Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Textsetup won't accept nlite-DVD

- - - - - textsetup DVD Winxp error

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Hello forum,

after days of trial 'n error with nlite, I am close to just give up. I am trying to integrate all Hotfixes into XP-SP2 before microsoft removes them on april 2014. However, everytime I test my new DVD, the XP-textsetup tells me:

"Please insert Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2-CD into drive A:"

(really, it reads drive A:)

this happens before the file-copy-process, directly after the F6-screen (press F6 to apply SCSI or Raid-drivers).

I tried shrinking the DVD

I removed some unneccesary txt-drivers (there a still several left though)

I deactivated windows file protection

I tried integrating hotfixes in a different order

Still, the text-setup just won't recognize the DVD. I'm close to give up. Somebody please help.

I'm using nlite 1.9.3. For testing I use virtualbox 4.1.26 r84997. The ini-file is attached.

In nlite IE7-integration didn't work - as well as 5 or 6 other hotfixes. I think it's msxml4 and msxml6 not getting included.

Attached Files

Edited by whocares02, 21 March 2014 - 08:18 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Sorry for 5x-post! "Post-Topic"-Button didn't seem to work.

Edited by whocares02, 21 March 2014 - 07:20 PM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

You need to reattach your INI to this thread.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Done

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,688 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Your missing the cd ident files

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Can you write a bit more? Why isn't nlite adding them? Which ones do I have to add?

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

After reading this threat, I opened my nlite-iso-file and discovered that the root-folder carries no files at all. Strange thing. Could it be a bug in nlite? I'll try adding them manually to the iso. I will post here after testing with virtualbox. Hope nothing else is missing.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Adding the files manually did help. However, after loading the files, textsetup crashes in a BSOD reading:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error \Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

I guess there are more files missing but the files in the root-folder. Seems I'm suffering some bug in nlite.

Edited by whocares02, 22 March 2014 - 04:35 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,186 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I'll try adding them manually to the iso. I will post here after testing with virtualbox. Hope nothing else is missing.

NO. :(

Meaning that a number of so-called ISO editing tools may botch a "delicate" .iso such as the Windows install one.

The idea is to create the .iso "properly" and only once and then leave it alone.

Mind you, this does not mean that the whatever ISO editor you used necessarily did that, only that editing a bootable Windows .iso is re-known to cause issues.

Using a .iso editor with bootable Windows discs is a sort of shortcut that usually resolves as being longer than the "main road". ;)

Additionally the actual CD burner software that you used to burn the .iso 8if you have burned it to actual physical disc) may have created a coaster.

The usual recommendation is to use IMGBURN (and nothing else) as it has proved to be very reliable, example:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24562

What you should do is to start from fresh,  add/integrate through nlite just one or two things, and test the resulting .iso (without doing ANY manual modification to anything).

This way we are sure that the source and that the building procedure is valid.

Then, once it hopefully works, re-do still from the original source adding (or removing) more things.

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Thank you. I know that. As I described already, I reintegrated all the stuff with nlite several times and it's everytime VERY time-consuming deleting the CD-folder, let nlite copy the XP-CD, reimporting all the hotfixes, hoping nothing will fail and waiting until iso-compilation is done. I've done it 6 or 7 times now. Obviously there is a bug in nlite because the final ISO is just missing files.

I didn't touch anything up to now. Now I did it, textsetup DOES recognize the CD but crashes in the next step. I'm sure there are still other files missing. If I remember right nlite has an option to switch the ISO-compilation-engine. Maybe I should try this, on the next run. Is there a way to skip all the nlite-steps and just process the iso-creation of the final folder? It's so annoying starting from scratch everytime.

Thanks for the tip with imageburn. I indeed got trouble with nero and just use a portable HDD now to mount the whole iso-file in virtualbox.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,186 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Obviously there is a bug in nlite because the final ISO is just missing files.

It must then be a coincidence that that same program worked for everyone (we are talking of tens if not hundreds of thousands users) since several years, exclusively to "tweak" a 2K or XP source and noone experienced that same bug. :unsure:

jaclaz

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

That was indeed a strange thing. Are you sure you know all the hundred of thousands users-experiences? Actually I hoped finding someone here who knows about my problem. MSFN is the best address for nlite-related questions! Up to now I always found solutions to my problems here. Never had to post a threat myself though. Only this time the forum-search couldn't help me. Hence my threat.

I don't even know how to reproduce the problem. Just can say that there are files missing in the final iso. I attached the .ini-file already. Someone has a clue what elese I could try to track down the problem?

Edited by whocares02, 22 March 2014 - 02:46 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,467 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Methinks this isn't a "pristine" source (an actual XP CD - NOT DVD).

Have you read the FAQ? http://www.msfn.org/...unofficial-faq/

Have you read the Reference Guide?

http://www.msfn.org/...eference-guide/

If this is one of those Dell/HP/other Restore (Recovery?) disks, you may have a problem. I've not seen a non-OEM XP disk that lacked the Root files. The only other thing (my not having one) could be that it's an Upgrade CD? I DO have a Dell XP MCE disk that has "additional" files on a DVD.

