Escape From XP [browser game]

Tripredacus

It works fine in Firefox from here and also in Chrome (but not in my beloved Opera, whereit is stuck on the initial Windows XP loading bar and never makes it to the desktop).

The BSOD is seemingly part of the "intro".

jaclaz

I was able to "attempt" to play it in Firefox. After the BSOD dissolved, there was a screen saying "press space to skip", then a scrolling title was displayed. The game was a platformer with Windows windows as floors and burning recycle bins and damaged my-computers (as if taken from Artificial Intelligence (2001) and the Office assistant Clipp-It as monsters.

The whole thing ran at an unplayable speed on my decent 1.8 GHz CPU (considering that the application is a platformer game). This apparently is the "cloudy" future, with crippled PCs where the whole OS lives inside the web browser, and the simplest of games fully tax the CPU. Escape!

Running such applications in IE can be hazardous for the health of my PC. I would never consider it.

They are not dissing Trinitron too, are they?

When I tried to play it in Firefox, I got a blue screen that said I needed to use a more modern browser like IE11. When I played it with IE10, I saw the intro "blue screen" and it was different. I didn't like the controls much.

The controls seem quite modern and "reversed". I never got used to WASD for movement and use the arrow keys for that. The main problem is that the WASD section isn't grouped and cannot be located by touch.

In Opera the game got as far as the end of the booting progress bar.

Yes the controls do seem reversed. I got used to WASD for first person games, but in this one I found myself keep trying to move with the arrow keys. Thus, I was not able to escape XP. I wonder if this game actually has an "end" to it or if you can't actually escape XP and IE6.

Worked fine on SeaMonkey so I dont know why it wont work on Firefox.

Didn't say it didn't work. Said it "hung" on the "Windows" progress bar. I'm not on XP ATM, but a "variation" (nunya biz ;) ) "unpatched/updated" (latest SP), so that may be why it just kept being "progressive". :unsure: FF12 and (whatever version of) Seamonkey is not the same, even though (AFAIK) the "root" code is the same.

JS...

Worked fine on SeaMonkey so I dont know why it wont work on Firefox.

Didn't say it didn't work. Said it "hung" on the "Windows" progress bar. I'm not on XP ATM, but a "variation" (nunya biz ;) ) "unpatched/updated" (latest SP), so that may be why it just kept being "progressive". :unsure: FF12 and (whatever version of) Seamonkey is not the same, even though (AFAIK) the "root" code is the same.

JS...

Well since the xp variation is nunmy biz :P then may I ask why firefox 12.

As jaclaz said. It works on Chrome, at least it did for me.

jaclaz also said how it worked for him on Firefox (I checked and version is 27.0, since I don't use it often, please read as "almost never", cannot say if it is a good or "recent enough" version).

jaclaz

It doesn't get past the progress bar in Firefox 22 for me either. But works in Firefox 27. In Opium 19 (Opera/Chromium) the perrformance is considerably better. I don't have vanilla Chrome.

In the long, long ago, Windows XP rose like a phoenix

from the ashes of Windows 2000.

What ashes? XP is the same thing, and until around XP SP2 most software remained compatible with 2000.

Why is the icon of MSIE 7/8 shown when the game talks about MSIE 6?