has been running for seven years. I didn't know it was this many before I looked. And it's been put through a lot.

windows-xp-uptime-date.png

It does seem to me that it gets slower after a long uptime. This is most noticeable when accessing partitions that are fragmented. Cured by a reboot.

Edited by j7n

I defrag my OS drive (don't bother with the rest) about once a year and don't notice any seat of the pants improvement when I do it. Maybe it's just me.

I used to do it religiously when I had slow as* small drives.

needle drives do get affected much

too many jumpings around simply makes system snail

• 4 weeks later...

My OS are defragmented, that's why I shortly answered "not on my machine", or if you prefer, "that's not the cause".

With an X25-E anyway (SLC SSD), as I put in the first message, that's not an issue.

Register fragmentation? I thought the register was loaded completely in Ram at bootup. I already used registry defraggler, they made zero difference.

More generally, I didn't expect answers like "defrag" to a real disappointment I have with Xp.

Try RegCompact Pro, Registry Compressor -

http://www.experimentalscene.com/downloads/

Also, use CCleaner to ensure no "junk" in the Temporary Internet Files and delete any TEMP folder contents.

Then with a LiveXP (WinBuilder), you can delete the Pagefile and Hiberfil, then defrag the Partition. They get rebuilt on next boot.

I have a scad of "extra" software on my PC and also experience no slowdowns. Also installed since (apparently) 2006 or (maybe) 2009. Note that -any- "services" starting (including any 3'd party -or- malware) will case boot -and- operation to "slow down".

Since it's an SSD, the only other thing I can imagine is "something" is going "wrong" with it.

HTH

for speeding up XP I use: MS Defragmenter (since getting to this forum I use only the MS built one), CCleaner for temps. Regseeker for cleaning the registry and NTREGOPT for compacting. I try not to install too many programs, I search on the forums before making a decision as to which program to install.

And still the registry after compacting get bigger and bigger...

I think you know that sometimes you have to install it from scratch again or move to another OS. My record is 7 years too and ongoing with the XP (without reinstalling). ;) and I have also Win 7 beginning with 2010...

if you backup and take care of your system you can live happily with it based on your standards...

• 3 weeks later...