Edited by submix8c, 22 March 2014 - 02:52 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,688 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Manually copy your files your disk might be scratched

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Mmmmm...this is indeed a Retail-CD shipped with my notebook. SP2 is already included, as well as the serial-number. However, there is no additional software on the disk. I used it with nlite in the past years, a couple of times.

Also, it seems to get copied on hdd correctly. In my nlite Temp-Folder, the root-folder DOES hold the cd-ident-files. So it's really nlite not including them into the image. I'm afraid to say that I have no other "clean" XP-CD from microsoft. In the past it worked fine with nlite.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,467 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

OK, safe bet -

1 - Make a folder called (e.g.) WinXP on any paritiion with sufficent space.

2 - Ensure that the HDD that contains the nLite folder has twice that much space available.

3 - Copy the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the XP CD to the WinXP folder.

4 - Have available the FULL Service Pack 3 -and- Post-SP3 updates in a Folder (make one for them).

5 - Run nLite and point to the WinXP Folder as the Source.

6 - Select the Service Pack File on the correct screen

7 - Select the Post-SP3 Updates (NOT the SP3 file) into the correct screen.

8 - Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

9 - Burn with IMGBURN or test in a Virtual Machine before burning to a CD.

If you want to use a DVD, you'll have to create that independent of the ISO creation.

It seems that ALL Retail (Full or Upgrade) are bootable.

If you're CD (? or is it a DVD) is Retail, it should have the MS Hologram on it, and not have any OEM name on it whatsoever. Compaq was one OEM that supplied a "full" OEM CD, but not actually "retail", but a "slightly modified" System Builder OEM version.

edit - also do this before you begin the above -

http://www.msfn.org/...folder-options/

Here is a resource to get the SP3 and Updates -

http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Sample nLite Screenshots -

http://xdot.tk/nliteimages.html

Edited by submix8c, 22 March 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Thank you, submix8c. I consider doing it this way. However,

Point 8

Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

seems important to me. My Disk of course is a CD. My output-iso shall be burned onto a DVD. It's too large in size, since I added so much software. I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes. I thought target won't matter (CD or DVD).

If you want to use a DVD, you'll have to create that independent of the ISO creation.

Do you have some link, with a howto? Just tried google - can't find anything related to iso conversion for dvd.

Edited by whocares02, 22 March 2014 - 04:02 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,467 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

IMGBURN will create a DVD Image and/or burn a Built DVD from folders.

http://www.imgburn.c...act=screenshots

Your nLited "output" will be within the nLite folder.

Get IMGBURN and look it over.

This tutorial will tell what to fill in -

http://old.bink.nu/xpbootcd/

Note that it uses a different "burning" software but the values and concept are the same. You'll need to get the Boot Sector file as well as using IMGBURN. Save it "somewhere" and point to it when using IMGBURN. Under IMGBURN (using "Mode: Build" - see screenshots) "Options" set the DVD Output to be Mode1/2048, ISO9660+Joliet, Recurse Subfolders, and Include Hidden/System Files. "Advanced->Bootable Disc" is where you select the Boot Sector Image. Under "Media" (SELECT THIS BEFORE OTHER OPTIONS to recognize that it's to be a DVD) select the type of DVD Media you are using.

Edited by submix8c, 22 March 2014 - 04:15 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Thanks.

I just compiled a new iso with nlite and the mkisofs-option. Seems the root-folder is filled with files now. I'll test the new image with nlite and will try your attempt if the new iso fails again.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

New Image - same error-message as with my previously done manual method:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error \Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

Oh no - I really was about to avoid the manual boot-image extraction/copy-process. Are you sure this will even work? Extracting a boot-record from CD to put it on a DVD? Isn't there something diefferent with disc-geometry etc...? I usually use ultraiso for thinks like this.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

My first trial with imgburn (yes, I found the builtin bootsector-backup-function) was not successfull:

Couldn't find NTLDR

Propably something with the settings/restrictions. I chose ISO-Level2 (32 chars) and Joliet-Level1(64-chars). datatype and filesystem is as you said: mode1/2048 and iso9660+joliet. I also did allow more than 8 directories and more than 255 chars in path, as well as files without extensions.

I got two warning messages with imgburn, because it detects the i386-folder:

First one says I'd better use iso 9660 only. Second one wants modify the charset to DOS or the Joliet-Level to JolietX.

I try allowing the second modifications to be done and will try again.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

I created two images with imgburn. One with only the second request confirmed. Another one with both requests confirmed. In both cases I get this message again, when trying to install XP in virtualbox:

STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\Systemroot\System32\ntdll.dll

However, I finally get bootable images with imgburn, containing the disc-ident-files. Could it be a problem with virtualbox? Can something like this getting caused by a faulty driver? I injected every driver I could find to make the disk usable on several computers.

