Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

"The update does not apply to your system" Server 2008 x86

The update does not apply to

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

Official User of Unofficial Updates

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I did have a look around about a month ago, and I liked the topics being discussed, so I thought that I would join and pose my own question.

I have a Windows Server 2008 x86 machine. Windows Server 2008 comes with the Remote Desktop Client ver. 6 by default, and so does Vista. Windows Vista was included in the release of the Remote Desktop Client ver. 7 back when it came out. KB article here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

However, Windows Server 2008 was not, which I believe is pretty typical of Windows Server. So, if you download the update for Vista and try to install it, it says: "The update does not apply to your system".

I would like to know if there is any way to 'force' (not sure if that's the word I want to use) the update to install, so I can use the newer version of the RDP client when I'm performing networked tasks.

I'm thinking maybe modifying the .msu update file in some way. Or using some command line black magic of some sort.

Update: Windows6.0-KB969084-x86.msu

Here's a shot of the error message I get:

MSTC_7_ERROR.png

- MrMaguire

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,129 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

the update is for Vista Sp1 and I think you use Server 2008 Sp2, so the update can't be installed.

Posted Image

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Hmm, I seem to remember installing this update in Windows Vista Business SP2 x86, and it worked just fine.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

Vista_SP2_MSTSC_7.png

Installed_Update.png

And just to clarify, I am using Server 2008 SP2 with all of the available updates.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

OT, but is his Profile picture even allowed :blink: . I mean his Profile picture is adolf hitler from south park.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,129 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I see no reason why the update doesn't install on a Server 2008. The update.mum doesn't include any Vista checks.

Posted Image

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

OT, but is his Profile picture even allowed :blink: . I mean his Profile picture is adolf hitler from south park.

Correct, it is a still from the South Park episode 'Pink Eye', from season one.

I have used this profile picture on other sites, and gotten barely any notice of it (one person quoted me a line from another episode). I don't know if it's against the forum rules to have a profile picture like this, because I didn't read them when I joined yesterday. But if it is, I'd be happy to swap it out for something a little more 'neutral' :).

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

I see no reason why the update doesn't install on a Server 2008. The update.mum doesn't include any Vista checks.

In that case, I'm wondering how exactly it determines that the OS isn't specifically Windows Vista. If you download the update for XP, and attempt to install it on Server 2003, you get a different, but similiar error. I have a Server 2003 ISO with integrated updates, and I'm pretty sure that it has this newer version of the RDP client. So, I'm thinking that there must be a difference in the way that updates are integrated into install media, and installed on a live system.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Welcome to MSFN!
Although it's really more-or-less gray area, since you're OK with changing it, I'd say "make it so"! :)
And, BTW, do read the Rules, it's also always a good idea. :yes:

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Welcome to MSFN!
Although it's really more-or-less gray area, since you're OK with changing it, I'd say "make it so"! :)
And, BTW, do read the Rules, it's also always a good idea. :yes:

Done :)

I hope you guys like Cadillacs :D

___

But seriously, I think I'm going to very much enjoy discussing topics related to Microsoft Windows :)

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 20-January 14

Done  :)

___

But seriously, I think I'm going to very much enjoy discussing topics related to Microsoft Windows :)

Welcome to MSFN  :thumbup,

P.S I love southpark.

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,027 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You rock! :thumbup

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

You rock! :thumbup

I try my best :)

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Done  :)

___

Welcome to MSFN  :thumbup,

P.S I love southpark.

Yeah, me too :)

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,129 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

ok, I tested it with a 2008 VM and I can't get it installed. WUSA and also pkgmgr fail to install the update.

Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I was able to find security updates for RDP7 client that lists Server 2008 SP2 as a compatible product, so there must be an update somewhere.
http://support.micro....com/kb/2813347
However, in the catalog, it does not appear to have one for 2008 SP2.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Interesting, on that support page, it does mention Windows Server 2008 SP2. But, in the 'applies to' section, Windows Server 2008 is not included at all. Despite literally every version of Vista being listed.

