Prepare and Slipstream Updates In to a Windows 8.1 .wim or .esd Image

Hello everyone,

I updated my guide to include post Update1 patches. Please listen to my instructions up until update2 comes out (Supposedly next month). I will update my instructions then to include update2. Just an FYI, whatever the Windows Update downloader doesn't include, you should download the "Patch Tuesday" updates from Microsoft. It comes in an ISO file and you have to pull out all 8.1 updates. Also in Windows updates downloader you should download both pre update1 and the one with update1. Also install then separately.

What do you recommend with NET Framework 3.5 when slipstreaming to image file? Currently I am just installing Netfx35 from setupcomplete but the slipstream method may be a better option.

~DP

Hello everyone,

I updated my guide to include post Update1 patches. Please listen to my instructions up until update2 comes out (Supposedly next month). I will update my instructions then to include update2. Just an FYI, whatever the Windows Update downloader doesn't include, you should download the "Patch Tuesday" updates from Microsoft. It comes in an ISO file and you have to pull out all 8.1 updates. Also in Windows updates downloader you should download both pre update1 and the one with update1. Also install then separately.

What do you recommend with NET Framework 3.5 when slipstreaming to image file? Currently I am just installing Netfx35 from setupcomplete but the slipstream method may be a better option.

~DP

Hello everyone,

It didn't seem to install when I added it from the Windows updates downloader. I have programs that need it, so I ended up installing after I installed the new Windows image I made.

Edited by JesseGuthrie

Ok, for those of you that want to intergrate the Net 3.5 feature to your image file instead of having to install it
everytime after every clean install of 8.1 you can use the following automated batch script.

~DP :sneaky:

1) Download and Install ADK file "adksetup_8.1.exe" for 8.1 x64 from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982
 2) Then create folder in "C:\ISO"
 3) Create a 2 subfolders in "C:\ISO" called "sxs" and another subfolder called "Mount"
 4) Extract the Netfx35 sxs contents from your dvd sources sxs to "C:\ISO\sxs"
 5) Now Copy your "Install.Wim" file and the "Netfx35.cmd" also into "C:\ISO"
 6) Now run the below Netfx35.cmd script (runas administrator)

@echo off@setlocal enableextensions:: Slipstream ".NET Framework 3.5 " features to your 8.1 x64 Install.wim Image File.CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools:: Mount ImageDISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ISO\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\ISO\Mount:: Enable featureDISM /Image:C:\ISO\Mount /Enable-Feature /Featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:C:\ISO\sxs:: Unmount ImageDISM /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:C:\ISO\Mount /Commitclsecho ==================================echo === End of NetFx35 integration ===echo ==================================echo.pause 
Edited by DosProbie

Ok, for those of you that want to intergrate the Net 3.5 feature to your image file instead of having to install it

everytime after every clean install of 8.1 you can use the following automated batch script.

~DP :sneaky:

1) Download and Install ADK file "adksetup_8.1.exe" for 8.1 x64 from: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

2) Then create folder in "C:\ISO"

3) Create a 2 subfolders in "C:\ISO" called "sxs" and another subfolder called "Mount"

4) Extract the Netfx35 sxs contents from your dvd sources sxs to "C:\ISO\sxs"

5) Now Copy your "Install.Wim" file and the "Netfx35.cmd" also into "C:\ISO"

6) Now run the below Netfx35.cmd script (runas administrator)

@echo off@setlocal enableextensions:: Slipstream ".NET Framework 3.5 " features to your 8.1 x64 Install.wim Image File.CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Deployment Tools:: Mount ImageDISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ISO\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\ISO\Mount:: Enable featureDISM /Image:C:\ISO\Mount /Enable-Feature /Featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:C:\ISO\sxs:: Unmount ImageDISM /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:C:\ISO\Mount /Commitclsecho ==================================echo === End of NetFx35 integration ===echo ==================================echo.pause 

Thanks for the DISM command. :-)

Thanks, Maverick and Jessie..

FYI,  I have run it both ways with and without using the Assessment and Deployment kit and works either way.

and you could also just enable your sxs off your dvd but I find that I get a lot faster install and less errors when reading off the hd.

~DP :thumbup

• 7 months later...

Thanks, Maverick and Jessie..

FYI,  I have run it both ways with and without using the Assessment and Deployment kit and works either way.

and you could also just enable your sxs off your dvd but I find that I get a lot faster install and less errors when reading off the hd.

~DP :thumbup

The netfx35.cmd does not work at all.

• 2 months later...