Suggestions on creating a program for 98/ME/2k?

tmontney

I think that everyone will be happy if you make some drivers for the new video cards XD I beg you

Sure, just imagine the popularity of such drivers among the users of gts 250 video cards running NT 4.0, all 1 (one) :w00t: of them ;).

More seriously, whatever is a gts 250, have you tried the Vbemp drivers with it?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171307-video-card-driver-for-windows-nt-40/

jaclaz

No yet xD

Non ancora, anche perchè non ha il direct3d :(

I'm not too proud to admit when I'm mistaken about something.

That is something a lot of us need :blushing: .

Surprised no one stated this, but a good modern web-browser that natively works, and supports html5 would be nice. Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

Flasche:

> Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I agree with this observation... but for me (and many others), Win9x would not be nearly as viable a computing option without KernelEx.

tmontney:

> I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). ...

> Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn.

Speaking of WinXP and KernelEx, this may be a tall order... but KernelEx has been in pretty-big need of updating. (I am aware of KExt). Another individual attempted to resurrect it recently, but it seems that it failed, and he doesn't seem to be around anymore. (I believe he tried to re-implement it in a different way, however.)

So if you have a knowledge of WinXP APIs and have a love of Win9x... this could be your calling?

- Doug B.

Ma... dai! Cerca d'installare addirittura proprio questo

Are you sure-sure it is a good idea :unsure: to use a 9x driver on NT 4.00 :w00t:

Reverse translation of the quoted pseudo :ph34r: Italian (into pseudo English ;))

Come on! Try to install even right this one ....

:whistle:

jaclaz

Flasche:

> Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I agree with this observation... but for me (and many others), Win9x would not be nearly as viable a computing option without KernelEx.

I know I am a KernelEx user myself. Mainly developers have issue with it.

tmontney:

> I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). ...

> Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn.

Speaking of WinXP and KernelEx, this may be a tall order... but KernelEx has been in pretty-big need of updating. (I am aware of KExt). Another individual attempted to resurrect it recently, but it seems that it failed, and he doesn't seem to be around anymore. (I believe he tried to re-implement it in a different way, however.)

So if you have a knowledge of WinXP APIs and have a love of Win9x... this could be your calling?

- Doug B.

+1 :thumbup

Reverse translation of the quoted pseudo :ph34r: Italian (into pseudo English ;))

:whistle:

jaclaz

Google translate (am I wrong). In his defense though not everyone has the time to learn Italian just to respond to one message or in general. Its tough to learn a language. (I know you just kidding)

Ma... dai! Cerca d'installare addirittura proprio questo

Intended meaning of the above-quoted pseudo-Italian:

"Come on! Go ahead and install precisely this [one] here"

Although my aging mind did better cranking my rusty knowledge of Italian than Google Translator :puke: does on its own:

"Vai avanti e installare proprio questo uno qui"

Then again, even a doorknob translates better than Google Translator ... :P

Are you sure-sure it is a good idea :unsure: to use a 9x driver on NT 4.00 :w00t:

Well, thinking about it, it sure is a better idea than asking people on the 9x/ME forum to produce one for NT4, ain't it? dubbio.gif

Then again, my suggestion stands, as there is a SNAP for NT4, although it's not that one I linked him to.

The FAQ I ponted to also covers that, and the SNAP for NT is even easier to find.

However, your comment made me read again the title of this thread, and only now did I notice the lone "2k" appended to it:

Given the forum the thread was created in, I bet most everybody'll tend to read that title as I did, and never even notice that lone "2k" coda appended to it. :whistle:

... and re-reading the whole thread seems to confirm that impression, too.

However, your comment made me read again the title of this thread, and only now did I notice the lone "2k" appended to it:

Given the forum the thread was created in, I bet most everybody'll tend to read that title as I did, and never even notice that lone "2k" coda appended to it. :whistle:

... and re-reading the whole thread seems to confirm that impression, too.

