How to setup PSK on Windows 7 IKEv2 VPN

Hi to all,

I have a problem with connection to existing IKEv2 VPN server. It has EAP-MSCHAPv2 with PSK authentication, but it seems my Win7 note hasn't any PSK setup possibility, I can input login and password only. So, how I can setup this PSK on my note?

OK, I'll try it.

You send me to a Microsoft standard solution, it don't work for me:

Microsoft mini port needs sertificates exchange between me & server, but target server I'm interesting of don't use sertificates, it uses PSK (preshared password) instead, and I can't to find a way to solve it.

It seems like you are in the situation described (and hopefully solved) here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/05c15c0a-0ba0-4c09-8f1d-471352a43a56/windows-7-rc-wpa-and-wpa2-will-not-connect-with-any-router-for-lenovo-t60s?forum=w7itpronetworking

i.e. you cannot find where to supply the WPA2-PSK login credentials? :unsure:

I just found out how to fix the problem. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage wireless networks -> Right-click on the network you are trying to connect to which requires your login credentials -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced settings -> 802.1X settings -> Check 'Specify authentication mode' -> then select user authentication. Click 'ok' until you are back to the 'Manage Wireless Networks'.

Now try to reconnect to the wireless network. Windows should now ask you for login credentials and you should be able to successfully connect.

I have been trying to fix this problem for weeks and have finally figured it out.

The problem seems to be that windows does not want to ask you for login credentials for WPA2.

Or is the issue something else?

Please try to describe your issue in more details....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No, it isn't :)

You talk about wireless connection between device and some kind of hot spot

I talk about connection between user and Virtual Private Network (i.e. VPN).

If You go to MS tech notes, there are explanations about connect establish (in terms of IKEv2 connection type): someone has VPN server must send CA & personal certificates, these ones You must install on Your client machine. It's may or may not to be end of story, but next part didn't interesting me. I interesting of another possible way to start connection not described by MS: someone has VPN server don't send me certificates, it sends me passphrase instead (Pre-Shared Keyword, i.e. PSK). And I don't how to establish such PSK IKEv2 connection.

someone has VPN server don't send me certificates, it sends me passphrase instead (Pre-Shared Keyword, i.e. PSK). And I don't how to establish such PSK IKEv2 connection.

:

Would this be of use? :unsure:

L2TP/IPSec:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff687761(v=ws.10).aspx

http://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=67

Also, any reason why you cannot ask directly to the "someone" who is sending you the PSK? :w00t:

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry for long silence - just digged out techs.

First, my reply to jaclaz:

I can't use L2TP, PPTP etc. 'cos, as I said, server use IKEv2 connection, that's what it did and that's what I definitely can't do anything :)

And yes, I can ask "someone" to send me PSK and that "someone" will send me this one, but it will not make me happy 'cos My PC won't messing around IKEv2 with PSK auth and it's a key of my question :)

Well, generally answer for my question is:

It's impossible to use PSK for IKEv2 authentication in Windows 7 machines because Windows 7 don't supports such auth for this type of VPN.

Hope my little research will be helpful for somebody else.

And thanks for everyone for their advise.