Remote desktop issue

RexZShadow

I currently have a windows 2008 R2 server set up in VM Ware workstation on my main computer thats running windows 7. I have a second computer that I installed windows 7 on and I try to join it on to server to use remote desktop. I changed the DNS to that of the server but it doesn't work. Now can connect to the server on the host computer the VMWare is being using on. So does running windows 2008 R2 on vm ware change how you connect to it from outside the host computer? Thanks for any help.

Not sure how you have it set up. For vmware change the virtual network card in the device list for your VM to bridged mode. Boot up the VM go into the TCPIP settings and do static IP. It has to be on the same subnet as the host computer. So if your subnet is 255.255.255.0 make the subnet the same. Make the IP whatever same IP adress range your host system is on. So if the host computer is 192.168.1.43 Make the VM IP 192.168.1.10 for exapmple, The gateway is going to be your routers IP adress. You can find out what the gateway is by doing IPconfig in the command prompt of host system. Now if you are running DNS services on th VM than the DNS can be same as the servers own adress. But if not just do one of these. http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast-public-dns-server-list/

What you are doing is Bridging the VM NIC to the same network as all your other computers. Do not use HOST host is bad. What host does is makes your host PC a router that the VMs sit behind though NAT. That is probably why you can connect to it becasue its is set up as a NAT. Dont let that confuse you with NAT mode. NAT mode is worst.

IF you did like what I recommended you can now RDP to the 2008 VM.

Edited by oldskool

I understand what your saying but I can't really find the settings your talking about. I'm using VM Ware workstation 10. I open my VM and at the top I click VM and go to setting. In there I found network adapter and its set on NAT, so I changed it to bridge is that right? Or are you talking about going to my host computer to the network and sharing center than click change adapter setting and there like list of all the network adapter in there and change the vm setting in there?

Edit: I GOT IT TO WORK WOOO THANKS =D

Edited by RexZShadow