Allow Lowercase on Multiboot-DVD

whocares02

Hmmm...

No, the suggestion was burning an Iso with imgburn and setting up filesystem and boot-option manually.

And I said

IMGBURN will create a DVD Image and/or burn a Built DVD from folders.

<snip>

Get IMGBURN and look it over.

and that was my preference as opposed to MKISOFS, since it has a GUI and functions very well (IMHO) similar to NERO, which DOES have "Ignore Read Errors" under "Copy Options", which "apparently" you are MOUNTING an ISO image (we don't know that). Please note that nLite uses its OWN parameters INTERNALLY to pass to it (MKISOFS), which is a COMMAND LINE tool. This is where you are erring, among the fact that you missed the remainder of the thread CLARIFYING what would need to be done, regardless of the tool to be used.

Also note that "?" wherever I had used it means :unsure: (UNSURE). I do tend to do that occasionally rather than use an emoticon.

Randomly attempting to create a CD/DVD/ISO outside of SPECIFIC instructions by ANY member (INCLUDING corrections by other members) and expecting it to work will continue to result in failures. You are not being clear which will ALSO result in "bad advice". The USUAL method is to clearly state WHAT you want to do thusly (to borrow jaclaz' now-famous link) -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

Otherwise, the best that can be done is give EXAMPLES and continue going in circles.

Thank you, and HTH. ;)

Yes, requirements are changed: grldr finds a ISO9660 filename /MENU.LST and /menu.lst.

A uppercase or a lowercase file is found.

That's a goo thing! Propably the reason my CD is booting now, finally.

There should be no need whatsoever for symlinks or hardlinks in any Windows XP install CD/DVD :unsure:

Did nlite create them? :w00t: (or did you add them, and if yes, why?)

The almost 4 Gb seem to me like a very, very large (and possibly complex) build

No, I DID CREATE THEM! Of course! And I don't need to explain why! The fact I did creat them lets you now that there WAS need for them because I decided so. The only important information here for you is: mkisofs provides a switch to follow hardlinks in windows. Hence there is not even a problem anymore - just something to learn.

The almost 4GB size is the result of many applications I added to my build. They are all running fine. There is nothing complex about it.

My problem is now to choose a proper filesystem. Joliet4 seems to work for installation. However, after setup finishes special characters are displayed wrong on the dvd. Very annoying because of german Umlaute (Ä, Ö and Ü). I can't acces my additional folders now.

Mkisofs is from the official homepage. Not my fault it's not newest version. Only strange thing: It still crashes when I run it from drive f:\. Residing on drive C:\ everything works well. Maybe it's really some bug: Drive f:\ is a JBOD-Raid on my PC.

@cdob:

Step back one step. Rephrase the question.

You like to create a Multiboot-DVD.

So far I understand grub4dos as bootloader and adding Windows XP.

Which multi boot parts do you like to include too?

My decision creating a multiboot-dvd was last minute, when I discovered my nlite-iso is running pretty well. I just added an old version of hiren's boot-CD (small in size, fast linux onboard) to provide a partition-manager and repair-kit. It is working already. Actually I need no help with it.

My problem is the final installed XP has problems with some characters. With RockRidge XP's textsetup has trouble reading files.

Should I just try Iso-Level3 then?

I know some file-names HAVE to be uppercase. Therefore I look for a way to allow both, upper- and lowercase, compatible with textsetup. I took care already keeping iso below 4GB.

When setting up a computer someone always needs a partition-manager. Making my dvd multi-bootable would save swapping disks.

No, I DID CREATE THEM! Of course! And I don't need to explain why! The fact I did creat them lets you now that there WAS need for them because I decided so.

Well, you don't *need* to, but it would have been nice of you to provide this information :yes:.

The only important information here for you is: mkisofs provides a switch to follow hardlinks in windows. Hence there is not even a problem anymore - just something to learn.

Let me assure you how that information is not at all important to me, basically because I already knew about it, most probably long before you learned about the existence of nlite or mkisofs (but thanks for providing it :)). For the record, the version of mkisofs I use has even a "-duplicates-once" switch! :w00t:

The almost 4GB size is the result of many applications I added to my build. They are all running fine. There is nothing complex about it.

Good. :)

My problem is now to choose a proper filesystem. Joliet4 seems to work for installation. However, after setup finishes special characters are displayed wrong on the dvd. Very annoying because of german Umlaute (Ä, Ö and Ü). I can't acces my additional folders now.

Then the thingy is maybe not actually "running fine" or maybe it is "running fine BUT with wrong characters displayed" :unsure:.

Mkisofs is from the official homepage. Not my fault it's not newest version. Only strange thing: It still crashes when I run it from drive f:\. Residing on drive C:\ everything works well. Maybe it's really some bug: Drive f:\ is a JBOD-Raid on my PC.

The basic question remains,why would you ask for suggestions/guidance and later do something different?

By the same tokens you should use only the grub4dos version that you can find on the sourceforge or gna.org page.

jaclaz

Grub4Dos doesn't get updated since years. The provided link is pointing to some chinese website. I guess somebody did just continue working on it. This is called a fork.

I downloaded the newest Mkisofs from the official Sourceforge-Site, here. I'm sure somebody here knows even some newer fork. But actually this one is working. So the question actually is not

why would you ask for suggestions/guidance and later do something different?

The question is rahter: "Why should I change something that is already working?"

Then the thingy is maybe not actually "running fine" or maybe it is "running fine BUT with wrong characters displayed"

Mkisofs has an option to define input- and output-character-set.

I now tried ISO-Level 3 with Codepage 850. The Iso installed properly. However, Umlaute are still displayed wrong on DVD in explorer. At least I can access these folders now (was not possible with Joliet-4 and unset codepage). Seems I have to fiddle around a bit to get the right combination.

My mkisofs-command I used was:

mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long input-charset cp850 -output-charset cp850 -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.4.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

I got some warnings with this, but mkisofs didn't stop creating the ISO:

Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.Warning: creating filesystem with (nonstandard) Joliet extensions         but without (standard) Rock Ridge extensions.         It is highly recommended to add Rock Ridgemkisofs: Iconv based locales may change file name length.

Iso was bootable. Textsetup and everything else had no reading-problems.

Let me assure you how that information is not at all important to me, basically because I already knew about it, most probably long before you learned about the existence of nlite or mkisofs (but thanks for providing it :)). For the record, the version of mkisofs I use has even a "-duplicates-once" switch! :w00t:

LOL, ROFL :lol: I so much don't give a shit!

Hardlinks are transparent to windows-programs. I use them extensively. Not even XP distinguishes between usual folders and hardlinked ones. Mkisofs seems to be an exception. I guess it's because it's a linux-tool. Nice to see they didn't forget windows-hardlinks!

Grub4Dos doesn't get updated since years. The provided link is pointing to some chinese website. I guess somebody did just continue working on it. This is called a fork.

Not in this case.

JFYI (already provided link):

http://reboot.pro/topic/14-grub4dos/

http://reboot.pro/topic/14-grub4dos/?p=133739

The question is rahter: "Why should I change something that is already working?"

Possibly to get something that is working better? :unsure:

jaclaz

jaclaz

Grub4Dos doesn't get updated since years.

grub4dos is being actively developed and improved by chenall and others - see here.

version 0.4.6a includes Joliet3 (soon also Joliet4) support and has it's own USB driver (like Plop but it is rd/wr and built into grub4dos).

Strange, seems to ignore Joliet fileystem.

Compare file systems at ISOBuster. The free version supports ISO9660, Joliet and RockRidge.

Cygwin/Iconv can handle Umlaute at ISO9660:1999, -iso-level 4 nowadays.

Haven't done this in years. Seems to be some fun.

Back then I used a environment variable:

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850
Simple example added: "mkisofs -iso-level 4 -o o.iso ."

Umlaute are listed correctly, given CP850 is set at windows. That's the default codepage at a german installation.

Mkisofs is from the official homepage.

Which files do you use?

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/cdrecord.html

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/

Jörg offers source code only nowadays, last win32 binaries are from 2001.

http://www.student.tugraz.at/thomas.plank/index_en.html

Thomas offers binaries since then.

Actually I need no help with it.

