New Malwarebytes 2.00.0.1000 found Trojan.fakeAV

On 4/1/14 I just downloaded the new interface of Malwarebytes and did an update and scan. It found this trojan.fakeAV and it shows in the AppData folder is where it resides and is called Toolbar AcceptRate.exe

So what is this and why did it come in from a antispyware company?

BTW. Just did three computers in the past 1/2 hour and the same thing came up on all three. I got the program from FileHippo.

And this ain't any April Fools Joke.

This means that it came in from Malwarebytes.

This means that it came in from Malwarebytes.

Not really-really.

If you get it from the original download from the MalwareBytes server:

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam

then it is possible, otherwise it is more likely that it is a "wrapper ad-ware" or the like added by the file hosting site.

I mean, IF the good guys at MalwareBytes actually did want to add a "forced toolbar", would they have it detected by their own program? :unsure:

In your thread here:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?265249-New-Malwarebytes-2-00-0-1000-found-Trojan&p=1461023

you already got all the answers you may need.

jaclaz

Yes exactly. Go to the original source! Unless he was looking for archived versions that is.

So what is this and why did it come in from a antispyware company?

To the OP, you do realize this does NOT prove that file seen in that folder came from MBAM install process. Why don't you post the link of the MBAM setup and I'll check it out.

Just because that file was found by MBAM does not mean it came with it. MBAM has been updated and has improved vastly in 2.0. The definitions had been updated to include that file and it's hash. When it found it as a match it had probably been there for a while.

I never will use a 3rd party site to get a program if I can get the program direct from the creator.

Yes exactly. Go to the original source! Unless he was looking for archived versions that is.

That's the beauty of my Anti-Malware Toolkit by the way. I make sure to get everything from either the official source or official mirror.