POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I just discovered that the search function in Windows Explorer is broken. The little animated search dog appears, but the area above him is completely grey. I am wondering if one of the recent POSReady updates is responsible. Has anyone else encountered this problem recently?

Phil

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

It's still working fine for me, although I had that dog put down years ago!

Do you have Windows (Desktop) Search 4.0 installed?

:)

3 hours ago, pcalvert said:

I just discovered that the search function in Windows Explorer is broken. The little animated search dog appears, but the area above him is completely grey. I am wondering if one of the recent POSReady updates is responsible. Has anyone else encountered this problem recently?

Phil

I echo Dave-H's response....everything here working fine and I have all the updates installed.  Windows XP SP3 with POSReady 2009 updates.  I too put the dog down long long ago.

On 3/24/2016 at 8:24 AM, Dave-H said:

Do you have Windows (Desktop) Search 4.0 installed?

Hi Dave,

Well, I did have it briefly installed at one point, but it annoyed me so I removed it. I am going to try switching to Classic Search and see if that works. If so, I'll probably stick with that.

Thanks for the feedback (you too, Dclem).

UPDATE: Switching to Classic Search worked. I used this method to make the switch:

Restore Classic Search in Windows XP

Phil

Edited by pcalvert
To add info on how I fixed the problem.

15 hours ago, pcalvert said:

Phil

I have the older version of search installed, plus all of the latest updates, and I don't have the same problem.

Gang, esp dencorso -- I have all the MS Update updates for my XP, but are my .NET updates lagging behind?

Just ran Belarc Advisor, and my last updates for four types of .NET are dated 12/14/15 and for another type 10/8/2013.

Dencorso, old guru, is this because hmueller's manual list needs new entries?  We're relying on you to lead us out of the mist, old paint.  (If I tried to do it, the only good result would be a discount coupon to Benny's Car Wash on 11th Avenue.)  And apologies if you've already updated - can you point me to the right page?

For   .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2,   .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2,    .NET Framework 4 Client Profile   and   .NET Framework 4 Extended,   the last updates are dated 12/14/15.

For .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, the last update is dated 10/8/2013.

Keep in mind that these five categories are the captions as they appear in Belarc Advisor's hotfixes installed page. 

Many thanks to all.  See you at Benny's.

I am confused about the dating here, are we in 2014 or 2016?

Anyway, I installed the TweakUI and now I can't get musicmatch started. MM is one of the reasons why I stick to XP.

I think I will reinstall XP and limit my tinkering to implementing the POS update trick.

I'll se if I can uninstall TweakUI first.

I don't want to fool around with SP4 or anything else.

I removed TweakUI, reset computer, and musicmatch is okay again.

(Would a reset after installing TweakUI before trying to start MM have given a different outcome?)

Something new I now find is that after posting a reply, the thread jumps up and down on the screen. No big deal, but I don't like it!

Edited by Roffen

@glnz

Hello, does not look good on future updates for the .NET Framework!
For Info this Post:

For more information see the following links:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search?sort=pn&alpha=.net%20framework
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle#gp/Framework_FAQ

Spoiler

In March 2010, Microsoft announced that beginning with .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1), the .NET Framework is defined as a component instead of an independent product. As a component, .NET Framework version 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later assumes the same Support Lifecycle policy as its underlying Windows operating system.

On August 7, 2014, Microsoft announced that support will end for .NET Framework 4, 4.5, and 4.5.1 on January 12, 2016. Customers and developers need to have completed the in-place update to .NET Framework 4.5.2 by January 12, 2016 to continue receiving technical support and security updates. Support for .NET Framework 4.5.2, as well as all other .NET Framework versions such as 3.5 SP1, will continue to be supported for the duration of the operating system support lifecycle. 

:)

Edited by heinoganda

heinoganda - thanks for very helpful post!

When I compare your link's "List of .NET Framework updates for Windows XP after April 2014 here" to Belarc Advisor, I see that I am missing everything you list for .NET Framework 3.5 sp1.

1) Can I simply download from your list and run, or must I alter the downloaded files first?

2) After I update my .NET 3.5 with your downloads, am I vulnerable to security breaches because MS is no longer updating any of my .NETs?  Does this mean I must finally move away from XP?

Just a few weeks ago, I saw a true XP POS terminal in a hardware store.  Is MS not updating .NET for those machines?

Danke.

@RoffEn

This depends on your software.

Personally I need 3.5

@glnz

No you are not vulnerable as all webpos & posready2009 pc still need those , they not found any vulnerability so they not provided.

If you serious about secuirity then only use your  pc without java and flash.

Nobody is going to hack any home user unless you are people having billions of dollar in simple billioner.

Try using good secuirity solution like Esed , quickheal or bitdefender