Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 8.1 update (Start Menu)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

epic

epic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Ok, so Microsoft finally got their head out of their asses and woke up, half way. It seems that Microsoft is finally introducing the classic Start Menu back into Winodows, which is a huge plus for Windows 8.1, AND providing the consumer the ability to run modern apps in a WINDOWED setting. However... Microsoft is failing to provide information about what the "ALL APPS" (ie: Programs, All Programs) link directs the consumers of Winodws 8.1 to. Does the "all apps" link push the consumer back to the poorly coded, annoying, and hated "modern start menu" and fill up the entire display, or does it tile and list all apps, WITHIN the Start Menu, as in previous versions of Windows?

I guess we'll see what the "all apps" link is all about, unless others have more information about this update.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

kaljukass

kaljukass
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Of course - if it's not April's fool joke.(?)

vinifera

vinifera

<)))><

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

they always seem to invent crap

then revert back to original which was good  :whistle:

what does that tell about company that spends millions $$$ for user experience program  :zzz:

(give me that money, I'll spend it wisely  :lol: )

Edited by vinifera, 05 April 2014 - 05:43 AM.

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

IMHO, everything they did with Windows 8 is ALL CRAP except its ability to boot fast and increased security. When they try to "improve" anything, they end making a million mistakes which end up in loss of features.

Edited by xpclient, 05 April 2014 - 07:50 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,382 posts

everything they did with Windows 8 is ALL CRAP

Self-evident. :yes:

to boot fast

Measurable and tested. :yes:

and increased security.

NOT measurable, still entirely to be proved/tested. :no:

jaclaz

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developers
  • 8,692 posts

IMO Still really ugly

Aloha

Aloha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Still more people become interested in using Win 8/8.1.  

epic

epic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

If it's released before Windows 9, and who knows what that looks like yet.

Edited by epic, 06 April 2014 - 11:24 AM.

vinifera

vinifera

<)))><

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

I fail to see how 8 is more secure when it leaks personal data more than any other win os before

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

This is very good for now I will finally be able to search effortlessly on my dad's computer. The only downside is that windows 8 is still crap and less stable than 7 or vista.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,382 posts

windows 8 is still crap

Self-evident. :yes:

and less stable than 7 or vista.

jaclaz

HarryTri

HarryTri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

I don't agree that Windows 8 is crap, they have their problems but we shouldn't be so negative, if it is really crap then why do we use it? Anyway the lack of Start Menu is indeed the most serious of its problems - of course there are some solutions for it available (I personally use Start Menu X by OrdinarySoft) - and it is good that Microsoft eventually heard the opinion of their customers on this issue.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

and less stable than 7 or vista.

jaclaz

For me I found it very unstable when trying to put a dvd in. Now I know that could be a driver issue, but

A.) I trust my dad with having proper and up to date drivers for he is very tech shabby .

B.) Never had the issue with windows 7 or vista when 7/vista was on that pc.

C.) I'm not messing with my dads work computer's setup.

Edited by Flasche, 12 April 2014 - 11:04 AM.

vinifera

vinifera

<)))><

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

I don't agree that Windows 8 is crap, they have their problems but we shouldn't be so negative

the **** thing has spyware written all over itself

metro was just another excuse to integrate IE even deeper into OS that is necessary

if it is really crap then why do we use it?

who is "we" ?

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

who is "we" ?

The same people who used Microsoft Bob.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,382 posts

The same people who used Microsoft Bob.

All 4 (four) of them ;).

jaclaz

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

metro was just another excuse to integrate IE even deeper into OS that is necessary

Doesn't help that flash is integrated into it too :( .

All 4 (four) of them ;).

jaclaz

:thumbup +1

Edited by Flasche, 12 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

HarryTri

HarryTri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

A lot of people use Windows 8 (me too of course). If you don't like it, just don't use it. Anyway you should respect those who do and their opinion and not insult them. :huh:

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Windows 8.1 is perfectly stable for me.  It runs for weeks on end, between updates.  I'm a software engineer and use it hard every day on a big system.

A few things are slower, most are about the same as Win 7.  A very few things are faster, but not by much.

There's really VERY little difference outside of the deleted desktop features, and whatever's happening on the Metro/Modern side (don't use it myself).

Honestly, the system seems about the same after the "Spring Update" as before.  No difference in performance, no difference in functionality that I see.  Certainly there's no new Start Menu, but who cares?  We have tools like Classic Shell now that are better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made.  We even now have Aero Glass so it's not such an eyesore.

XPClient's got it right:  "3rd party applications make Windows 8 my idea".  I'd add "and lots of reconfiguration" to that myself.

If you shut off / work around / avoid everything Microsoft's done to it since Vista it's not a bad system at all.

-Noel

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Donator

I hate to admit it but I am converted to Windows 8.1 and I feel very comfortable with it after a little bit of tweaking, namely, OldNewExplorer, StartIsBack and Aero Glass, I still love Windows 7 and and 8 doesn't bring anything new that I really care about, modern apps are a bit of fun but I rarely visit the modern apps start screen, I think the only real improvements for me would be slightly better boot times, less RAM usage and I guess it feels a little quicker.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
Certainly there's no new Start Menu, but who cares?  We have tools like Classic Shell now that are better than any version of the Start Menu Microsoft ever made.  We even now have Aero Glass so it's not such an eyesore.

The average user would not know how to downloads these though. It just shows that M$ doesnt really care about the user that much. (for kicks and giggles read this http://articles.lati...-finds-20140304 )

epic

epic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Has anyone updated, thoughts?

Is there a start menu?

So Microsoft is ending support to 8.1 if we chose not to update...  oh boy, I sure wish this were 400 A.D. era I'd be beheading neanderthals with joy.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN