Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Textsetup won't accept nlite-DVD

- - - - - textsetup DVD Winxp error

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,564 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I will repeat what I said before, and that bhplt expanded in detail :yes:: try with LESS things added/integrated, first.

There may be on a DVD a known issue about it's size.

Basically a number of files in the"early" booting part may not be able to "reach" beyond a given LBA address.

You may want to check the actual build.

See:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20248

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16802

but the errors I have seen related to this are different. :(

The STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error seems more connected to a corrupted file:

http://support.micro...kb/101096/en-us

http://support.micro...kb/314474/en-us

but with Windows errors you never really know ;).

I personally DO NOT suggest to use IMGBURN to "burn from folder", ONLY to burn from .iso to physical CD/DVD, an install CD/DVD .iso should - in my perverted mind - be built by mkisofs (or oscdimage) ONLY, and with the "proper" settings", I seem to understand that you changed these settings for mkisofs? :unsure:

Just in case "good" set of settings is the following:

mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XPSP3" -A XPSP3/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b bootsect.bin -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -hide bootsect.bin -allow-multidot -o .\whatever\XPSP3.iso ROOT

or:

http://www.911cd.net...24

Optionally one could use a "pe_sort.txt", if the issue about "high" LBA is confirmed.

See:

http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=8053

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,325 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Well, I'll go along with your recommendation jaclaz (re: burning from the Folder). HOWEVER, please note that the OP is creating a DVD as noted in post #17

It's too large in size, since I added so much software.

hence my off-the-cuff suggestion. IOW, use the nLite "post-integrated" folder to burn -OR- create an ISO (then burn the ISO) with IMGBURN -after- copying (?) said "software" into "wherever". Bear in mind, the OP isn't saying how said "softare" is to be installed. Could it be using cmdlines.txt or "other"? Who knows? Nonetheless, a DVD with fully integrated XP plus Software is the end-game, correct? :unsure:

As for the Boot Record, fine - use the one directly from the CD. AFAICR, the nLite Boot Image is a Windows 2000 extraction and the XP one hasn't changed from RTM->SP1->SP2->SP3, so is a moot point. Also note that the Language is totally irrelevant, noting that nLite uses the EXACT SAME BOOT.BIN regardless - note that it supports other than just English (look in the LANG folder) :whistle: . So, you lose the bet. :w00t:

Now, as for COPYING to a folder, let's say the extracted ISO was successful but the CONTENTS of it were "broken". The proof of the CONTENTS is the ability to copy directly from the physical CD to a folder. Did you use IMGBURN to make the ISO Image?

And YES, there could also be a "glitch" in the location of the files - I DID say there's a difference between CD and DVD, right? Please note the first link jaclaz gave (above 4gb) and YOUR statement

I get a file with about 3.5GB in size, after nlite finishes.

Less than 4GB. ;) I believe/concur that your SOURCE has something wrong with it, hence COPY the darn thing. If it reads, then -chances are- you have a good SOURCE on the HDD to start with. :thumbup

Adding single steps by recommendation (from any EXAMPLES) and NOT adding single steps that are NOT recommended is what we are trying to get you to understand. Trust us (mostly) to provide accurate information and instructions since we HAVE already been down all of these roads... or not. Your choice. :yes:

...and if you REALLY want the "proof of concept" I'll repeat TO THE LETTER the method to create a GOOD CD/DVD ISO or Physical Media and test it, although all I'll be doing is repeating what I've (and others) done before. :blink: Note that I the ONLY difference would be LANGUAGE. AND now, can we -also- know that your SOURCE XP CD is ALSO German! (Finally, after dragging stuff out...)

The next "run" you make, please give a Point-By-Point list of the -exact- procedure you used so we may better assist in "what's going wrong". You have been vague on many points.

Edited by submix8c, 23 March 2014 - 09:50 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

It works! Just finished my attempt with a new copy of the orig-CD. The old iso was 714.726 kb in Size, the new one is 715.026KB.

After nlite really did integrate almost everything this time (after session-import I cleared the whole hotfix-list and added everything again), the standard iso-compiling-engine did fail again (root-directory empty). I switched to mkisofs...and now everything works!

Textsetup is at 60% now and running...

wait...one file is missing: version.dat

I hope this one was not important. Textsetup just finishes with 100%. Maybe I really should try the folder-copy method next time.

Anyway, thank you very much, both of you. I don't think I suffer the LBA-problem. In the linked threat they say something about a 4GB-limit. My iso is far below that.

For the second XP-iso I used infrarecorder. Unlike nero it has an option "ignore read-errors" - of course i did UNCHECK it. I expected some error-correction/re-read on error might be applied then.

