Own XP in a Win 7 home MS Virtual Machine

parsonm

I can't get my XP software to load in to the virtual machine once the VHD has been created.(2 meg RAM, 5G virtual hard disk)

The XP install all appears to go ok until the next stage after all the files have been copied across from the CD. Basically it stops and locks up with nil reponse.

Has anyone have any tips or help that can resolve this.

I am running win 7 home professional on a desktop PC with an ASUS F2A85-M MB, an AMD A8-5600K APU at 3600Mhz and 1x4Meg 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM. The PC has a SATA drive in slot 1, the DVD burner in 5 and 2 Seagate parallel ATA drives on 6 and 7 runnning with serial/parallel convertors. On the MB OnChip SATA channel is enabled and set to AHCI. However, SATA ports 5,6 and 7 are set IDE. I did originally use the main SATA hard drive for the virtual disc but when this didn't work I used one of the PATA drives with no difference.

One suggestion is that the OnChip SATA channel should be disabled but I don't know what the repercussions are in changing this on a running system. Any help appreciated.

I am not sure to understand WHICH Virtual Machine you are talking about? :unsure:

If the XP install misses a Mass Storage driver, at one or the other stage it will BSOD with STOP ERROR 0x0000007b.

Can you try describing what exactly you did? (the more detial you provide the more likely that someone will be able to solve the issue or at least give you some hint to the right direction to do further tests)

jaclaz

Assuming that this thread and this other one - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171343-bootable-xp-disk/ - are about the same problem, then I suggest a Mod merge the two.

The OP should also be very aware of Kel's warning that you can NOT slipstream XP with SP3 while using Windows 7 as your OS. The resulting XP install disc will [n]NOT function correctly, AFAIK.

Cheers and Regards

Agree with bphlpt. The info between THIS topic and the OTHER topic don't coincide (e.g. the VM RAM size).

SATA (and the Mode) vs PATA on the REAL machine is relevevant is installing on the REAL machine. VHD's aren't "real" and are only HDD Images and make the REAL HDD settings/type irrelevant.

The OP -may- not be talking about Virtual PC, but the Windows 7 "version", also usable with VT(?). Two different beasts. (getting tired, may be getting confused...) Jaclaz is correct in his question(s). We need more specific details (other thread lacks the hardware info).