POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Yes I got mine eventually, ten updates in my case (three for Office).
Both my XP machines took a huge amount of time scanning for updates, much longer than they normally do, but all installed OK eventually.
:yes:

2 hours ago, glnz said:

SD73 - Eleven?  I'm envious.  What is the 11th?

I THOUGHT I counted eleven, but I may have miscounted.  Dave is probably right.  Is there a way to retroactively see what was just installed?  

The following updates are available for XP:

KB3192321 for Timezone
Info: Already appeared on 10/17/2016, was available from 11/08/2016 as a critical update and was endowed by Publication date on 11/07/2016.
KB3194371
KB3196718
KB3197835 for IIS (Internet Information Services for Webserver-, FTP-, E-Mail-, WebDAV- and Index-Service.)
Info: This component is installed and executed by POSReady 2009 by default, whereas in Windows XP Professional it is installed later and thus the update is available only with WU/MU if this component is present.)
KB3198218
KB3198234
KB3198510
KB3203859
KB3197655 for IE-Explorer 8

The security update for the .NET Framework 3.0 for WES09 and POSReady (KB3188734) in the Microsoft Update Catalog was also changed to the release date of 11/07/2016, although there were no changes to the patch. (The October Update at once in November. :no:)

Then I noticed in the Downloadcenter an update for Microsoft Visual C ++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3, which contains an update for Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 Redistributable behind it. I could not find any information.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

11 hours ago, SD73 said:

I THOUGHT I counted eleven, but I may have miscounted.  Dave is probably right.  Is there a way to retroactively see what was just installed?

If you load the Windows/Microsoft Update page in IE8, on the left is a "Review your update history" link to view the installed updates.
They're also recorded in the Windows Event Viewer System log, although there is more than one entry for each one there.
From heinoganda's list, for me KB3192321 was already installed earlier, and KB3197835 was not installed as I don't have IIS running.
That leaves seven, plus three for Office.
:)

Edited by Dave-H

Thanks for the tip, Dave!  I checked the website and it gave me an error saying "The Website Encountered a Problem and Could Not Display the Page I am trying to Review."  The rest of the Microsfost Update page displays fine.  I just ASSumed it was because we're running the POS stuff.  Looking at the Event Log was kind of confusing so I gave up on that pretty quick.  I'll just leave it as a mis-count until the next go around when I count using both my fingers AND my toes!  Thanks again!

14 updates (Office 2007 included) on my PC. Geez, how long it took. For the first time, I left my PC on for an hour, and it didn't find any patch. For the second time, I've disabled MBAE and AVAST and left PC for 3 hours - still looking for updates while found. For the 3rd time, I've disabled every Security program form autostart rebooted, and then got WU to run. I was prepared to wait whole night long, fortunately, I've been provided with updates list after tree and half hours!

Not enough of problems with WU. I'm constantly tempted to download KB 2617986 - Silverlight installer from 2012! It happens both on XP and Win 7. I've hidden every possible Silverlight on both with WU.

These are the 10 updates I've mentioned in my previous post:

Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3197655-IE8) - the usual bunch of IE8 files
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3198234) - win32k.sys
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3198510) - lsasrv.dll; msv1_0.dll
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3203859) - atmfd.dll
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3194371) - mrxsmb.sys
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3196718) - asycfilt.dll; oleaut32.dll; olepro32.dll
Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3198218) - msvidctl.dll
Security Update for MS Office 2007 suites (KB3118396) - mso.dll
Security Update for MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 (KB3127889) - excelcnv.exe
Security Update for MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 (KB3127948) - wordcnv.dll

They're the same heinoganda listed, except for

KB3192321 for Timezone, which my machines already had gotten
KB3197835 for IIS, which my machines don't need

1 hour ago, Mcinwwl said:

14 updates (Office 2007 included) on my PC. Geez, how long it took. For the first time, I left my PC on for an hour, and it didn't find any patch. For the second time, I've disabled MBAE and AVAST and left PC for 3 hours - still looking for updates while found. For the 3rd time, I've disabled every Security program form autostart rebooted, and then got WU to run. I was prepared to wait whole night long, fortunately, I've been provided with updates list after tree and half hours!

Not enough of problems with WU. I'm constantly tempted to download KB 2617986 - Silverlight installer from 2012! It happens both on XP and Win 7. I've hidden every possible Silverlight on both with WU.

It was pretty slow on both my XP installations, but not that bad!
:o

XP fans - little by little the usability of my trusty XP Optiplex 755 is whittled away.  The most recent loss was the free 5GB of Cubby, which I used both (a) to back up and (b) to sync across some different PCs a bunch of small business files.  In turn, Cubby had replaced the free 5GB of SugarSync.  Both gone.

So, what should I use for free that will both back up designated folders AND sync them across a bunch of different PCs, starting with folders on my XP but syncing them with the same folders on a few Win 7s?

The nice thing about Cubby and (before that) SugarSync was that all I needed to do was right-click the folder (wherever it is) and designate it to start backing up/syncing in the program.  No need to move the folder into a fake "drive".

And even in a fake "drive" like OneDrive, it just won't run on XP.

I know this is off-topic a bit, so please just point me in right direction.  Or soon these machines will just be attractive table ornaments.  Thanks.

Edited by glnz

• 2 weeks later...
On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Mcinwwl said:

Sounds like the same WU screw-up that bedeviled Win 7/8/8.1 users for several recent months.

On Monday, November 14, 2016 at 4:39 PM, dencorso said:

These are the 10 updates I've mentioned in my previous post:

Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3197655-IE8) - the usual bunch of IE8 files

BTW, the IE8 update (and probably earlier versions) fix a couple of issues most of the Internet says "cannot" be fixed on IE8 on XP:

• Closes FREAK vulnerability
  • Adds AES support to IE8 (AES was added to schannel.dll many updates ago, but IE8 wouldn't use it)

Still haven't figured out a way to enable TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2, though.

Of course IE8 is pretty ancient compared to other XP compatible browsers, but at least if you do use it at a secure website, the security will be less likely to be compromised.

One more thing. If you use IE8 with secure websites, you should probably consider disabling the old RC2 and RC4 cipher and MD5 hash algorithms. I've attached a .reg file to do that.

Disable insecure algorithms.reg

Edited by Mathwiz
Add even more info to post