Anyone still planning to use XP?

ironman14

The day I give up Windows XP64 (and Windows XP32 on my laptop) is the day when they can no longer serve their purposes. When I can no longer use XP64 for my computer graphics and animation projects, that's when I'll consider giving it up. XP32, well, I already use it for the odd bit of 32-bit and 16-bit legacy computing, I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

Microsoft's FUD campaign has been a huge turn-off for me. You can tell they are desperate for people to shell out hundreds of bucks for a new OS, since their attempt at forced obsolescence of Windows XP hasn't turned out too well for them. They seem to be doubling down on that, though, if their hesitance to announce whether they will give Windows 7 DX12 support indicates anything.

Is anyone planning to keep XP?

Yes. :yes:

In which way this piece of info may be of any use to you, it remains a mistery for me. :unsure:

jaclaz

It's not really important to me, but there are many users here that still use discontinued os'es. I was wondering if everyone would still use it.

I'm not giving up on XP yet, I mean I didn't buy POSReady 2009 for nothing, which may, or may not get updates, but still. XP is fine, and I dont see any issues as long as the user has common sense. (Which no offense is lacking today)

Doubting that it will be two years before Unofficial Updates, if I understood this correctly.

I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

As for me, I have multiple OS' depending on the purpose and hardware, so yes/no. Go ahead and try to break in, that is if you think I'm not home (PC on and connected at random times) and CAN break in (through NAT and two firewalls and a running antivirus). Wonder which OS you'll be trying to attack?

Ooohhh I'm scared! :ph34r:

Seriously, the Topic/Question is the same as the other Topics. Are you a News Reporter, attempting to get us to be distraught as possible of the impending disaster (yet to occur)? :w00t: I noticed the NEWS stations running short blurbs about this with recommendations to UPGRADE NOW TO WIN8! Got the idea of all of this nonsense? I do! :yes:

"I ain't afraid of no ghost!"

That was when Windows 2000 started getting unofficial updates, and most software developers kicked support for it. However, XP seems more popular, so it will probably getting unofficial updates sooner than that. I do, however, think that in 2 years, all the developers will cease support for XP.

I wasn't sure that anyone else would write that topic. Why is MS even trying to push Windows 8? It has a difficult interface, slows down some programs that otherwise run perfectly under vista/xp/7, takes forever to check for wrong passwords, and the mouse freezes up all the time. I might get Windows 7 Pro, which comes with a FREE copy of XP. Even now discontinued, XP is still very secure, so long that you have an AV and a firewall.

Edited by ironman14

Yep :), but what i find senseless is talking over and over about this, some starting months (or years) before this deadline, now on the day of the deadline and possibly for many weeks/months/years after today.

I mean, I personally went through both Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 EOL's/End of support, and I continue to use a few machines with them fine, like many other members do, and like as well many members running 9x/Me's systems do, but there was not all this chatting about "what if","what are will you do when" "what will happen" "do you plan to", etc., etc..

And the world did not end on any of those occasions.

People that wanted (or could) upgrade (now in the case of Vista or 8 one could use more properly the verb downgrade instead ;)) to the new version of the MS OS, did that.

People that did not want (or could not) upgrade continued using the "previous" OS and learned to either solve or workaround the issues caused by new hardware and new software incompatibilities and/or learned to live with the few (or many) inconveniences that this caused.

A third category entered (like myself) a "mixed mode" running whatever OS he/she sees fit, depending on machines, use and what not.

But there wasn't all this talking, AFAICR.

jaclaz

I still prefer the older OS'es, like NT 4.0 and 2000. I have figured out a few tricks to try to make NT 4 run modern apps, yet I have to fully test them. XP is pretty good, but I find certain windows applications (like windows Explorer) have a tendency to freeze more often on XP than other Windows versions. But MS just started going downhill from there. Vista was good. 7 is okay. I can barely stand 8. I think you have a great idea, running multiple OS'es so you always have the one you need.

at times I sometime think to even downgrade from 7 to XP

few things would miss, but XP is much responsive

Hey have you ever thought of bumping down to the vista club ;) . Best new M$ os I have ever used.

I still prefer the older OS'es, like NT 4.0 and 2000. I have figured out a few tricks to try to make NT 4 run modern apps, yet I have to fully test them. XP is pretty good, but I find certain windows applications (like windows Explorer) have a tendency to freeze more often on XP than other Windows versions. But MS just started going downhill from there. Vista was good. 7 is okay. I can barely stand 8. I think you have a great idea, running multiple OS'es so you always have the one you need.

Ditto, but I'm more of the 9x man B)

I am going to use Windows XP while my computers in the ideal performance range for this system, with memory between 1 GB and 4 GB, remain in working condition. I expect that new software (games, large productivity suites) will stop being compatible with XP, but will also have increased resource consumption, and wouldn't load at an acceptable speed even if a newer OS was installed. So I am going to stay with the old OS, and old programs. I find it best practice to pick software released several years before the hardware.

