Bootable XP disk

parsonm

I have slip streamed my XP SP2 to SP3, with additional relevant MS updates and also the drivers for my ASUS F2A85-M MB using nLite. However, my disc is the Upgrade version and to use it, I have to use my Win 98 disc as the boot disc. Anybody know how I can upgrade my XP SP3 to a bootable disc using the info from the 98 disc - can nLite do this?

The reason for doing this is that I am trying to run my XP software as a vitual package within MS Virtual Machine. However, it keeps failing at the "Starting Windows" stage - it just stops and I end up with the black screen and no response. The integration features are not blacked out but they do not load either. I am just trying to remove as many potential ares for error as possible.

You're being unclear. The only thing I understand is "XP Upgrade, will nLite make it bootable?" This I can't say because I don't have an "upgrade" CD, but it -might-. (I do -not- know if any key components for that are "missing" from an Upgrade CD.)

Can I assume you're trying to do this on an XP Home "Virtual Machine"? You'll still have to supply a "Previous Operating System".

I'm betting something else is "wrong". Please -clearly- elaborate point-by-point, citing the Host OS, which "VM", the "VM" settings, etc.

I have slip streamed my XP SP2 to SP3, with additional relevant MS updates and also the drivers for my ASUS F2A85-M MB using nLite.

Have you made other modifications? Is the source an original MS disc ? Does it (not) show same problem ?

The host operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, which means I cannot run the MS XP mode, but I understand I can run my own version of XP. It is a new PC and has only run Win 7. The previous operating system is MS Win 98. I have downloaded and run the MS virtual machine for Win 7 and this appears to be OK. I have set the disc size to a max of 5 Meg and the RAM to 2 Meg. ( The desktop PC has 1x4Meg DDR3).

Once the virtual drive has been configured, at the relevant point I insert the slipstreamed XP SP3 disc, the PC reads it, confirms SP3 and then asks for the original WIN 98 disc. I change these over and then after reading it, asks for the XP disk back. The software then says it is copying all the files over presumeably to the hard drive and you see them being read and the progress bar moves all the way along. Once it has finished that it then says Windows is starting and just stops. The blue screen either locks up and disappears or I get the black screen which is also unresponsive.

The reason I slipstreamed the original SP2 disc is that I got a STOP error when using it and I read online that I should only use SP3.

I have used the MS routine to confirm the MB is configured to run the virtual machine.

My original post was asking if it possible to use nLite to slipstream an Upgrade XP disc with an original disc (in this case Win 98), or round the other way, so that I only have to have one disc and reduce any chance of errors.

My original post was asking if it possible to use nLite to slipstream an Upgrade XP disc with an original disc (in this case Win 98), or round the other way, so that I only have to have one disc and reduce any chance of errors.

You'll probably loose much more time trying to do that than than you are going to win working around the annoyance. And this is apparently not the source of your main problem anyway. Read this post.

What do you mean by "the MB is configured to run the virtual machine"... what's the MB ? Does the VM pass the partitioning/formating screen?

Also as Kelselellenelvian says, if you slipstream a service pack under Win7 (which you most probably did but may not have an alternative), you will probably not be able to enter a key for your XP.

Do you have links to that "stop error" being caused by SP2 (vs SP3)?

Edited by Ponch

OK, I wasn't aware that I couldn't slipstream XP SP2 to SP3 with Win 7 as the host. I will now try to install using the SP2 disk but with all the recommendations made in these forums. As a thought, could I just slipstream the ASUS drivers (to include the ACHI) into a new disk SP2 or will that not work either?

OK, I wasn't aware that I couldn't slipstream XP SP2 to SP3 with Win 7 as the host. I will now try to install using the SP2 disk but with all the recommendations made in these forums. As a thought, could I just slipstream the ASUS drivers (to include the ACHI) into a new disk SP2 or will that not work either?

You could also install SP2 as guest in a Virtual Machine (I prefer VMWare player, YMMV :whistle:) , install nLite & DotNet 2 (minimum requirement for nLite) & do all your "work" there... after you slipstream SP3 test the new ISO created by nLite in another VM...if/when all is good with the "clean" SP3 I highly recommend you use "X's" Download all Windows XP Post SP3 Updates / Hotfixes for nLite UDC script to download & then slipstream all post SP3 Updates into your CLEAN SP3 source, test again in another VM install & finally create your fully updated installation media be it CD, USB... whatever.

Edited by PinkFreud

You could also install SP2 as guest in a Virtual Machine (I prefer VMWare player, YMMV :whistle:)

If you read the very 1st post, that is what he is trying to do. :angel Once he's done with that, he could as well install SP3 in the running VM. No need for nLite here.

As additional info to the OP, you don't need AHCI drivers for the host hardware in a virtual machine. The VM has its own virtual hardware and all drivers that come with it.

You could also install SP2 as guest in a Virtual Machine (I prefer VMWare player, YMMV :whistle:)

If you read the very 1st post, that is what he is trying to do. :angel Once he's done with that, he could as well install SP3 in the running VM. No need for nLite here.

As additional info to the OP, you don't need AHCI drivers for the host hardware in a virtual machine. The VM has its own virtual hardware and all drivers that come with it.

AAMOF I have read the entire thread...this one as well :yes: ...my instrux were not specifically directed to the OP only :no: but to the OP, MSFN community & GP at large ;)

Edited by PinkFreud

When I first tried to install the XP package using the SP2, I had a STOP error but at the time my hard drives were set to AHCI. In addition I now have running two PATA drives using SATA/PATA convertors. (Ports 6 and 7 on the MB), which I now have set to IDE. MB is ASUS F2A85-M. I will try this and see what happens.

Sir: With all due respect, you were told that a VM HDD has nothing to do with the Physical HDD settings - VM HDD's are ALWAYS PATA/No-AHCI. Those settings are in the Motherboard's BIOS (or "adapter?) and are used when installing onto the Real Computer, -not- a VM!

Just set up your VM with appropriate settings, install XP-SP2 and nLite to it, use nLite to integrate "whatever", transfer the Integrated ISO to the Host (via VM's shared folders -or- a true shared folder by whatever VM Software you have - VM's do NOT care what the type of HDD is when using a Share), and test on ANOTHER VM HDD. Once it works and you have everything you need on it, Burn it. SEE POST#10 AND POST#11...

This is becoming circular. :blink:

I see. I hadn't realised the significance of what was being said. Reading the various sources of info around on installing XP on newer systems, my understanding is that XP doesn't have ACHI drivers built in and that is what I was trying to achieve. As that wasn't working, I had changed the MB options to run IDE but from what is being said here, that will not make any difference as the VM (Win 7) acts as the interface. Is this correct?