Can We All Expect This One Day To Save Money

Monroe

I posted an XP article from China earlier ... there was a link to this article ... can we also expect this from contractors one day everywhere trying to save money ... new buildings for the "seniors" ! ... low cost means "low cost" !!! ... I'm sure this will catch on all around the world.

Look at the pictures ... the building looks great on the outside from a distance.

Fake Windows Painted on New Chinese Qingdao Apartment Building

by Fauna on Saturday, October 26, 2013

http://www.chinasmack.com/2013/pictures/fake-windows-painted-on-new-chinese-qingdao-apartment-building.html

Fake Windows Painted on Low-Cost Qingdao Residential Complex Buildings

October 23rd, Qingdao, the Yichang Meijing ["Beautiful Scenery"] Residential Neighborhood located at the intersection of Yichang Road and Xinglong No. 1 Road in Qingdao city’s Shibei district is a low-cost high-rise residential complex. On the walls of three buildings near the Yichang Road side, many “windows” were neatly painted, with netizens calling it a modern Ma Liang and His Magic Brush.

October 23rd, Qingdao, the Yichang Meijing buildings under construction at the intersection of Yichang road and Xinglong No. 3 Road are affordable low-cost residential real estate. On the outer walls of the north face of the buildings are painted “fake windows” matching the specifications of the windows around it. Xiao Jian/CFP

... there are many comments at the bottom of the article ... but this one is priceless:

"How are thieves supposed to deal with this! After scoping out the terrain, with everything in hand, they dive into the window. BANG, they’re knocked unconscious."

Edited by monroe

I remember reading about this. It might have been a good idea at first, but the people who own the building had better keep up the maintenance. It will just look horrible in a few years once they get dirty and the pain starts wearing off.

I remember reading about this. It might have been a good idea at first, but the people who own the building had better keep up the maintenance. It will just look horrible in a few years once they get dirty and the pain starts wearing off.

If I may (as this is actually my professional field :yes:) the relevant point is a bit different.

Common building codes require a given ratio between area of a room and area of windowed openings in it (to allow the sun light to enter and to favour changing the air in it).

Usually (but of course not everywhere) the ratios are between 1:12 to 1:8, that is if you have a room of 20 sqm (roughly 216 sqf) there must be windows totaling at least 1.67 to 2.5 sqm (roughly 18 to 27 sqf).

Additionally modern codes tend to allow only units where natural "cross-ventilation" is possible (i.e. at least two windows exist on two different sides of the building) or otherwise prescribe an adequate ventilation provision.

The above are, more than anything else, "common sense" rules to have the place where you live "salubrious".

jaclaz