Security updates do not concern me at all, because I am successfully using XP SP1, last updated in 2002. Installing separate updates on top if it never made sense, because I cannot tell how they will interact with modded components or registry tweaks that I have on my system. (I expect they would assume Microsoft defaults, or partially rever to them.) Likewise I never update my SP3 installations, which required even more mods to be useful (like the TCP patch), and my two systems all contain files as they were integrated in the ISOs, a few years older than this End of Life date. They are also functioning normally.

I briefly mentioned this earlier ... "70% of China XP Users Never Applied Updates" ...

"Thirdly, data shows that 70 percent of China's XP users in the last 13 years have not chosen to use Microsoft's periodic security service updates. For most of the users, XP's retirement will have a limited impact. In spite of this, Microsoft and several domestic vendors will soon release a series of security measures, and offer continued protection to these users, before they eventually decide to upgrade to a new OS."

I found an interesting XP story at a Chinese site ... "chinaSMACK" ... the comments are also interesting, going back and forth about staying with an old OS, calling each other names ... you think you might be reading this in the US or Europe but it's China.

Microsoft Ends Support for Windows XP, Chinese Reactions

by Fauna on Monday, April 7, 2014

http://www.chinasmack.com/2014/stories/microsoft-ends-support-for-windows-xp-chinese-reactions.html

The following microblog post by state-broadcaster CCTV is the 6th “hottest” of the day, and the #Say Goodbye to XP# hashtag is currently the second most popular…

From Sina Weibo:

@央视新闻: Tomorrow, Support for XP Will Officially End! — Tomorrow, April 8th, Windows XP will be officially retired, with Microsoft to stop offering customer support. When the time comes, although XP will continue working, it will be even more susceptible to Trojan horse attacks! Many domestic companies have declared they will continue “providing for the elderly” XP, but in a recent private “attack and defense exercise”, many third-party protection software were “instantaneously” compromised by hackers, so XP “is old” now. On this last day, those who have used [XP] before, raise your hands and #Say Goodbye to XP#!

There are many comments ... I pulled just a few to show the discussions going on in China over XP ... seems to be a very "heated" topic of discussion there.

Those who agree with me that XP is better than Windows 7, click upvote.

---

The computer in my home is garbage, used only by my father to play Dou Dizhu or whatever. If it is attacked, then great, he plays so much everyday that he doesn’t even make dinner anymore.

---

Nowadays mobile phones are used as computers, computers are used as televisions, and televisions are used as decoration. People like this, click upvote

---

I suggest all hackers abandon attacks on the XP system. For the honor and self-respect of hackers as well as the XP that has accompanied us for so long, we need to reach a tacit agreement! Hacker knights, spare aging senile Win XP, let us use action to tell Microsoft that they may have abandoned XP but we will never abandon it! I’m still fantasizing about XP being a defenseless system but still becoming an eternal classic.

---

Retired, your mother, are they stupid c****? 70% of users in China are all using XP, so you think it is retired just because you say it is? You stupid c***.

---

XP dies on Qingming Festival

---

I only know how to use XP…

---

I don’t understand, what is the domestic media is trying to do announcing this in this way? The words “service will be ended” [服务 can be interpreted as "support" or "service"] is inappropriate. Microsoft is just stopping their service of providing updates and patches for the XP operating system. After April 8th, the XP operating system can still be used normally.

---

My computer happens to be XP, so what am I supposed to do now? Who can tell me?

---

Hehe, what is everyone who has pirated versions of XP installed getting all f****** upset about?

---

For next year’s Qingming Festival, I’ll sweep your tomb for you, ol’ XP…

---

My computer is XP, can I no longer use it? Or do I have to go to a computer repair place and re-download/re-install some software? I don’t understand.

---

A bunch of ridiculous people who use pirated versions discussing what to do now that Microsoft has stopped customer support… there was never any support for pirated versions in the first place, okay.

---

windows 95 was better than Vista, in fact, everything that ever was or will be is better than Vista. Everyone knows it, even Microsoft know that OS was a steaming pile of dog SH!*…

... OK so there is some interesting discussion going on even in China.

... OK so there is some interesting discussion going on even in China.

I've heard a lot of china uses IE6, still. But they could at least install SP3. Xp is better and simpler than 7.

Doubting that it will be two years before Unofficial Updates, if I understood this correctly.

I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

That was when Windows 2000 started getting unofficial updates, and most software developers kicked support for it. However, XP seems more popular, so it will probably getting unofficial updates sooner than that. I do, however, think that in 2 years, all the developers will cease support for XP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------- DAMMIT! Still haven't figured out the "direct" way of getting around "quotes" ----------------

I guess you didn't notice tha Unofficial Updates happened WAY sooner than that! Win2000 was EOL July 2010. That makes nearly FOUR years! By your reconning, that would make only TWO YEARS of "unofficial"! Where do you get your figures from? Did you take that New Math / Common Core course? "Unofficial" began IMMEDIATELY at EOL, as everyone here at MSFN is fully aware. SEEMS TO BE THAT YOU, SIR, ARE ATTEMPTING TO GENERATE FUD AS WELL! ;) Be aware that AS OF THIS MOMENT the day after), there are SOME that are already awaiting the NEXT Patch Tuesday to see what can be "transplanted". :yes:

Edited by submix8c