Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Suggestions on creating a program for 98/ME/2k?

- - - - - application development

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

tmontney

tmontney
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-March 14

I have a strong affinity for the legacy OSes, since that's what I grew up using. I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). I'd really like to create something useful for the legacy operating systems. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should create? Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

junior600

junior600

• 40 posts
  • Joined 26-April 13

Can you make the driver for my gts 250 xD?

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

Windows ME could use an easier way to format floppies, create system disks, and do floppy disk "stuff" in general. Microsoft burried that option for making system disk in the Add/Remove area of control panel for some reason, where nobody can find it. Just an idea :-)

tmontney

tmontney
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-March 14

Might... be out of my scope :P

As for the floppy option... I might be able to do that. Keeping hitting me with ideas. Where do you think would be a good idea to put it? Or just to have a program dedicated to doing floppy stuff?

I'm thinking of making an unofficial service pack for XP. I don't know the status of previous OSes though. And the unofficial service pack could include official and unofficial updates, too.

Edited by tmontney, 24 March 2014 - 12:04 PM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I'm thinking of making an unofficial service pack for XP.

Already being done - http://www.msfn.org/...windows-xp-sp4/

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

??? WinME "System Disk"??? You're referring to the EBD then. I see no problems with FDISK and FORMAT unless you're talking about HDD sizes. As for Floppies, really? A problem using COMMAND.COM+FORMAT? (SMH...) What kind of -general foppy disk "stuff"- would you mean? Could you elaborate by listing the missing/failing features?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

Sure, I would be happy to.

Windows ME doesn't have the "format a: /s" command. Hence, no going into DOS and creating a boot disk! Simple as that. You can do that from 98 and 95 (I presume), but not from Windows ME command prompt.

Also, Format.com is not included when building a system disk via control panel (the only way to make a boot disk in WinMe), it must be copied manually later. It kinda defeats the purpose of having a system disk.... when you leave off format.com. Does it not?

"Diskcopy.exe" is included in the c:\windows\command directory, but unless you go into DOS, there's no easier way to copy a bunch of floppies from Windows.

Windows ME lacks a simple GUI tool that has these various features.

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 24 March 2014 - 09:33 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

This I was not aware of - http://support.micro...kb/254959/EN-US

FORMAT.COM is in EBD.CAB, so...

..and SYS.COM is as well, so...

Booting to the EBD with a "new" HDD, I

1 - use FDISK and reboot (naturally)

2 - In the D-Drive (whichever is the RamDisk) is FORMAT and SYS

2a - Format C: - fine

2b - SYS is giving me fits. IO.SYS is Hidden/System and is "not found" somehow. ATTRIB will not reset it.

DISKCOPY.EXE has always been an independent program. Not sure what you mean by "go into DOS" (you mean Command Prompt?). I've never been aware of it doing anything other than "cloning" Floppy->Floppy.

http://www.computerh...om/diskcopy.htm

So, until I have time to dink with it, I'll have to revistit this topic. l8tr...

Posted Image

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

Why microsoft decided to drop the "/s" switch from Format.com.... who knows. It's one of those quirks/annoyances of Windows ME.

DISKCOPY.EXE has always been an independent program. Not sure what you mean by "go into DOS" (you mean Command Prompt?). I've never been aware of it doing anything other than "cloning" Floppy->Floppy.

Yes, I meant using the command prompt when "going into DOS." Also, I'm suggesting it would be nice to have a windows version of Diskcopy :-)

What I originally meant, and should've explained better, is that it would be nice to have a simple "all-in-one" type floppy utility for Windows ME. Without having to use the command prompt. (But as we've already discussed above, it would be sort of pointless to create boot disks in a DOS shell - command prompt - in Windows ME, because there's no Format /S option anyway.)

There probably are old 3rd party tools that do exactly what I'm thinking of, I just haven't seen any... and it's not like Freeware websites care about floppy disk utilities these days.

Oh and, if you did use the plain standard Windows ME boot disk, and if you use Fdisk to delete/add partitions, those partitions still have to be formatted. And since there would be no Format.com available on the boot disk, you're only option would be to use the Windows installation CD - assuming you don't have a copy of FreeDOS laying around, or else install a whole different OS altoghter. You couldn't just leave the hard drive/partition "blank" or empty. It would still needed to be formatted by something to be of any use. Sorry for the confusion, but it's just Microsoft's bad idea for crippling the user and leaving off important utilties from the system/boot disk.

See the problem that that creates, is they put Fdisk on there, but no Format.com.... so then, why add partitions or try to do anything like multi-booting? There wouldn't be anything to format other partitions with. It's like they don't want you to be able to do anything but just have one partition, one operating system, and that's going to be Windows ME only.

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 24 March 2014 - 09:53 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Don't want to gatecrash the party :), but maybe if we could talk of actual problems (as opposed to non-problems ;)) we may go further :whistle:.

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm

Unofficial Windows ME Boot Disk Maker v1.2 32-bit</A> [603 KB] creates a startup floppy containing Windows ME boot files.

link is broken, but the tool can be found - example - here:

http://www.freewarew...ive.cgi?ID=1130

jaclaz

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

I suggest you write a  program that make it possible to use multiple CPU cores so I could upgrade to a dual-core CPU and watch any 1080p video without problems for example. ;)

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,338 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Thanx, jaclaz for a reminder/link. Gatecrash away! :yes:

@LostInSpace2012 -

Oh and, if you did use the plain standard Windows ME boot disk, and if you use Fdisk to delete/add partitions, those partitions still have to be formatted. And since there would be no Format.com available on the boot disk,

Did you miss the post I made before yours? :unsure: Using the Boot Disk (It's called an Emergency Boot Disk aka EBD) I was fully able to both FDISK and FORMAT. The PROBLEM appeared to make a SYS'ed one. So, your statement is, errr, erroneous. Yes, I have Windows ME and used it "for a while". My main heartburn with it was driver availability - you sometimes had to "argue" with Win98 ones to work.

Edited by submix8c, 25 March 2014 - 10:38 AM.

Posted Image

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

I suggest you write a  program that make it possible to use multiple CPU cores so I could upgrade to a dual-core CPU and watch any 1080p video without problems for example. ;)

I have the Multi-Core API. I will let someone else write the Video Driver.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

junior600

junior600

• 40 posts
  • Joined 26-April 13

Might... be out of my scope :P

As for the floppy option... I might be able to do that. Keeping hitting me with ideas. Where do you think would be a good idea to put it? Or just to have a program dedicated to doing floppy stuff?

I'm thinking of making an unofficial service pack for XP. I don't know the status of previous OSes though. And the unofficial service pack could include official and unofficial updates, too.

I think that everyone will be happy if you make some drivers for the new video cards XD I beg you

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I think that everyone will be happy if you make some drivers for the new video cards XD I beg you

Sure, just imagine the popularity of such drivers among the users of  gts 250 video cards running NT 4.0, all 1 (one) :w00t: of them ;).

More seriously, whatever is a gts 250, have you tried the Vbemp drivers with it?

http://www.msfn.org/...-windows-nt-40/

jaclaz

junior600

junior600

• 40 posts
  • Joined 26-April 13

Sure, just imagine the popularity of such drivers among the users of  gts 250 video cards running NT 4.0, all 1 (one) :w00t: of them ;).

More seriously, whatever is a gts 250, have you tried the Vbemp drivers with it?

http://www.msfn.org/...-windows-nt-40/

jaclaz

No yet xD

Non ancora, anche perchè non ha il direct3d :(

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Joined 20-August 12

Donator

Format.com is available on the boot disk, Ooops, my bad. :-) I'm not too proud to admit when I'm mistaken about something.

Edited by LostInSpace2012, 25 March 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

I'm not too proud to admit when I'm mistaken about something.

That is something a lot of us need :blushing: .

Surprised no one stated this, but a good modern web-browser that natively works, and supports html5 would be nice. Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

No yet xD

Non ancora, anche perchè non ha il direct3d :(

Ma... dai! Cerca d'installare addirittura proprio questo SNAP qui.