Regarding to additional software: I used both methods: nlite-Addon-maker and RunOnceEx.cmd. Hope at the end of setup RunOnceEx will work as expected. However, it didn't seem related to my problem so I didn't mention it before.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,325 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

This is what you stated in Post#1

XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

JFYI, "version.dat" sounds a lot like an OEM CD, supplied by the OEM Manufacturer. The Volume Label of your CD should (generally) be one of the following:

VRMHFPP = Full

VRMHCCP = Upgrade

VRMHOEM = System Builder OEM

...with a "_xx" of something appended indicating the Language (e.g. "_EN").

Going back to my Post #13, you responded with

this is indeed a Retail-CD shipped with my notebook. SP2 is already included

at Post#15 (partial quote). Trust me, even though you SAY it's "Retail", how do you know? Any Volume Label OTHER than above is an OEM "altered" CD (see next link for COA's, which you said you had).

I can't seem to find the link to the CD Image, but here is the COA images (archived) -

http://web.archive.o...ell/en/coa.mspx

Note that this info has been "scrubbed" from the current MS site (or at least I can't find it). All that shows is Windows 8, so I got the Archive link above...

Please note that IF that file is part of an OEM-Altered Source CD, then theoretically it shouldn't matter. Can you provide a Directory Listing of the CD or at least confirm your COA? Something doesn't sound right (you're confused and are confusing us). :unsure:

Edited by submix8c, 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Sorry, this was a translation-mistake. It is indeed an OEM-CD and not a retail-CD. Just looked up the meaning of "retail" in a dictionary. :} As I wrote as well, the disk was shipped with my notebook. Thing is, there is no OEM-folder present on the disk. Also, no additional software gets installed during windows-setup. On your linked page, the second badge from the top, reading "Large Manufacturer Pre-installed Windows COAs" is the certificate for my CD.

Look on the screenshot I attached. It shows the root-folder of the disk.

Attached Files

Edited by whocares02, 24 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,325 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

"version.data" may be unrelated to the XP and -may- be related to the Third Part Add-Ons (you never said what) maybe WinRAR?

Curiosity - was this message issued DURING Text Mode? You were unclear on that. The reason I said it -may- be related to the OEM XP is becuase I believe I -may- have a Compaq (?) CD somewhere that has that file on it :unsure: but don't remember that it was actually referenced or a clean install. WHAT is the brand of Notebook (you also never said, any more than providing a Directory Listing of the CD)?

You might try inspected the XP CD for that file and if not there then the individual Add-Ons (before you created them).

Doesn't make sense...

edit - AHHH! "version.dat" -could- be on a Recovery CD Set (additional software?). Which could explain a lot. That "Directory Listing" of your CD would sure help isolate errors. After all, no "secret info" would be revealed.

Edited by submix8c, 24 March 2014 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Curiosity - was this message issued DURING Text Mode? You were unclear on that.

Yes, it occurred during text-mode-setup. I didn't mention the brand of my notebook because you don't know it for sure. It's a no-name-label from a supermarket-chain.

Propably version.dat is somewhere in a compressed archive. I can't find the file on the original CD, using windows-search. Never mind, I have enough trouble now, fixing all failed silent-installations during setup. Seems AddonMaker can't process files with spaces in names. This along with other things makes me pretty uninterested tracking down the missing-version.dat-problem. Maybe I just need to copy the CD again (this time with explorer) to get rid of the warning.

Anyway, thanks a lot for help.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I didn't mention the brand of my notebook because you don't know it for sure. It's a no-name-label from a supermarket-chain.

It doesn't matter whether we know the brand or not. If you told us the brand and model number then we at least have a chance of being able to look up the info using sources you might not be aware of. It's truly amazing what you can find online these days. Anytime you want any information, the more information you can provide about the hardware, software, problem, or whatever, the better chance you stand at getting the answer you need quickly. The more you hold back, the more likely that folks will get frustrated and give up and you'll go away empty handed.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

:huh:  Sorry.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,325 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Hmmm... this may or may not work to isolate what it is. I say that only because I'm not sure how "up to date" it may be for your hardware. Chances are, it will work fine.

http://www.majorgeek...ee_edition.html

Edited by submix8c, 26 March 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Did you ever try to use winrar for silent setups? I tried making a self-executable which is called with the /s2 switch. This call is made by the nlite-addon-maker which creates a .cab-package to be included by nlite.

My problem: Winrar doesn't use the %temp%-variable for some reason. The files get extracted to c:\Program Files\%temp%\ during unattended-setup. When I run the sfx-archive manually on my computer, everything works fine. Winrar is using the correct Temp-directory. Not so during XP-setup.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

@Submix: In case you are still curious: version.dat was part of a printer-driver, I included. EPSON Artisan730_PX730_TX730\oem39.inf was pointing to a file called version.dat.  The file actually resided in the same folder. So I don't know why it wasn't found. Anyway, I just removed the driver an everythin is allright now. It seems I have another inf-file integrated (from some different folder) for the same printer. Maybe this did cause the confusion: Two drivers for the same device.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: textsetup, DVD, Winxp, error

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users