That's good, because support won't be within forum rules.

Should I just try Iso-Level3 then?

I've to correct: -allow-lowercase allows lowercase.

-iso-level 3 -N -D -d -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -joliet-long

I know some file-names HAVE to be uppercase. Therefore I look for a way to allow both, upper- and lowercase, compatible with textsetup.

Post #12 refers FileCase.exe http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=4382&view=findpost&p=26119

Uppercase XP files in root, all folder and files within I386

I took care already keeping iso below 4GB.

Core boot files has to be below 4 GB LBA, the ISO file can be bigger. Edited by cdob

Thank, cdob. I'll try your new suggestions.

@Jaclas and Steve:

Please look at your posted links yourself. The project changed to a chinese host in 2009. I didn't know that and I think it's very interesting. However, the original gnu grub4dos died before. The project wasn't maintained for years! Good thing somebody saved the project.

Which files do you use?

The ones I linked in my post.

I typed this now:

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -N -D -d -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.5.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Iso-Level 4, no Joliet

For some reason it didn't accept input-charset cp850 anymore. Output-charset cp850 didn't work either because "input and ouptut charset are different". Hope it will work nevertheless. At least mkisofs did accept the line "set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850". It said something about "switching to cp850".

Are you sure ISO 1999 is a good choice? Somewhere within all the posted links someone stated, ISO1999 was worst-case with compatibility. I don't know the differences between version 3 and version 4.

No success - Explorer shows folders with special characters properly but the textsetup doesn't like the ISO. I'll try it with Iso Level 3 and Joliet now:

mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.6.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

At least mkisofs did accept the line "set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850". It said something about "switching to cp850".

Yes, that's it to get Umlaute.

Explorer shows folders with special characters properly but the textsetup doesn't like the ISO.

What happens at textmode setup?

Did you uppercase required files at hard disk first and build the ISO next?

@Jaclas and Steve:

Please look at your posted links yourself. The project changed to a chinese host in 2009. I didn't know that and I think it's very interesting. However, the original gnu grub4dos died before. The project wasn't maintained for years! Good thing somebody saved the project.

Again, the grub4dos has been ALWAYS developed by a group of Chinese programmers, and it has been CONSTANTLY mantained.

The original sites were:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051124034926/http://grub4dos.jot.com/WikiHome

https://web.archive.org/web/20131126183730/http://sarovar.org/projects/grub4dos/

and the program was supported on the Chinese forums United DOS and Sysoft .

Initially, and for a few years until 2009 the lead developer was tinybit, then another couple of nice guys (bean123, Climbing, and possibly a few others that I cannot remember) took over it because of some personal problems tinybit had, then chenall (yet another nice Chinese guy) started proposing (initially in a separate branch) a number of interesting and useful new features.

After 0.4.4-2009-10-16 which is to be considered the "stable" last version of the 0.4.4 series (and NO previous version of 0.4.4 series is suggested) there were for some time two branches, the "tinybit one" (more "conservative") and the "chenall one" (more "experimental").

The two branches were later re-merged together, and the official grub4dos main developer became chenall.

tinybit, still provides, when he can, patches and snippets.

In the course of this process, access to previous sites was lost and/or sites were closed, until finally the development (still by the same guys) went on on the code.google site:

https://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/

There NEVER was a "noticeable" gap (years) in the mantaining/developing of the project, only a rather complex number of changes to the project site(s).

Last version on Sourceforge is 0.4.4-2009-03-31, the one on gna.org is 0.4.4-2009-06-20, on the (now dead) page on nufans.net:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100212013943/http://nufans.net/grub4dos

there were:

Then the development was taken by chenall, and in the new grub4dos site, https://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/%C2'> there are versions starting from 0.4.4-2009-11-14 and 0.4.5-2009-12-20.

Rest assured, both myself and Steve6375 were around at the time, and actually if you can have this info in English is mainly because we managed to have reboot.pro (was bootland) become the grub4dos English support board for the project and a number of members helped with the "western" side of grub4dos.

Of course, if you are happy believing that the project died and wasn't maintained for several years and that it was "saved" much later, you are very welcome to do so :), though it is not an accurate representation of events.

jaclaz

(<<==head smacks desk... why does this pathway look familiar?)

ROFL! Please quit attempting to prove that you know more than everyone else. NOBODY is in such a position on the planet Terra.

When you are finally able to pin the tail on the donkey, please let us know which direction you took and by what method ("I smelled my way there...").

:w00t:

Ok, here is a summary of my many attempts creating a valid iso.

Regarding to uppercae files: I copied the whole XP-CD to HDD and let nlite process it. I don't need to change upper- or lowercase because they are all perfect already (e.g. files in Root-folder are all uppercase. Some specific files in some subfolder are lowercase, ...). Also, I created a GFX-BOOT.GFX in root-folder with (GFX Boot Customizer) so grub looks a bit better. I mention this because sometimes the file (uppercase) is found by grub, sometimes not. However, grub is always booting (maybe because of the newe version).

Here my results:

My Version: Bugfix 4.2: Iso-Level 4, Joliet, RockRidge, NO -allow_lowercase, NO -relax-filenames

mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -R -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-se g 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.2.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup fails (can't find cdrom.sys)

Bugfix 4.3: Iso-Level 4, Joliet, NO RockRidge, NO -allow-lowercase, NO -relax-filenames

.\mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o e:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.3.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup fails (can't find cdrom.sys)

Bugfix-Version 4.4: Iso-Level 3, Joliet, NO RockRidge, NO -allow-lowercase, NO -relax-filenames, -input-charset cp850, -output-charset cp850

mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long input-charset cp850 -output-charset cp850 -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.4.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Booting, Grub is using GFG-BOOT.GFX,

RunOnceEx.cmd can't use Umlaute. I discovered it was a problem with the codepage of the cmd-file, not the file-system. Also: It's possible I used the old mkisofs here. I don't remember if Explorer had trouble with folder names or not. There must be some reason I continued testing...

Bugfix-version 4.5: Iso Level4, NO Joliet, NO RockRidge, -relaxed-filename, -allow-lowercase

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -N -D -d -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.5.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup fails (cdrom.sys not found), Windows-Explorer is showing folders with Umlaute correctly

Bugfix-Version 4.6: ISO-Level 2, Joliet, NO RockRidge, NO relaxed-filenames, allow-lowercase

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850mkisofs -v -iso-level 2 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.6.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup fails (cdrom.sys), Grub is in text-mode, Isobuster shows "$OEM$" as "_OEM_"

Bugfix-Version 4.7: ISO-Level 3, Joliet, RockRidge, NO relaxed-filenames, allow-lowercase,

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -R -joliet-long -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.7.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup fails, grub runs in graphics-mode

Bugfix Version 4.8: ISO Level 3, Joliet, NO RockRidge, NO relaxed-filenames, NO allow-lowercase

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o n:\XP-SP2-Bugfix4.8.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Result: Textsetup is running !, Grub4Dos in textmode

My first interpretation: Grub4Dos likes RockRidge, Textsetup doesn't. Textsetup accepts both, ISO-Level 3 and -4.

The way of calling

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850

before mkisofs is executed seems to be the golden way to allow special characters for germany. I also tried

set LC_ALL=de_DE.CP850

and mkisofs did accept it. However, the special filenames with Umlaute did not work in the resulting ISO.

Also: Iso-Level 2 seems to be the wrong way for sure, since it cuts Umlaute and special characters like $.

Bugfix-Version 4.8 is the best versions up to now. It successfully installs the whole windows. Explorer and Isobuster show all folders correctly.

Edit:

Short-Version:

Version:    ISO-2    ISO-3    ISO-4    Joliet    RockRidge    relax flnams      all lwrcase    Booting?Bugfix 4.2    -        -        X        X          X            -                  -            NOBugfix 4.3    -        -        X        X          -            -                  -            NOBugfix 4.4    -        X        -        X          -            -                  -            YESBugfix 4.5    -        -        X        -          -            X                  X            NOBugfix 4.6    X        -        -        X          -            -                  X            NOBugfix 4.7    -        X        -        X          X            -                  X            NOBugfix 4.8    -        X        -        X          -            -                  -            YES
Edited by whocares02