DRVIDX/DRVDATA format documentation

oerg866

That is good news! It's been a long weekend…  :whistle:

However, how thoroughly have you tested the impact of replacing those libraries on the whole system? There is always a possibility that older applications/installers may not behave correctly if the new libraries contain more than bugfixes.

My commctrl.dll is v4.10.1998 while setupx.dll is v4.10.2222.

DRVIDX.BIN is only 1,320,970 bytes and this system is 9 (nine) years old.

DRVDATA.BIN is 387,034 bytes.

Both the above go hand in hand (wasn't it a much larger discussion on this?)

Anyway, thanks for working on this and finding a fix. :)

So far no issues, but it will of course be put through extended testing through my integrated ISO which I unfortunately can only share privately to avoid breaking forum rules / legal issues.

On a sidenote I noticed too that the stock COMMCTRL version is 4.10.1998. Maybe they forgot to include the new one when releasing 98SE? :P

Edited by oerg866

I currently have one spare 98SE system but it's acting as storage target for web downloads (all my other HDDs are full up to the brim) and can't play much with it. But for some limited testing I guess I could bite the bullet. System HDD is an ancient 1.2GB Quantum and I shouldn't upset it too much. :)

As for file versions they probably followed the golden rule "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" and just ported it over from 98Gold. Only that it kinda was broken but they didn't envision such heavy usage at the time. ;)

Did you remember to take the POST-INSTALL commctrl.dll? ;) You can see it via the size difference (~45kb vs. ~160kb)

It's in PRECOPY1.CAB as kommctrl.dll (copy & rename)

Edited by oerg866

Hello PROBLEMCHYLD

SetupX.DLL must be reverted to Win98SE version. Hardware detection fails to properly install system components (yellow exclamation marks, "BIOS did not declare resources properly") with the new one. 

It turned out that only the updated COMMCTRL.DLL was needed to fix the large driver DB problem, so it's not really a loss.

Hello PROBLEMCHYLD

SetupX.DLL must be reverted to Win98SE version. Hardware detection fails to properly install system components (yellow exclamation marks, "BIOS did not declare resources properly") with the new one. 

It turned out that only the updated COMMCTRL.DLL was needed to fix the large driver DB problem, so it's not really a loss.

Both files work on my system. I can't reproduce your error. What system components did you try to install?

No I mean hardware components. If you do full hardware redetection (like 2nd setup stage does) or single device redetection, some system devices will not be recognized properly. 

It might be reproduceable by deleting the PS/2 mouse or Floppy disk controller devices from device manager and rebooting.

With old SETUPX.DLL those will be reinstalled normally, with the new one there will be yellow exclamation marks all over the place ;)

Cheers!

Edited by oerg866

• 2 weeks later...