Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Anyone still planning to use XP?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13
Hello,
XP support officially ends today. I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

Is anyone planning to keep XP?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

-X-

-X-

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

I am. For as long as they make secure browsers for it. After that, I'll probably switch to Linux or start running the browser under SandBoxie.

Edited by -X-, 08 April 2014 - 05:22 AM.

Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk post-12166-0-42859000-1399044129.png ]
               If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yes. :yes:

In which way this piece of info may be of any use to you, it remains a mistery for me. :unsure:

jaclaz

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,305 posts
  • Joined 23-November 05

In which way this piece of info may be of any use to you, it remains a mistery for me.

In the same way burglars are interested to know if you're going on holiday in the next weeks. :ph34r:

monroe

monroe

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 21-May 07

Donator

Yes for the short answer ... unless of course, when I decide to download and install the last XP updates my notebook should happen to catch fire and explode, then I may have a problem !!!

I plan to wait  a week or two to see if there are any update problems reported.

added ... I see where China may be an exception and XP users there may get more security updates after today.

China's Windows XP Users to Still Get Security Support

03 March 2014

http://news.techworl...curity-support/

Microsoft is making a special exception in the way it retires Windows XP in China, and will continue offering security support for the OS to users in the nation.

To do so, the U.S. software giant is partnering with China's leading Internet security vendors, Microsoft said in a Sunday posting on its official account with Sina Weibo, a top social networking site in the country.

Outside of China, Microsoft is dropping support of Windows XP on April 8, meaning that users of the OS will no longer receive security patches meant to fix vulnerabilities in the software.

.... more at the link, perhaps some of those updates will make it around the globe, who can say !

Also, this is interesting:

70% of China XP Users Never Applied Updates

Thirdly, data shows that 70 percent of China's XP users in the last 13 years have not chosen to use Microsoft's periodic security service updates. For most of the users, XP's retirement will have a limited impact. In spite of this, Microsoft and several domestic vendors will soon release a series of security measures, and offer continued protection to these users, before they eventually decide to upgrade to a new OS.

Edited by monroe, 08 April 2014 - 06:08 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

In the same way burglars are interested to know if you're going on holiday in the next weeks. :ph34r:

Planning to go on holiday next week doesn't actually mean that I will actually be away next week. :whistle:

For NO apparent reason:

Spoiler

though of course:

Spoiler

:lol:

jaclaz

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

Hell yes :thumbup  Windows XP FTW! I can't stand software made for dumb people - software which is a bully and an eye sore.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Doubting that it will be two years before Unofficial Updates, if I understood this correctly.

I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

As for me, I have multiple OS' depending on the purpose and hardware, so yes/no. Go ahead and try to break in, that is if you think I'm not home (PC on and connected at random times) and CAN break in (through NAT and two firewalls and a running antivirus). Wonder which OS you'll be trying to attack?

Ooohhh I'm scared! :ph34r:

Seriously, the Topic/Question is the same as the other Topics. Are you a News Reporter, attempting to get us to be distraught as possible of the impending disaster (yet to occur)? :w00t: I noticed the NEWS stations running short blurbs about this with recommendations to UPGRADE NOW TO WIN8! Got the idea of all of this nonsense? I do! :yes:

"I ain't afraid of no ghost!"

Edited by submix8c, 08 April 2014 - 06:01 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

5eraph

5eraph

Update Packrat

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,165 posts
  • Joined 04-July 05

Donator

I'm not going anywhere.

RacerBG

RacerBG

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 07-November 13

I'm not just planning - I'm using it! :) I have hardware capable of running it (in terms of drivers) so why not?

banner-winxp-logo.gif

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Slashdot just up an article/discussion about this.

http://tech.slashdot...from-windows-xp

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Yep :), but what i find senseless is talking over and over about this, some starting months (or years) before this deadline, now on the day of the deadline and possibly for many weeks/months/years after today.

I mean, I personally went through both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 EOL's/End of support, and I continue to use a few machines with them fine, like many other members do, and like as well many members running 9x/Me's systems do, but there was not all this chatting about "what if","what are will you do when" "what will happen" "do you plan to", etc., etc..

And the world did not end on any of those occasions.

People that wanted (or could) upgrade (now in the case of Vista or 8 one could use more properly the verb downgrade instead ;)) to the new version of the MS OS, did that.

People that did not want (or could not) upgrade continued using the "previous" OS and learned to either solve or workaround the issues caused by new hardware and new software incompatibilities and/or learned to live with the few (or many) inconveniences that this caused.

A third category entered (like myself) a "mixed mode" running whatever OS he/she sees fit, depending on machines, use and what not.

But there wasn't all this talking, AFAICR.

jaclaz

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Those were simpler times.  Security has always been an issue, but it is a substanially more visible issue now and it changes the decision and the conversation.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Those were simpler times.  Security has always been an issue, but it is a substanially more visible issue now and it changes the decision and the conversation.

I can hardly confirm that, and in any case this specific topic has been already discussed at length, like here (examples):

http://www.msfn.org/...support-it-lol/

http://www.msfn.org/...ally-necessary/

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

On a side note -

http://blogs.wsj.com...havent/?mod=ST1

Not going away real soon. ;)

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

TrevMUN

TrevMUN

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Joined 26-March 14

The day I give up Windows XP64 (and Windows XP32 on my laptop) is the day when they can no longer serve their purposes. When I can no longer use XP64 for my computer graphics and animation projects, that's when I'll consider giving it up. XP32, well, I already use it for the odd bit of 32-bit and 16-bit legacy computing, I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

Microsoft's FUD campaign has been a huge turn-off for me. You can tell they are desperate for people to shell out hundreds of bucks for a new OS, since their attempt at forced obsolescence of Windows XP hasn't turned out too well for them. They seem to be doubling down on that, though, if their hesitance to announce whether they will give Windows 7 DX12 support indicates anything.