The way I interpreted the OP was:

"I have a strong affinity for the legacy OSes, since that's what I grew up using. I've been creating a tweaking utility for XP and above (registry tweaks and such). I'd really like to try creating something useful for the legacy operating systems as well. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should create? It could be for either Win98, or WinME. or Win2K, or any combination of those OS. (I posted the question here since this subforum covers two out of the three version of Windows I'm interested in.) Even if it's outside my scope, I'm happy to learn."

Cheers and Regards

I'm not too proud to admit when I'm mistaken about something.

That is something a lot of us need :blushing: .

Surprised no one stated this, but a good modern web-browser that natively works, and supports html5 would be nice. Sure you could use kernelEx, but not everyone likes it, or uses it.

I am going to attempt to make a modern browser for 98/ME/2k, if that's what's needed.

I am going to attempt to make a modern browser for 98/ME/2k, if that's what's needed.

This would be cool but I would also suggest that an update of KernelEx would be preferable because it might help running (much) more programs in one step !! Including more up-to-date browsers, etc.

Updating from SeaMonkey 2.0.14 to 2.6.1 would make me very happy. Maybe you could ask Xeno how to fix the history/bookmark problem ? Or supporting apps compiled with new gcc's like VLC 2.1.3 ?

Edited by MiKl

I would like to help but I don't know how to reach xeno86. I looked at his profile earlier and saw that he hasn't been active on MSFN for a whole year. Unfortunately he has made it very clear that he is done with KernelEx. I think that if someone can communicate with xeno86, that would be a great thing for them to ask.

Also, if we were to create a newer KernelEx, I think it should be a community project that multiple people would contribute to, unless one particular person wants to consistently work on it. Unfortunately, I don't know much about 9X development, so I would not be the right person for the job. However, I would be happy to test applications upon request, or any other non-development task.

I agree that newer GCC and Mozilla bookmark/history are some of the major priorities of KernelEx. However, just in my opinion, I also think that an important feature to add to this possible KernelEx is the capability to run C++ 2010 apps, like modern Firefox releases or later versions of LibreOffice (4.0+). blackwingcat, known for his work on Windows 2000, has also added C++ 2010 capability to Windows 95, so I'm sure if you asked, he may be able to figure it out for 98/ME. However, you can't run newer SeaMonkey/Firefox on 95, because it's kernel is missing many functions. If we got VC++ 2010 working on KernelEx, we could use the latest FF/SeaMonkey.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that newer GCC and Mozilla bookmark/history are some of the major priorities of KernelEx. However, just in my opinion, I also think that an important feature to add to this possible KernelEx is the capability to run C++ 2010 apps, like modern Firefox releases or later versions of LibreOffice (4.0+). blackwingcat, known for his work on Windows 2000, has also added C++ 2010 capability to Windows 95, so I'm sure if you asked, he may be able to figure it out for 98/ME. However, you can't run newer SeaMonkey/Firefox on 95, because it's kernel is missing many functions. If we got VC++ 2010 working on KernelEx, we could use the latest FF/SeaMonkey.

Hi Ironman14, a few weeks ago Jumper wrote that SeaMonkey 2.6.1 is the latest version that would work with Kex 4.5.2.

But maybe I misunderstood him.

However, do you think it would be possible if you might get in touch with the developers of FF/Seamonkey and ask what

was changed between Seamonkey 2.0.14. and 2.1 - same with FF. Maybe the bookmark/history problem is not soooo hard to fix ?

A year ago in http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157173-kext-diy-kernelex-extensions/page-5#entry1026129 I suggested some definitions that might get SM2.9.1 working, but have seen no follow-up. SM2.6.1 has been working (with caveats) for several years. SM2.0.14 is the last to function fully according to http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/SeaMonkey.

Googling "Seamonkey 2.1 changelog" I quickly got to http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.1a1/changes

It appears that SM2.0.5->2.1a1 involved a migration "from Fx3.5x to Fx3.6x"

KernelEx and debuggers don't like each another, making debugging of these bookmarks, history, printing, and other modern issues very difficult. :(