Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Allow Lowercase on Multiboot-DVD

- - - - - iso9660 joliet boot filename lowercase uppercase multiboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
64 replies to this topic

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Thank you, I didn't notice the cygwin-ddl-download. Don't believe cdrtools3.something was newer then v4 though.

I attached two isobuster-screenshots for you, showing the root-folder of my version 4.4-Iso.

Edit:

The version IS newer. Thank you then.

mkisofs 3.01a23 (i686-pc-cygwin) Copyright (C) 1993-1997 Eric Youngdale (C) 1997
-2014 Joerg Schilling

Edit2:

@cdob: I was just about trying your script:

rem UpperCase XP files at hard disk
rem Win32 Console ToolBox http://stevemiller.net/apps/
ren F:\n-Lite-Temp\i386 I386
filecase.exe /u F:\n-Lite-Temp\win*
filecase.exe /u /s /d F:\n-Lite-Temp\i386

However, where do I get filecase.exe?

Edit3:

Allright, found it (as mentioned in line 2).

Edit4:

It's just an idea...but...is it possible ISO-3 includes UDF somehow? Because UDF supports mixed cases for filenames. When using imgburn and choosing iso-creation, the 3rd filesystem from top is ISO9660 + Joliet + UDF. Maybe Textsetup/grub4dos can read UDF...I'm still not into DVD-filesystem-theory....

Attached Files

Edited by whocares02, 02 April 2014 - 04:05 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

I finally got a working Iso:

• I changed all XP-filenames to uppercase, as suggested (thanks to cdob/Steve Miller).
  • I changed the line gfxmenu /GFX-BOOT.GFX in menu.lst to gfxmenu /GFXBOOT.GFX and renamed GFX-BOOT.GFX to GFXBOOT.GFX
  • I set LC_ALL to en_US.CP850
  • I set input- and output-charset to cp850 in mkisofs
  • I used Iso Level 3 with Joliet-Support

The resulting Iso has

• Graphical Grub4Dos
  • All file- and foldernames uppercase in Grub4Dos' command-line (Iso9660)
  • Special characters converted to underscores in Grub4Dos' command-line (ISO9660)
  • Umlaut- and special-character-support in Windows-Explorer (Joliet)

Here my input at the command-line:

set LC_ALL=en_US.CP850

mkisofs -v -iso-level 3 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -input-charset cp850 -output-charset cp850 -volid "XP-SP2 -DE_Silent" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -posix-L -o E:\XP-SP2-Bugfix5.1.iso F:\n-Lite-Temp

Something missing? Yes, sure. Grub4Dos' menu-help can't display Umlaute. Windows File Protection doesn't accept the CD as original. However these are rather minor bugs I can live with.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by whocares02, 03 April 2014 - 09:05 AM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,716 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

Yes, requirements are changed: grldr finds a ISO9660 filename /MENU.LST and /menu.lst.
A uppercase or a lowercase file is found.

That's a goo thing! Propably the reason my CD is booting now, finally. 

There should be no need whatsoever for symlinks or hardlinks in any Windows XP install CD/DVD :unsure:
Did nlite create them? :w00t: (or did you add them, and if yes, why?) 
The almost 4 Gb seem to me like a very, very large (and possibly complex) build

No, I DID CREATE THEM! Of course!  And I don't need to explain why! The fact I did creat them lets you now that there WAS need for them because I decided so. The only important information here for you is: mkisofs provides a switch to follow hardlinks in windows. Hence there is not even a problem anymore - just something to learn.

The almost 4GB size is the result of many applications I added to my build. They are all running fine. There is nothing complex about it.

My problem is now to choose a proper filesystem. Joliet4  seems to work for installation. However, after setup finishes special characters are displayed wrong on the dvd. Very annoying because of german Umlaute (Ä, Ö and Ü). I can't acces my additional folders now.

Mkisofs is from the official homepage. Not my fault it's not newest version. Only strange thing: It still crashes when I run it from drive f:\. Residing on drive C:\ everything works well. Maybe it's really some bug: Drive f:\ is a JBOD-Raid on my PC. 

@cdob:

Step back one step. Rephrase the question.
You like to create a Multiboot-DVD.
So far I understand grub4dos as bootloader and adding Windows XP.
Which multi boot parts do you like to include too?

My decision creating a multiboot-dvd was last minute, when I discovered my nlite-iso is running pretty well. I just added an old version of hiren's boot-CD (small in size, fast linux onboard) to provide a partition-manager and repair-kit. It is working already. Actually I need no help with it.
My problem is the final installed XP has problems with some characters. With RockRidge XP's textsetup has trouble reading files.
Should I just try Iso-Level3 then?
I know some file-names HAVE to be uppercase. Therefore I look for a way to allow both, upper- and lowercase, compatible with textsetup. I took care already keeping iso below 4GB.

When setting up a computer someone always needs a partition-manager. Making my dvd multi-bootable would save swapping disks.

Since when did msfn start allowing discussion that includes hirens? Even the newest versions are still warez and here he says he's using a old version

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,516 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Something missing? Yes, sure. Grub4Dos' menu-help can't display Umlaute. Windows File Protection doesn't accept the CD as original. However these are rather minor bugs I can live with.

