Another XP Update Question ... Sort Of !

Monroe

Just like to have an opinion or two about this ... or a direct answer.

I am wondering if running an XP update check on Update Tuesday would still be necessary ... even now after the last official XP updates have been released?

Here are my last XP updates for April 2014 ...

Microsoft Windows XP

Security Update for Windows XP (KB2922229)

Typical download size: 277 KB , less than 1 minute

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2014 (KB890830)

Download size: 24.7 MB , less than 1 minute

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2936068)

Download size: 9.2 MB , less than 1 minute

Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207)

Download size: 504 KB , less than 1 minute

Microsoft Office 2007

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2878236)

Download size: 2.1 MB , less than 1 minute

Of course I'm not interested in KB2934207 and KB890830 ... but could there be more updates for IE 8 not connected with Windows XP ? MS was still releasing updates for IE 6, if I remember. Also, I have Office 2000 installed but over the last year or so I have been getting an Office 2007 update every so often.

At first I was hesitant to install the Office 2007 updates but since I have an image backup on hand ... I did install them and I checked around the internet and could find nothing bad posted anywhere about putting these updates on with Office 2000.

So could there also be more Office 2007 updates down the road for some XP machines?

I was planning on turning off the Automatic Update Service but now I am wondering if it should be kept on for some possible future updates not directly XP updates but for IE8 and MS Office?

Edited by monroe

You will have to transplant updates from 2003 server 32 bit if they are compatible, or one of the XP derivatives still recieving updates. Possibly some windows vista 32 bit patches can be transplanted. By modifcation if they are for the same versions. Basically I am saying from experience of the windows 2000 post EOL patches and 98se post EOL patches XP will be able to be patched unofficially atleast until 2020. GL...

I think you answered your own question though. XP at its core is very mature and secure. Its the things like office, DontNet, windows media player, Internet explorer on XP that opens vulnerabilites becasue there is more attack surface. You want to be totally secure, NLITE XP and strip most of everything out that you do not use. Replace Office for ABI word or open office, unistall IE and use Firefox or chrome, Use som other media player. Dont instal all the Dot net crap unless u have applications that need it to run same goes for anyother runtimes like C++ runtime if you dont need it dont instal it.. And you will be fine. Use a firewall/Router unbind file sharing from your NIC. If you can lock down the admin account and run the OS as a limited user acount once u have everythign installed.

Edited by oldskool

Thanks for the reply ... but that's not what I really had in mind ... I don't plan on installing anything in the near future unless in a year or two some unofficial update projects show up. I am referring to using the IE 8 update tool.

I was just interested in how others think that there could be additional updates for the two that I mentioned ... IE 8 and MS Office. I suppose there could be some sort of XP update for some very serious flaw, I thought I read that somewhere, it would have to be something very serious.

Edited by monroe

I suppose there could be some sort of XP update for some very serious flaw, I thought I read that somewhere, it would have to be something very serious.

And WHEN this will happen, IF it will happen, we might be able to talk about it. :whistle:

What we could discuss at length - right now :yes: - is which adjective among hypothetical, speculative and conjectural:

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/24417/what-is-the-difference-between-speculative-hypothetical-and-conjectural

is more suitable on this nth thread about the (unknown) future of XP updates (or complete lack of them).

JFYI, I am personally tagging these threads under otiose :w00t:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/otiose

jaclaz

Again thanks for the reply ... but not what I was looking for.

I am not making my question clear so I have made my decision ... I will not "turn off" the Automatic Update Service for at least 3 or 4 months to see if anything new actually shows up. My plan 6 months ago was to turn the service off (finally) after the April updates but now I have reconsidered and will put that on hold.

Again thanks for the reply ... but not what I was looking for.

I am not making my question clear so I have made my decision ... I will not "turn off" the Automatic Update Service for at least 3 or 4 months to see if anything new actually shows up. My plan 6 months ago was to turn the service off (finally) after the April updates but now I have reconsidered and will put that on hold.

Nice new plan :thumbup:.

It strangely *somehow* reminds me of the SETI project :w00t::

http://www.seti.org/node/647

the idea of listening for meaningful signals to prove the existence of Microsoftial intelligence in Seattle is intriguing :yes:.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

There won't be anymore new official updates for XP. Through windows update. You maybe able to download patches to an unpatched system but wont recieve any new ones. You may however be able to access the windwos update cataloge Idk though. I run X64bit so I am still getting patches. I only run 32bit on my older cumputers that I mostly play games on or store files. I stoped using 32bit when games I started playing needed more ram, and PAE wans't helping only making crashes becasue windows could use all my memory but only alocate 2 gigs per program and when game got to over 2 gigs it would crash.

Edited by oldskool

..Its the things like office, DontNet, windows media player, Internet explorer on XP that opens vulnerabilites because there is more attack surface.; You want to be totally secure, NLITE XP and strip most of everything out that you do not use.; Replace Office for ABI word or open office, uninstall IE and use Firefox or chrome, Use som other media player.; Dont install all the Dot net crap unless u have applications that need it to run same goes for any other runtimes like C++ runtime if you dont need it dont instal it; And you will be fine. Use a firewall/Router unbind file sharing from your NIC. If you can lock down the admin account and run the OS as a limited user account once u have everything installed.

Dontnet? LOL, my new name for that one now. I agree, reduce one's attack surface, uninstall MS apps (using nlite or another app) such as Office, WMP, Outlook Distress, Messenger, Silverlight etc. and use third party apps, kill uneeded services, use a router, hosts file, standard account, use NoScript/NotScript on your browser, etc.

Edited by the xt guy

There won't be anymore new official updates for XP. Through windows update. You maybe able to download patches to an unpatched system but wont recieve any new ones. You may however be able to access the windwos update cataloge Idk though. I run X64bit so I am still getting patches.

How are you getting updates for XP x64 Edition?

It sounded to me as if he eluded to getting x64 updates AFTER April on Windows Update. Read the paragraph:

"There won't be anymore new official updates for XP. Through windows update. You maybe able to download patches to an unpatched system but wont recieve any new ones. You may however be able to access the windwos update cataloge Idk though. I run X64bit so I am still getting patches."

The manner in which he makes the distinction sounds as if in May, June, July, .... he still expects to receive updates for x64 through Windows Update.

Edited by JodyThornton

Be aware that I had just yesterday downloaded all of the XP x64 (known) updates "through April" and the all begin with "WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP" so, who knows? Again (as stated elsewhere), this is only Saturday after April Patch Tuesday.

Again (as stated elsewhere), "Patience is a virtue"...