Let's see if I can sum up the experience till now, I miss bit and pieces of the procedure you followed.
1. You have a "main" (normally working) Windows, let's call it the "C:\Windows". The BOOTMGR and \boot\BCD reside in the "hidden" 100 Mb partition.
2. Then you have another instance of Windows, let's call it the "D:\Windows" on another partition, also working.
3. Somehow you must have added this "D:\Windows" booting option to the \boot\BCD to test that it works and boots.
4.Then you use Paragon *whatever* to "clone" (actually image) the D:\Windows install to a .vhd, let's call this "ParagonWindows.vhd".
5. Somehow you must have added this "ParagonWindows.vhd" booting option to the \boot\BCD to test that it works and boots.
6.Then you create with your own tools, with a procedure that you don't want to disclose, a new .vhd with EXACTLY the same contents (according to you) of BOTH the "D:\Windows" and of the "ParagonWindows.vhd", let's call this "MyOwnWindows.vhd".
7. Somehow you must have added this "MyOwnWindows.vhd" booting option to the \boot\BCD to test that it works BUT find out that it does not boot
I have more or less clear points 1.,2., 4. and 6. above (but feel free to correct those points also), I have NO idea of what you did in points 3., 5. and 7. (and not even if they exist at all or if the "vague" descripton I made is in any way accurate.
About DIsk Signature, you have right now the "ParagonWindows.vhd" working, try:
- AFTER having made a backup of it's MBR (first sector) hex edit it to change the Disk Signature in it to a "random" one
- Try booting from the "ParagonWindows.vhd"
- If it fails, try again after having completely cleared the MountedDevices in the Registry of the "ParagonWindows.vhd"
Try restoring the backed up MBR and repeat.
If you prefer try "negative" troubleshooting, i.e. instead of changing things (always one by one) to the .vhd that is not working, try changing things (still one at the time) to the .vhd that is working, until it fails to work, then last thing you changed will be the one that "s different " and probably causes the issue:
Edited by jaclaz, 25 April 2014 - 09:41 AM.