Edit:

I bet it's some faulty hotfix. I integrated over 200. Impossible to say which one replaces ntdll.dll. Last thing I'll try: overwriting ntdll.dll in the iso with the original from the xp-cd - just for fun. It might mess up the patched system with the old version.

Also, I already copied the XP-CD a second time in low-speed to a new iso-image on disk to mount on the next run I might do with nlite tomorrow.

Edit2:

Just finished my little test: A replaced ntdll.dll makes no difference. However, it seems the file indeed got replaced by a newer version during hotfix-integration.

XP-SP2-CD:  717KB, 2004-08-04, 13:00:00
      nlite-iso:  724KB, 2009-02-09, 10:00:58

Edited by whocares02, 22 March 2014 - 07:27 PM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Creatte the ISO. -NOTE- nLite creates a CD ISO, not a DVD ISO (AFAICR).

seems important to me. My Disk of course is a CD. My output-iso shall be burned onto a DVD. It's too large in size, since I added so much software. I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes. I thought target won't matter (CD or DVD).

I injected every driver I could find to make the disk usable on several computers.
I bet it's some faulty hotfix. I integrated over 200.

I'm thinking it might be something in the "so much software", "every driver I could find", or "some faulty hotfix" that you are adding that is messing things up. At a minimum I would try only adding SP3, the hotfixes, and ONLY the drivers that apply to your system and see if that produces a successful build. If not, you could even try just SP3 and the drivers for your system. Both of those options should produce an image that would fit on a CD. I know neither of those options will produce the image that you want to end up with, but if you can build a successful image with either of those options then at least that would verify that your source, nLite, and general building methods are all valid. Then you can start adding things a little bit at a time until it no longer works so you can figure out what is really the problem.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,467 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

200 hotfixes? For what? XP???

I specifically said Integrate SP3 -and- the POST-SP3 Hotfixes (roughly 130).
I gave a link to get SP3 and the Hotfixes.
I gave a link to a "sample" of how-to, which had a link to the Boot File.
MKISOFS Option is to create an ISO, of which I specifically stated is UNNECESSARY if you're making a DVD.
I gave a link to the IMGBURN screens. DID you use the Options I gave?
The "sample" of how-to (EZ-CD Creator) has the necessary CORRESPONDING parameters for IMGBURN.
--It's UNNECESSARY to "extract" the Boot File as the link I gave HAS it (in a link)!
--IF you used the MKISOFS Option, you already HAVE The Boot File embedded (nLite does that)
I said copy the CONTENTS of your CD, not create an ISO! But, whatever floats your boat (same as if you just read the CD, but NOW you have to MOUNT it!)
--BUT see "Tip" below...

The "Integrated" FILES (after running nLite) are within an nLite Sub-FOLDER, but the Boot File is NOT, hence my suggestion that IF you manually Burn the Files then you NEED to get the one at the link. The ISO file made by nLite is made DIRECTLY from THAT FOLDER'S CONTENTS. If you don't want to use the Boot File at that link (the actual XP Image) then the one in nLite may be used (if you Manually make the DVD, outside of MKISOFS).

Please re-read and think about this. If you won't follow instructions, I can't help you. Not rocket science and -does- work! I'm overloading you with "options" when the EASY way is just to follow the "basic" instructions.

P.S. - You do NOT want to use UDF FileSystem for the DVD/DVD-ISO-Image.

Tip - if you insist on making a CD-ISO with the MKISOFS Option, fine. Just Take a look at this -

http://science.oppos...d-iso-5637.html
Question - What's up with an nLite ISO dated "2009-02-09". Isn't today March 22/23 2014? Relevance?
Comment - We have no clue about that "extra software" you mention that will cause a DVD to be filled. DotNet (etc) perhaps? Post-Install stuff? See this for some good info -
http://unattended.ms.../unattended.xp/

edit - Yes, an ISO is an ISO, just unsure if IMGBURN would "ignore" the difference between CD-ISO and DVD-Media (mainly size). Bearing in mind that UDF FileSystem is not (AFAIK) a Bootable Filesystem.

Edited by submix8c, 22 March 2014 - 11:46 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

submix, you don't seem to read what I write. The extracted boot-image IS working and I DID use imgburn. I also described the options I chose, please just read it. The iso is bootable now but the setup is crashing. Don't you think it's better using the original-boot-record instead of some downloaded one?! Already the language difference could cause trouble. My XP is german, your linked page is in english.  I bet the downloadable boot-record is from an english XP-CD.

I said copy the CONTENTS of your CD, not create an ISO! But, whatever floats your boat (same as if you just read the CD, but NOW you have to MOUNT it!)
--BUT see "Tip" below...

I know what you wrote but it makes no difference if the files get copied from disk or from a mountpoint. Using a burning software to read from disk should be more reliable though (in case of scratches on CD).

I'll make a new integration with nlite and a fresh CD today, as suggested here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: textsetup, DVD, Winxp, error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users