________

I did try both installing the update as it came from the download page, and extracting the files from the .msu file and using the 'pkmgr' to attempt to install the update from the command prompt. I got as far as extracting the files, and that was where things came to a halt.

________

It seems that version 7 of the Remote Desktop Client is not as well supported as version 6. Version 6 came with Vista/Server 2008, and an update was released for all of the Windows XP based operating systems, including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Not only that, but Microsoft actually offers it as an optional update through the typical Windows Update site, which they do not with version 7, even on the supported OS's. It seems that it's only available as an optional download from the KB article I linked in the first post.

Version 7 of the Remote Desktop Client seems to be supported on Windows XP x86, and that's about it, and Windows Vista x86/x64 is as far as the support goes in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, version 6 of the client seems to work fine, but I have become accustomed to the newer version, and with some things, newer is better. I just find the way that Microsoft has chosen to distribute this update interesting.

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

Okay, quick update on this: I extracted the .Cab file from  the update (Windows6.0KB969084-x86.msu). Using the command below:

expand -f:* "Windows6.0kb969084-x86.msu" C:\Temp

As per here: http://social.techne...-to-your-system

Then I attempted to install the extracted .cab file with the second command listed in that post, and didn't get very far. That was a week ago, fast forward to today, I came across another command that looked more promising.

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:C:\temp\windows6.0kb969084-x86.cab /s:C:\temp /l:C:\temp\install.log

As per here: http://www.wincert.n...ws-update-cabs/

That command gave much more promising results, the prompt returned to "C:\temp\>" and there was some hard drive activity. Then I decided to run "MSTC" from the run box to see if the update had applied. It didn't. So I rebooted in the hope that it would be applied then. No dice.

Then I turned to the 'install.log' file that had been generated by the package manager. And, I'm not sure if I'm reading it right (opening it via extension associated notepad), it just shows gibberish. You can make out "terminalservices-rdc7" in some parts of the text, but that's about it.

____

In case anybody feels like looking at the log file, I uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire...67p/install.log

Edited by MrMaguire, 05 May 2014 - 11:56 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,129 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

I also tried this and it failed for me, too.

Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I forgot to mention that the update I found, there is one available for Vista-based x64 OSes, which should work on 2008 SP2 x64 but not x86.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

I forgot to mention that the update I found, there is one available for Vista-based x64 OSes, which should work on 2008 SP2 x64 but not x86.

Could you maybe test that? I'd be grateful since it's kinda difficult for me to test 64 bit software with my current setup.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Could you maybe test that? I'd be grateful since it's kinda difficult for me to test 64 bit software with my current setup.

It does not work, but the stock install has RDC 6 on it.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

I thought we were on to something there.

Edited by MrMaguire, 07 May 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,972 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

It is likely that the update may require some version of RDC 7 to exist on the system already. I looked with ProcMon but couldn't find where the check failed. It was also not in the update logfiles that Procexp showed WUSA.exe to be writing to.
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,385 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

(sigh...) And I was thinking of putting Srv2K8 on a box in the near future...

(yes, I bumped to see if any results had been obtained).

edit - Here's an oddball. Seems like there's a HotFix that -may- cause a problem with installing RDC7.

This link obviously applys to XP (and 2K3, BTW) -

http://jaxelos.wordp...all-over-rdc-7/

It mentions the exact same Hotfix mentioned in the OP's link. I'm -really- unsure if Manually replacing files would work or not.

Edited by submix8c, 09 May 2014 - 11:24 AM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

MrMaguire

MrMaguire

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 30-April 14

In that case, I'm wondering how exactly it determines that the OS isn't specifically Windows Vista. If you download the update for XP, and attempt to install it on Server 2003, you get a different, but similiar error. I have a Server 2003 ISO with integrated updates, and I'm pretty sure that it has this newer version of the RDP client. So, I'm thinking that there must be a difference in the way that updates are integrated into install media, and installed on a live system.

Okay, so I checked. The integrated Server 2003 ISO doesn't come with RDC ver. 7 (like I thought), so I'm guessing that the update can't be integrated into the Server 2003 install media, just like it can't be installed on a live system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users