Windows Version? Developers using Update 1?

NoelC

I'm interested to know if anyone's developing / testing with Update 1 and has determined the identity via the IsWindowsVersionOrGreater version info API. I need complete version info for logging purposes, and I'd like to be able to differentiate "Windows 8.1" from "Windows 8.1 Update 1".

I'm guessing Update 1 will be considered "8.1 service pack 1". I'd just like to confirm this.

Thanks.

-Noel

Thanks, Andre.

It turns out they report 6.3 service pack 0, so there is no version differentiation at all. The things you have suggested above will prove valuable.

I wonder what bright spark at Microsoft decided that they need to change the whole way versioning is managed.

Ah well. I have put the update into a VM and so far it hasn't released the magic smoke.

-Noel

I wonder what bright spark at Microsoft decided that they need to change the whole way versioning is managed.

I don't think that some versioning has been changed. Version number has never been changed with any Windows updates.

Well, given all the hype, I kind of expected this "Update 1" to be like a service pack.

As it turns out it appears to be little more than a roll-up of prior fixes, with one or two minor UI changes (which I don't use anyway), so I guess it's just more "business as usual" Windows Updates.

The hype machine has never been more fired up - over nothing. Windows 8.1 after the much heralded Update 1 is essentially no different than before Update 1.

Bphlpt, magic smoke is amazing stuff. It's built into things to make them work. Once it's released from electronics, they don't work any more. Actually, I was saying that Windows 8.1 after Update 1 seems to work okay. But now I realize it's not really surprising that it does - since very little of substance has actually been changed.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well, given all the hype, I kind of expected this "Update 1" to be like a service pack.

As it turns out it appears to be little more than a roll-up of prior fixes, with one or two minor UI changes (which I don't use anyway), so I guess it's just more "business as usual" Windows Updates.

The hype machine has never been more fired up - over nothing. Windows 8.1 after the much heralded Update 1 is essentially no different than before Update 1.

Bphlpt, magic smoke is amazing stuff. It's built into things to make them work. Once it's released from electronics, they don't work any more. Actually, I was saying that Windows 8.1 after Update 1 seems to work okay. But now I realize it's not really surprising that it does - since very little of substance has actually been changed.

-Noel

Noel what that update does for you then is it allows you to continue to receive security updates from MS, i think i saw on their site that update 1 will be required for all future updates including security updates.

correct. You need the spring Update to get newer updates in the future.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355/en-us

Important All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates.

Big whoop. Anyone notice that nothing of particular value is being delivered by updates nowadays? You can fit a LOT of software changes in 800 MB. When Microsoft threatens to stop delivering updates if you don't install an update - opposed to giving a good reason to WANT the update - things have gotten bleak.

-Noel