Grub4dos supports UTF-8 encoding alright, that allows to have all the special characters, you may need to load a special font with the font command, see:

http://reboot.pro/to...menu-font-type/

http://rmprepusb.blo...n-grub4dos.html

http://www.rmprepusb...ts-and-graphics

Also, you may want to create a "German keyboard layout" for grub4dos. :unsure:, some hints and a basic worksheet are here:

http://reboot.pro/to...eyboard-layout/

http://reboot.pro/to...layout/?p=68522

The link to the (partial) german layout is dead, but can be retrieved form the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive....nhard/grub.html

https://web.archive....hard/german.txt

jaclaz

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,516 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

For NO apparent reason :whistle:

The latest 0.4.6a version understands Joliet4 - I gave a link a few days ago (it was in a bug report Issue - last download). Although not properly released yet, I have been using it for days and found no issues.

http://reboot.pro/to...stery/?p=183147

OK, found the problem. The version of grldr on the non-working was a very new March 2014 version (which otherwise seemed to work OK). When I updated it to an earlier one - it all works!

Must be a bug in that version.

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_FINAL.gif

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,508 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

1 - Kel is correct. One post did mention warez. Please do not discuss warez of any kind. If you haven't already doens so, pleae read the rules:

http://www.msfn.org/...tion=boardrules

2 - There are two items of note (AFAIK) in the construction of a CD/DVD: File System and Character Set. Here gives a simple explanation of Character Set per File System, albeit rather confusing because of the last Joliette statement:

http://www.cdrinfo.c...um/tm.asp?m=900

The topic is about Nero but still "kind of" applies. The "erroneous" statement actually refer to the Character Set applicable to the Joliette. The following is Wikipedia (mostly, but not always, dependable reference):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

TextMode -only- reads ISO-9660 (via the ElTorito Booting - via the BIOS Boot Selection). After TextMode the Joliette is read. UDF is -not- necessary -unless- you have -very- large files (AFAIK). Please note that -most- ISO-creating/burning softwares -usually- convert non-valid Characters depending on the FileSystems being created/used. I -personally- use ASCII for the Character Set. Please also note that NEWER MS OS DVD's use UDF -but- has a -different- BootImage than XP/2K3 and earlier. Win9x -generally- does NOT care about Joliette when Clean Installing, hence the reason I use ASCII, since it -prevents- conversion of (e.g.) "-" to "_". The Wikipedia link has further links and is -only- given as a reference point for your edification.

You're becoming -very- confused and -again- randomly wandering around with a blindfold on. Indeed, -many- of the MKISOFS parameters you're using (e.g. the System Architecture) are totally unnecessary.

Use the K.I.S.S. method instead of Overkill.

HTH

P.S. Also note the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R when using it for Real Hardware and the ability to Boot from it. I don't believe DVD-RW is generally supported. :unsure:

You can look that up further for yourself via Google: dvd+r vs dvd-r

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Actually I thought I used that special version. But with double-checking, I notice I did a downgrade again for some reason. Will try it again, thanks.

@Wipi: Please don't use the quote-button for spamming. I don't need the forum's permission to integrate software into my dvd. I've had this discussion about Hiren's on a different forum already. It is officially downloadable, gets recommended in forums like microsoft, tomshardware and others and is just the only full-featured repair-cd of on the web. There is just no commercial alternative. Please just f***-off and complain at some company..or at hiren's if you prefere that.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,716 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
Yup, I love you too it's just we have a thing called rules here and try to follow laws so we can keep the google ads and not get cease and decist letter from ms

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,508 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Hmmm... You juste earned yourself a Report Button for not reading the rules and vulgarly chastising me. This is NOT "a different forum" but MSFN instead.

You're welcome. ;)

BTW, My name isn't Wipi - it's submix8c. :yes:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,716 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
I think he meant me (wpi)

I also don't need his permission to post in this thread.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian, 03 April 2014 - 11:35 AM.

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

It's called censorship. I didn't link anything and didn't provided any download. Someone asked me what was on my CD. Not my problem you don't like it. As mentioned before, I don't wanna discuss about additional software but about grub/mkisofs-usage since this is the multiboot-subforum. And yes, I meant WPI Guru.

Edited by whocares02, 03 April 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,716 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
It's not censorship and it's defiantly not official or legal...

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,716 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
P.s it is not the only one! Here is a free and fully legal one you build with your own ms source file so it is legal

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

whocares02

whocares02

Junior

• Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 21-March 14

Thank you, I'll take a look at it. Never heard of it up to now. Hirens of course is official. It's hosted on it's own homepage. Big online-magazines, like heise provide downloads in additon. Afaik the author removed most of the commercial software already. I actually don't know of a tool on disk not being legal. OK, MiniXP of course...well then just don't use it.

Regarding to the grub-font. It seems the linked pages talk about fonts in graphical grub. I have help-texts only in text-grub. However the information utf8 is used might be usefull already. My menu.lst was coded in ANSI. I changed that. Maybe this already will do the trick.

Edited by whocares02, 03 April 2014 - 11:53 AM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,935 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

At this time, Hiren's Boot CD contains warez, which is clearly shown on their website. Until this product is proven to not contain warez, no discussions can be supported here.

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iso9660, joliet, boot, filename, lowercase, uppercase, multiboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users