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13

Yes. :yes:

In which way this piece of info may be of any use to you, it remains a mistery for me. :unsure:

jaclaz

It's not really important to me, but there are many users here that still use discontinued os'es. I was wondering if everyone would still use it.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

I'm not giving up on XP yet, I mean I didn't buy POSReady 2009 for nothing, which may, or may not get updates, but still. XP is fine, and I dont see any issues as long as the user has common sense. (Which no offense is lacking today)

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13

Doubting that it will be two years before Unofficial Updates, if I understood this correctly.

I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

As for me, I have multiple OS' depending on the purpose and hardware, so yes/no. Go ahead and try to break in, that is if you think I'm not home (PC on and connected at random times) and CAN break in (through NAT and two firewalls and a running antivirus). Wonder which OS you'll be trying to attack?

Ooohhh I'm scared! :ph34r:

Seriously, the Topic/Question is the same as the other Topics. Are you a News Reporter, attempting to get us to be distraught as possible of the impending disaster (yet to occur)? :w00t: I noticed the NEWS stations running short blurbs about this with recommendations to UPGRADE NOW TO WIN8! Got the idea of all of this nonsense? I do! :yes:

"I ain't afraid of no ghost!"

That was when Windows 2000 started getting unofficial updates, and most software developers kicked support for it. However, XP seems more popular, so it will probably getting unofficial updates sooner than that. I do, however, think that in 2 years, all the developers will cease support for XP.

I wasn't sure that anyone else would write that topic. Why is MS even trying to push Windows 8? It has a difficult interface, slows down some programs that otherwise run perfectly under vista/xp/7, takes forever to check for wrong passwords, and the mouse freezes up all the time. I might get Windows 7 Pro, which comes with a FREE copy of XP. Even now discontinued, XP is still very secure, so long that you have an AV and a firewall.

Edited by ironman14, 08 April 2014 - 07:15 PM.

ironman14

ironman14

• PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Joined 16-October 13

Yep :), but what i find senseless is talking over and over about this, some starting months (or years) before this deadline, now on the day of the deadline and possibly for many weeks/months/years after today.

I mean, I personally went through both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 EOL's/End of support, and I continue to use a few machines with them fine, like many other members do, and like as well many members running 9x/Me's systems do, but there was not all this chatting about "what if","what are will you do when" "what will happen" "do you plan to", etc., etc..
And the world did not end on any of those occasions.

People that wanted (or could) upgrade (now in the case of Vista or 8 one could use more properly the verb downgrade instead ;)) to the new version of the MS OS, did that.
People that did not want (or could not) upgrade continued using the "previous" OS and learned to either solve or workaround the issues caused by new hardware and new software incompatibilities and/or learned to live with the few (or many) inconveniences that this caused.
A third category entered (like myself) a "mixed mode" running whatever OS he/she sees fit, depending on machines, use and what not.

But there wasn't all this talking, AFAICR.

jaclaz

I still prefer the older OS'es, like NT 4.0 and 2000. I have figured out a few tricks to try to make NT 4 run modern apps, yet I have to fully test them. XP is pretty good, but I find certain windows applications (like windows Explorer) have a tendency to freeze more often on XP than other Windows versions. But MS just started going downhill from there. Vista was good. 7 is okay. I can barely stand 8. I think you have a great idea, running multiple OS'es so you always have the one you need.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

at times I sometime think to even downgrade from 7 to XP

few things would miss, but XP is much responsive

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

at times I sometime think to even downgrade from 7 to XP

few things would miss, but XP is much responsive

Hey have you ever thought of bumping down to the vista club ;) . Best new M$ os I have ever used.

I still prefer the older OS'es, like NT 4.0 and 2000. I have figured out a few tricks to try to make NT 4 run modern apps, yet I have to fully test them. XP is pretty good, but I find certain windows applications (like windows Explorer) have a tendency to freeze more often on XP than other Windows versions. But MS just started going downhill from there. Vista was good. 7 is okay. I can barely stand 8. I think you have a great idea, running multiple OS'es so you always have the one you need.

Ditto, but I'm more of the 9x man B)

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

no

vista is trash to me

Edited by vinifera, 08 April 2014 - 09:23 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,016 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I'll keep using XP for sure (and I still use 98SE, too)!

ppgrainbow

ppgrainbow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined 04-October 11

Although I have Windows Vista x64 running, I will soon be installing Windows XP inside VirtualBox. :)

AVA Direct FX AM3+ specs: Zalman ZM Z9-U3 Black Mid-Tower case / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / AMD FX-4300 3.8 GHz quad-core processor / Fractal Design Integra R2 500W PSU/ Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler / Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1 TB (WD1003FZEX) SATA III 7200 RPM / Lite-On iHas124 Black 24x DVD-RW / 8 GB Crucual (2 x 4GB) / StarTech SATA-to-CompactFlash Adapter (35BAYCF2SAT) / Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 520 MHz 1 GB GDDR3 / Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users