A Question about Windows 2000 and more

Hello again, my name is Chris, anyway, I was thinking before of running Windows 2000, but the one thing I don't like about it, is that it will not be able to use all my ram, which is disappointment to me as I use a video editor alot for personal projects, not only that I cannot figure out how to even install Google Chrome on W2k, seems complicated as I must be doing something wrong also Windows 2000 kept crashing on me from just using firefox and downloading a file too rebooting explorer for no reason which was frustrating, I was testing W2k in a Virtual Machine to see what I would have to do, and running any other system such as Windows NT would still be problematic. so I though I should stay with running a x64 operating System as I already have over 11GB of RAM, 2x TB Drives and a processor that is not supported on such older systems.

I currently use Windows 8.1 Core, but I was wondering if something like XP x64 or Server 2003 x64 was any more faster then what I am running. so I tested Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 in a Virtual machine, I noticed that the installation was very fast, and even logging on to the desktop was quick. though I remember when I used it years ago, I had some trouble with applications though I cannot remember what didn't work, anyway would this be a good idea or should I just forget it and stay with Microsoft Windows 8.1 Core.

Edited by Bakuchris

Hi Chris,

W2k Pro accesses 4GB of Ram. Server editions access more but limit to about 4GB per task (or per application). I know no solution and strongly suspect that there can be none. The part between 4GB and 11Gb can at most serve as a faster paging file (with tricks). It all depends on if you applications require more than 3 or 4GB.

Google Chrome doesn't run normally on W2k. There are tricks which didn't work on my W2k and destabilized my OS. If you're not seasoned with W2k, don't try. Use Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer - of the proper version !

More generally, tricks exist to run software not normally meant for W2k, but don't begin with them until you know this OS well. Important time investment, risk of instability.

W2k is extremely stable, by far the best I had among W95-98-Me-2k-Xp. Firefox runs properly on it, but not the latest versions normally. Though, I can't tell about virtual machines.

2TB is the limit on W2k - though sectors larger than 512B may improve that; for sure, my W2k accepted 4kiB sectors. Also, with Intel Raid, I could split a bigger disk to look as several disks (not volumes! Volumes wouldn't improve) which were then used properly by W2k.

Is there any processor that won't run on W2k? Some chipsets have no official driver, which is a worry for the disk host mainly - but the Xp drivers have been ported. There are tricks for the number of cores and hyperthreading - W2k Pro limits them to 2 normally, varied 2k Server accept more.

You must be aware that fewer applications and drivers run on W2k as time passes, and some tuning (like disks >128GiB simply) may look archaic. Presently you'll find knowledgeable people here at Msfn, but is it worth learning it in 2014 if you didn't use it before? I stick to W2k because it's the one I know best, the best I have had up to now, and it's older than many governmental spying bugs introduced later. It's also more reactive than Xp (though not at bootup), but I'm not sure it's any faster than Seven for instance.

Hi.

I will soon release new English version Windows 2000 Hfslip Image Creater.

It includes all Update till 2014 Apr and some useful applications (Firefox ESR 24, Google Earth 6 etc.)

Hello again, my name is Chris, anyway, I was thinking before of running Windows 2000, but the one thing I don't like about it, is that it will not be able to use all my ram, which is disappointment to me as I use a video editor alot for personal projects, not only that I cannot figure out how to even install Google Chrome on W2k, seems complicated as I must be doing something wrong also Windows 2000 kept crashing on me from just using firefox and downloading a file too rebooting explorer for no reason which was frustrating, I was testing W2k in a Virtual Machine to see what I would have to do, and running any other system such as Windows NT would still be problematic. so I though I should stay with running a x64 operating System as I already have over 11GB of RAM, 2x TB Drives and a processor that is not supported on such older systems.

I currently use Windows 8.1 Core, but I was wondering if something like XP x64 or Server 2003 x64 was any more faster then what I am running. so I tested Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 in a Virtual machine, I noticed that the installation was very fast, and even logging on to the desktop was quick. though I remember when I used it years ago, I had some trouble with applications though I cannot remember what didn't work, anyway would this be a good idea or should I just forget it and stay with Microsoft Windows 8.1 Core.

Oh that sounds good Blackwingcat, I would love to update the copys I have of Windows 2000. also is there a link where I can download these updates, as it looks like there are many updates for Windows 2000, I would like to download them in one package.

Edited by Bakuchris

I have never had those problems with Win2K; perhaps you should start with a blank or wiped drive.

Do the build with the internet connection chopped off; turning power off things these daze does NOT turn things off!

Yes, Win2K has a 4GB limit, but that is for a running program (less a small space at the top end); you should find that the OS and most support programs/files will be "outside the box".

Be advised that if you manage to trick the system into writing a file larger than 4GB, that there will be troubles in River City (and then some).

Ok, thanks Robert. thats very helpful information you gave there. as I have alot of files that are pretty big on my hard disks, I've decided that I will emulate Microsoft Windows 2000 instead, though I probably won't use it alot, at least it will work with the Virtualbox or VMPlayer Drivers. I'm thinking I will just stay running Windows 8.1 Core or maybe trying out Windows Vista again, as I see there are alot of people here that actual use it. (though XP x64 is less of a bloat lol)

Edited by Bakuchris

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html

Hi, I released English version HFSlip Extended kernel Image Creator for Windows 2000 RC14.

* Includede by Apr 2014 Security update.

* Integrated IE6SP1 QFE update and OE6SP3 and DX9 extended package and WMP10.

* Integrated Recent Kernel core and Extended kernel (You can break limit 4G and more than 3cores/ It is game supported version extended kernel).

* Integrated AHCI for till Intel 8 chipset (you can use SATA3) and USB 3.0.

*.net framework 3.5 SP1 ready.

* resolved USB keyboard problems.

* Included XP compatible kit.

* You can use Firefox ESR, 24.4.0, thunderbird and lastest Flash Player 11.7.700.

at first please try to install to VMWare with your iso image.

* caution It require more than 4GB HDD for create , and more than 6GB HDD for Install.

Oh that sounds good Blackwingcat, I would love to update the copys I have of Windows 2000. also is there a link where I can download these updates, as it looks like there are many updates for Windows 2000, I would like to download them in one package.

Edited by blackwingcat

• 4 weeks later...

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html

Hi, I released English version HFSlip Extended kernel Image Creator for Windows 2000 RC14.

* Includede by Apr 2014 Security update.

* Integrated IE6SP1 QFE update and OE6SP3 and DX9 extended package and WMP10.

* Integrated Recent Kernel core and Extended kernel (You can break limit 4G and more than 3cores/ It is game supported version extended kernel).

* Integrated AHCI for till Intel 8 chipset  (you can use SATA3) and USB 3.0.

*.net framework 3.5 SP1 ready.

* resolved USB keyboard problems.

* Included XP compatible kit.

* You can use Firefox ESR,  24.4.0, thunderbird  and lastest Flash Player 11.7.700.

You can use more than 4GB memory?!

I just made an HFSLIP iso with blackwingcat RC14 (above), testing as a VirtualBox VM, but Setup hangs at "Starting Windows 2000".  I gave it 8GB memory, so I was really excited about that :)

edit: Also, "The file usbhub.sys is corrupted".

Edited by Phenomic