Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Anyone still planning to use XP?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts

@vinifera The two winlogon.exe file are identical: they have the same MD5 and SHA-1 hashes.

It must be a kernel exception that causes this failure.

Edited by harkaz, 09 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

id launch dependency walker for sure and compare if winlogon aint loading something additional

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts

I tried again by modifying Windows xp text-mode registry INF files. Again, system could not start at first boot (clean instalation initiated with the ProductSuite value set to "EmbeddedNT") - with a difference: it performed automatic restarts. Booting in debugging mode did not show any BSODs however.

I will try to remove the ProductSuite value from Windows Embedded to see what happens.

UPDATE: When I remove the productSuite value in POSReady 2009, winlogon starts and shows Windows Professional logo. But when I try to logon, it shows "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code: 0x8007074e "

Edited by harkaz, 09 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

If you can get your hands on a evaluation key. (Not product key) you can use POSReady 2009 for a full year before shutdown. Also Keys dont expire after use.

Yes, it won't be recognised by nLite.

Why would you need to. It already is very minimalist.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts

If you can get your hands on a evaluation key. (Not product key) you can use POSReady 2009 for a full year before shutdown. Also Keys dont expire after use.

I have already found an OEM product key for POSReady 2009. I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

It seems that Embedded versions contain some extra files required to boot Windows properly. I have no idea which those files are. After all, it seems much easier to port any future updates manually from POSReady 2009 to normal Windows XP editions.

Edited by harkaz, 09 April 2014 - 04:48 PM.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Hmmm... I would take that up with nuhi if I were "us". After all, it's call "whatever2009", well after XP-proper began. The point is, that -if- the base code is the same -then- those fixes -might- apply to XP-proper. Call them "Unofficial Updates" TBD.

How many here -do- have POS Ready 2009? One, that I know of. Anyone else willing to help out? :unsure:

I'm waiting for the next patch Tuesday. From there I will download them and put them on a new thread, and on a new page for my site. Now its a waiting game. (I'm willing to help in other words)

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

I have already found an OEM product key for POSReady 2009. I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

It seems that Embedded versions contain some extra files required to boot Windows properly. I have no idea which those files are. After all, it seems much easier to port any future updates manually from POSReady 2009 to normal Windows XP editions.

Does it have a timer of death.

• follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,785 posts

Donator

At least one POSReady2009 hotfix is known to install without any modifications on XP SP3: KB2878379-v2 (which contains Winlogon and Licdll v. 5.1.2600.6436)... :whistle:

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

At least one POSReady2009 hotfix is known to install without any modifications on XP SP3: KB2878379-v2 (which contains Winlogon and Licdll v. 5.1.2600.6436)... :whistle:

That is a good start in the right direction :thumbup . If this works out for the normal XP user than they'd just barely end before NT 6.0 :w00t:

• follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

harkaz

harkaz

Junior

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Does it have a timer of death.

The eval product key has a timebomb while the OEM product key doesn't. Once you enter an OEM product key during POSReady 2009 setup it's activated forever.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Important Notice. The good fools at M$ did not properly remove a virus in the POSReady 2009 download. Go into your Registry or get Malwarebytes or something to remove these registries

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SSOExec]
"Asynchronous"=dword:00000001
"Impersonate"=dword:00000001
"Logoff"="SSOReset"
"Unlock"="SSOExec"
"Lock"="SSOReset"
"DLLName"="%windir%\\temp\\sso\\ssoexec.dll"

Edited by Flasche, 09 April 2014 - 05:22 PM.

• follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

oldskool

oldskool

• 46 posts

XP will never die as long as there is hardware availible that XP runs good on.  So many programs good harware and games can run good on XP.  The only threat I see to XP is React OS and that is far a long way away from being able to replace a basic 32 bit windows platform.   I can say the same thing for windows 2000 and React OS.  

I used to be Die hard into win 2000 to run on my older systems mainly cuz of the low memory and CPU requirement.  Now programs like NLITE stripping everything out of XP makes it a better choice than 2000 as it is tiny and still much more compatible. 

The only real threat to a NLITED XP that has IE mostly removed and almost all services either removed or disabled is the user themselves.  In this scenario XP becomes more secure than newer versions of windows even without patches.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

I have been trying to find a way to convert a normal XP Pro installation to Embedded so that the Windows Update of a normal XP Pro machine would show POSReady updates without having to install Windows POSReady from scratch.

question should be what does WU reads to see if its Embedded or not

wouldn't it be cheating to change registry entries, launch WU to download updates, then revert back changes to reg?

oldskool

oldskool

• 46 posts

Theres no reason to do this.  Install POS to a virtual machine check for updates/download the updates from the update catalog on the VM. 

Regardless of the fact that the files may work on XP, the way in which the installers install the files is not always the same.  A example of this is the differnce between embeded service pack 3 and XP service pack 3.  They may contain the same files but they are not the same method of instalation.  Also it is not true that pos 2009 updates will instal on XP without modification.  There are some that look at the OS license type and version string of the OS and will refuse to instal.  Example of this again is SP3 of XP embeded.  Or windows 2003 server updates that contain the same files as the XP updates there are a few.

Edited by oldskool, 09 April 2014 - 06:34 PM.

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

and again you modify the "names" in registry and it should fit

the only restriction will be if updates check for kernel minor version

Edited by vinifera, 09 April 2014 - 06:47 PM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Hello,
XP support officially ends today. I bet you could safely, fully use it for about 2 more years, then we may get unofficial updates.

Is anyone planning to keep XP?

In many cases it's not really a matter of "planning". The computer in my office is an old Pentium 4 machine with 512 MB of RAM. It runs XP and there's no other choice for it :P (the software used here requires Windows to operate).
post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

G8YMW

G8YMW

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

My machine has XP, Win7 and Kubuntu (multiboot) My prime OS is XP , runs a treat,

Every time I use  Malwarebytes, hardly ever finds anything.

Win7 I found was mucking Firefox up (Hence me reverting to XP)  kept loosing the bookmarks and wouldn't load up except in Firefox "Safe mode" and wouldn't retain my settings.

Malwarebytes found 1277 issues. I cleaned them out. I also disabled all add-ons on Internet Explorer. Now 7 seems to be running better.

So which is the insecure O/S

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,785 posts

Donator

:angel

:)

Attached Files

Groucho2004

Groucho2004

• 18 posts

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows 7/8/8.1 percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use one of these newer OSs. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had XP as a choice.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,042 posts

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows 7/8/8.1 percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use one of these newer OSs. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had XP as a choice.

Here you are ;)

Attached File  faked_stat.gif   4.87KB   0 downloads

[1] See:

Spoiler

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,193 posts

And I wonder what the stats would look like if the corresponding Server Editions were included (and lumped against the corresponding Consumer OS)?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,242 posts

Why would only THOSE people be stuck with what they bought ? This works both ways;

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who bought a new PC and didn't really have a choice but to use that newer OS. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people would have had Win98 as a choice.

Or rather,...

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who have an old PC and don't really have a choice but to stick with it. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people (with hardware from 2006-2009) would have an upgrade to Windows 7 as a choice.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,785 posts

Donator

I suppose many (if not most) of the Windows XP percentages are from users who have an old PC and don't really have a choice but to stick with it. I wonder what the statistic would look like if those people (with hardware from 2006-2009) would have an upgrade to Windows 7 as a choice.

Regretably, the day they eventually get hardware good enough for 7, it'll only be available as an used OS, if at all... so they'll be stuck with "8.11 Update 3 SR8 SP5" or whatever absurd name MS'll have come up with, by then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN