Need Microsoft Security Essentials? Grab it now.

@Flasche - Bear in mind that MSE is (kind of) "embedded" in Vista/7/8 (as Defender) and is designed (now) for Vista and Win7. It's (in essence) an "improved" Defender. Strange that it's not available (AFAICT) for Windows8. Unless Win8 has the "improvements" buit-in. :unsure:

Please refer to this (scroll down to "difference") -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/frequently-asked-questions-about-malicious-software

:crazy:

@submix8c

The March timestamped one, v4.5.216.0, cuts off XP.

FileHippo has the October timestamped one...v4.4.304.0.

@submix8c

The March timestamped one, v4.5.216.0, cuts off XP.

FileHippo has the October timestamped one...v4.4.304.0.

Yes, but after you download the version FileHippo has you can go to windows updater, and get the latest one.

1 - @-X-: the Web Archive (ORG) link in the CodeBox -is- the October one, just prior to MS "updating" to exclude XP. I'm aware of the versions. Trust me, I checked by downloading both of them (and the Filehippo one) and comparing to the originals from the first link.

2 - Yes, Flasche, I would like to know how that's possible too? Maybe I'm missing something as well? Guess I'll have to "test install" and/or maybe inspect the EPP.MSI? -OR- maybe that you installed on POS Ready (still supported)? :unsure:

1 - @-X-: the Web Archive (ORG) link in the CodeBox -is- the October one, just prior to MS "updating" to exclude XP. I'm aware of the versions. Trust me, I checked by downloading both of them (and the Filehippo one) and comparing to the originals from the first link.

2 - Yes, Flasche, I would like to know how that's possible too? Maybe I'm missing something as well? Guess I'll have to "test install" and/or maybe inspect the EPP.MSI? -OR- maybe that you installed on POS Ready (still supported)? :unsure:

PosReady might have something to do with it. I just went to filehippo. Downloaded the version they had. Went back to installing updates, and noticed there was an update for MSE and downloaded. (I use web updater) I never new there was a cutoff. I just got MSE to make M$ mad.

OK, I'm confused... you ARE aware that there's a rather LARGE defintions file that goes with it, more than likely comes with Windows Update? You -did- say you got "updated" to Version 4.5.216.0, right? (The supposed LAST XP one is as stated above - V4.4.304.0.)

I am clearly missing something, but if I go here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/ENUS/x86/MSEInstall.exe

through the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://download.microsoft.com/download/A/3/8/A38FFBF2-1122-48B4-AF60-E44F6DC28BD8/ENUS/x86/MSEInstall.exe

I can download a MSEInstall.exe for x86 from a snapshot taken on March 25, 2014.

Files inside it (opened in 7-zip) are dated October, 23 2013.

The file downloaded from Filehippo is EXACTLY the same.

This should mean that the version for download on MS servers was the same at least up to March 25, 2014. :unsure:

jaclaz

Yes but you say the one in my original link is the October one or perhaps I'm confused. Sorry, I'm just really tired from the EOL work and providing support for the EOL UDC through Twitter. Need to stop that and make them come here instead. :crazy:

EDIT: I mean, you say it's still valid.

Also note, entereing the Post#1 x86 link also yields a March date that is still valid (same as Filehippo)

Like I said...tired. :)
Edited by -X-

Take a nap, -X-...

Clarification -

Original links (post#1) no good. Replaced with non-XP (the "newer" version) ones. Web Archive, when using original links for the search, yields XP ("correct" version) when using the March dates (since they're past the October "true" dates" but before the "replacement" of newer version). I will contend that the link I gave for getting the Latest Definitions is correct (I hope) "assuming" they're common to the "correct" version and the "current" version.

HTH

-edit- Also (per your edit above) "That was then, this is now". They -did- pull a "fast one". The "good" one has gone the way of the west. :( Let's just say this would be equivalent to an -immediate- removal of the Windows 9x "corporate" pages. ;)

Edited by submix8c

I'm just really tired from the EOL work and providing support for the EOL UDC through Twitter. Need to stop that and make them come here instead. :crazy:

It's much easier to support everybody when they're all in one place. :)