Here's the SNAP FAQ.

DougB

DougB

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 04-September 11

Flasche:

> Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I agree with this observation... but for me (and many others), Win9x would not be nearly as viable a computing option without KernelEx.  

tmontney:

> I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). ...

> Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn.

Speaking of WinXP and KernelEx, this may be a tall order... but KernelEx has been in pretty-big need of updating.  (I am aware of KExt).  Another individual attempted to resurrect it recently, but it seems that it failed, and he doesn't seem to be around anymore.  (I believe he tried to re-implement it in a different way, however.) 

So if you have a knowledge of WinXP APIs and have a love of Win9x... this could be your calling?  

- Doug B.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,593 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Ma... dai! Cerca d'installare addirittura proprio questo

Are you sure-sure it is a good idea :unsure: to use a 9x driver on NT 4.00 :w00t:

Reverse translation of the quoted pseudo :ph34r: Italian (into pseudo English ;))

Come on! Try to install even right this one ....

:whistle:

jaclaz

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Flasche:

> Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I agree with this observation... but for me (and many others), Win9x would not be nearly as viable a computing option without KernelEx.  

I know I am a KernelEx user myself. Mainly developers have issue with it.

tmontney:

> I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). ...

> Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn.

Speaking of WinXP and KernelEx, this may be a tall order... but KernelEx has been in pretty-big need of updating.  (I am aware of KExt).  Another individual attempted to resurrect it recently, but it seems that it failed, and he doesn't seem to be around anymore.  (I believe he tried to re-implement it in a different way, however.) 

So if you have a knowledge of WinXP APIs and have a love of Win9x... this could be your calling?  

- Doug B.

+1 :thumbup

Reverse translation of the quoted pseudo :ph34r: Italian (into pseudo English ;))

:whistle:

jaclaz

Google translate (am I wrong). In his defense though not everyone has the time to learn Italian just to respond to one message or in general. Its tough to learn a language. (I know you just kidding)

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,970 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Ma... dai! Cerca d'installare addirittura proprio questo

Intended meaning of the above-quoted pseudo-Italian:
"Come on! Go ahead and install precisely this [one] here"

Although my aging mind did better cranking my rusty knowledge of Italian than Google Translator  :puke: does on its own:

"Vai avanti e installare proprio questo uno qui"

Then again, even a doorknob translates better than Google Translator ...  :P 

Are you sure-sure it is a good idea :unsure: to use a 9x driver on NT 4.00 :w00t:

Well, thinking about it, it sure is a better idea than asking people on the 9x/ME  forum to produce one for NT4, ain't it?   dubbio.gif

Then again, my suggestion stands, as there is a SNAP for NT4, although it's not  that one I linked him to.
The FAQ I ponted to also covers that, and the SNAP for NT is even easier to find.

However, your comment made me read again the title of this thread, and only now did I notice the lone "2k" appended to it:

Given the forum the thread was created in, I bet most everybody'll tend to read that title as I did, and never even notice that lone "2k" coda appended to it. :whistle:

... and re-reading the whole thread seems to confirm that impression, too.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

However, your comment made me read again the title of this thread, and only now did I notice the lone "2k" appended to it:

Given the forum the thread was created in, I bet most everybody'll tend to read that title as I did, and never even notice that lone "2k" coda appended to it. :whistle:
... and re-reading the whole thread seems to confirm that impression, too.

The way I interpreted the OP was:

"I have a strong affinity for the legacy OSes, since that's what I grew up using. I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). I'd really like to try creating something useful for the legacy operating systems as well. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should create? It could be for either Win98, or WinME. or Win2K, or any combination of those OS. (I posted the question here since this subforum covers two out of the three version of Windows I'm interested in.) Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn."

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13

I'm not too proud to admit when I'm mistaken about something.

That is something a lot of us need :blushing: .

Surprised no one stated this, but a good modern web-browser that natively works, and supports html5 would be nice. Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I am going to attempt to make a modern browser for 98/ME/2k, if that's what's needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users