"The update does not apply to your system" Server 2008 x86

MrMaguire

Interesting, on that support page, it does mention Windows Server 2008 SP2. But, in the 'applies to' section, Windows Server 2008 is not included at all. Despite literally every version of Vista being listed.

________

I did try both installing the update as it came from the download page, and extracting the files from the .msu file and using the 'pkmgr' to attempt to install the update from the command prompt. I got as far as extracting the files, and that was where things came to a halt.

________

It seems that version 7 of the Remote Desktop Client is not as well supported as version 6. Version 6 came with Vista/Server 2008, and an update was released for all of the Windows XP based operating systems, including Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Not only that, but Microsoft actually offers it as an optional update through the typical Windows Update site, which they do not with version 7, even on the supported OS's. It seems that it's only available as an optional download from the KB article I linked in the first post.

Version 7 of the Remote Desktop Client seems to be supported on Windows XP x86, and that's about it, and Windows Vista x86/x64 is as far as the support goes in that direction.

Don't get me wrong, version 6 of the client seems to work fine, but I have become accustomed to the newer version, and with some things, newer is better. I just find the way that Microsoft has chosen to distribute this update interesting.

Okay, quick update on this: I extracted the .Cab file from  the update (Windows6.0KB969084-x86.msu). Using the command below:

expand -f:* "Windows6.0kb969084-x86.msu" C:\Temp

As per here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/windows/en-US/14415ef8-9c7f-4750-b166-afbb8c5c2fe0/the-update-does-not-apply-to-your-system

Then I attempted to install the extracted .cab file with the second command listed in that post, and didn't get very far. That was a week ago, fast forward to today, I came across another command that looked more promising.

start /w pkgmgr /ip /m:C:\temp\windows6.0kb969084-x86.cab /s:C:\temp /l:C:\temp\install.log

As per here: http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/1605-installing-windows-update-cabs/

That command gave much more promising results, the prompt returned to "C:\temp\>" and there was some hard drive activity. Then I decided to run "MSTC" from the run box to see if the update had applied. It didn't. So I rebooted in the hope that it would be applied then. No dice.

Then I turned to the 'install.log' file that had been generated by the package manager. And, I'm not sure if I'm reading it right (opening it via extension associated notepad), it just shows gibberish. You can make out "terminalservices-rdc7" in some parts of the text, but that's about it.

____

In case anybody feels like looking at the log file, I uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/tyk9456afybz67p/install.log

Edited by MrMaguire

I forgot to mention that the update I found, there is one available for Vista-based x64 OSes, which should work on 2008 SP2 x64 but not x86.

Could you maybe test that? I'd be grateful since it's kinda difficult for me to test 64 bit software with my current setup.

I forgot to mention that the update I found, there is one available for Vista-based x64 OSes, which should work on 2008 SP2 x64 but not x86.

Could you maybe test that? I'd be grateful since it's kinda difficult for me to test 64 bit software with my current setup.

It does not work, but the stock install has RDC 6 on it.

It is likely that the update may require some version of RDC 7 to exist on the system already. I looked with ProcMon but couldn't find where the check failed. It was also not in the update logfiles that Procexp showed WUSA.exe to be writing to.

(sigh...) And I was thinking of putting Srv2K8 on a box in the near future...

(yes, I bumped to see if any results had been obtained).

edit - Here's an oddball. Seems like there's a HotFix that -may- cause a problem with installing RDC7.

This link obviously applys to XP (and 2K3, BTW) -

http://jaxelos.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/force-rdc-6-install-force-kb952155-install-rdc-6-1-install-over-rdc-7/

It mentions the exact same Hotfix mentioned in the OP's link. I'm -really- unsure if Manually replacing files would work or not.

Edited by submix8c

I see no reason why the update doesn't install on a Server 2008. The update.mum doesn't include any Vista checks.

In that case, I'm wondering how exactly it determines that the OS isn't specifically Windows Vista. If you download the update for XP, and attempt to install it on Server 2003, you get a different, but similiar error. I have a Server 2003 ISO with integrated updates, and I'm pretty sure that it has this newer version of the RDP client. So, I'm thinking that there must be a difference in the way that updates are integrated into install media, and installed on a live system.

Okay, so I checked. The integrated Server 2003 ISO doesn't come with RDC ver. 7 (like I thought), so I'm guessing that the update can't be integrated into the Server 2003 install media, just like it can't be installed on a live system.

From the Wikipedia linked:

RDP 6.1 client and RDP 7.0 client are not supported on Windows Server 2003 x86 and Windows Server 2003 / Windows XP Professional x64 editions.

So apparently, RDC 6.1 isn't supported on these OS's either.

You'll be interested to know that I just "swapped" some files (after backup, of course ;) ) from RDP 5.2 (2K3-x86-SP2 test bed) to RDP 7.0 (KB969804 for XP) and it works just fine. :yes:

edit - be aware you WILL lose some fields in it when expanding Options (e.g. Domain Name).

Edited by submix8c

Sure!

1 - Extract the WindowsXP-KB969084-x86-enu.exe to "somewhere"

2 - In the SP3GDR folder are all the files - create an "en-us" sub-folder

3 - MOVE the "*.mui" files to it

You can actually run "mstsc.exe" from there. Normally, the files would be placed into "Windows\System32" folder note that the "en-us" is a sub-folder within the System32 folder. If you so choose to actualy overlay the Originals, I would recommend backing up the original files. Note that some of the filenames in the KB are not in the original Win2k3 (or XP) folders.

I haven't even TRIED the Vista/7/(Server2k8) ones yet since I'm not really sure how -or- if it would even work (probably not). Again, bear in mind that it "seems" pointless (or maybe not?). Also note that the DLLCACHE folder still has the the Original files in it - and I haven't tested the Connection yet (been busy otherwise). Finally, using SFC would (probably) revert you.

HTH

DISCLAIMER! it's up to you to "fiddle" with and I take no responsibility for the consequences.

EDIT! And here is the "solution" to the missing Domain/Password fields -

http://superuser.com/questions/659869/where-do-i-enter-domain-in-remote-desktop-from-windows-xp

Edited by submix8c