Local connection only

mike13

I am working on a friends older Toshiba running Vista. It was full of viruses, that I was slowly able to get rid of. However, I can not get on the internet. Usually when I m working on a friends computer, I just connect another Ethernet cable to the computer from my router, but nothing. The computer also has a Wi-Fi built in, so I tried to connect wireless. It did connect to my network after I gave it the password etc. but it tells me that it is a LOCAL CONNECTION ONLY. How do I fix that, and get it to connect totally ?? Thanks, Mike

How about creating a new user account. Or, try the built-in Administrator account.

But ... neither should be done yet ... nor should you try to get online or join a network until the system is *definitely* cleaned.

In the interest of time it makes sense to just pull the HDD out, install it in a clean system as a slave ( a system set up with on-demand AV scanners and repair tools ), and run multiple scans against it "remotely". You will also want to manually go into all the TEMP locations and browser caches and desktops and user document folder trees and delete stuff that the automated scanners always miss. You also want to double check the boot sector and BOOT ini and traditional startup and task folders. Accessing the registry remotely and checking the startup keys for all users is also recommended. The services and tasks will also need fine tooth comb treatment.

There is no way to ever be certain that a system has been cleaned when performing the operations under that same live system. Even if the malware itself has no active countermeasures, the hurdle is Windows itself especially in later versions. It will block you from repairs just as effectively as malware. To achieve high confidence of "clean" it needs to be done outside of the infected box. Most of this can also be done by using remote access from something like DaRT or other environment.

FWIW, the lack of Internet or LAN is usually not a big deal, it might just be a FUBAR setting, policy or permission. If the system was new and never infected I would simply disable the NIC in the BIOS, then go to device manager in safe mode, show all devices, delete the NIC and associated networking, re-enable in the BIOS, reboot and reinstall the drivers. Or simply reinstall all the chipset drivers from scratch. Personally I wouldn't do this though, not until I pulled that disk and thoroughly "washed" it on another system ( or did it from DaRT ).