POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

I got 13 updates this time around.  I only have Office 2003 and no 2007 products so I'm hoping that accounts for the missing 3.  Instead of downloading the updates manually, I decided to see what my computer picked up on it's own.  The last time I downloaded to a USB, I had a horrendous time getting a corruption problem straightened out, that heignoganda finally helped me correct.  In any case, I let my computer run overnight and I also initiated the updates through the IE web browser.  The browser was still searching for them in the morning, but the Update Shield had them ready for install.   The install went smooth, so all is good!

20 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Regarding EsteemAudit, MS has released a security update (KB4022747, gpkcsp.dll) for the corresponding SmartCard component!

38 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Finally, they made it available for our good old systems. :D I had to undo some custom changes I've did to mitigate this vulnerability. :)

Anyway, at my place standard problems with this batch of updates, high CPU usage, and .NET Framework 4 update long installation, but eventually it all came through.

EDIT: It's a funny way they put it: "to protect against potential nation-state activity". (NSA) :D

Edited by niko32

MS seems to be offering MANY updates for XP.   See the three "older platform" tables at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025687/microsoft-security-advisory-4025685-guidance-for-older-platforms 

Are Bersaglio's list (five posts above this) and MS's three tables the same?

If not, then, after installing Bersaglio's list (directly or through the yellow shield), should we also be downloading and installing from those three MS tables?

Or have our POS updates already picked up most of those three MS tables?

Thanks.

Edited by glnz

Bersaglio listed the updates just released yesterday. Most of the updates in Microsoft's tables have been available for some time.

KB958644 & KB2347290 were made available back when XP was still supported.

KB4012598 and KB4012583 were made available to POSReady '09 systems in March. KB4012598 was made available to "plain" XP after the WannaCry[pt] attack, and KB4012583 was just recently made available to plain XP users.

KB4018466 & KB4019204 were made available to POSReady '09 in May.

KB4022747, KB4025218, KB4024402 & KB4022343 were part of yesterday's updates.

That leaves KB3197835, which is the only one I don't have. It's a new update this month, but I think it only applies if you're running Microsoft's IIS Web server.

1 hour ago, Mathwiz said:

That leaves KB3197835, which is the only one I don't have. It's a new update this month, but I think it only applies if you're running Microsoft's IIS Web server.

Correctly.

@glnz

Regarding the security updates that MS officially offers for Windows XP sp3 for download are not needed when POSReady updates are installed!

For those who do not install POSReady updates:

Have a comment added with the available updates for Windows XP sp3.

:)

42 minutes ago, glnz said:

As noted by all, even an update to Office 2003!  I feel young again!!

Two updates for Office 2003. Do not miss KB3203427, it is a critical security update for usp10.dll library (Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Office11). :yes:

After starting one of my old systems this morning I noticed the CPU usage is 100% because of windows updates eating all my CPU! I disabled automatic updates and tried manual updates but the result is the same: 100% CPU usage and it is still searching for updates! Any ideas how to fix this? This behavior also manifests itself in the second XP computer and another one with windows 2000!

1 hour ago, ND22 said:

After starting one of my old systems this morning I noticed the CPU usage is 100% because of windows updates eating all my CPU! I disabled automatic updates and tried manual updates but the result is the same: 100% CPU usage and it is still searching for updates! Any ideas how to fix this? This behavior also manifests itself in the second XP computer and another one with windows 2000!

This is absolutely normal behavior nowadays. Before searching for updates:

1. If You have Office 2003 download and install manually KB3203427 and KB3203484 (see my list earlier in this topic).

2. Same for Office 2007 compatibility pack: You should install KB3127894, KB3191828, KB3203436 and KB3203438.

3. And finally, if You have IE8, You should install KB4021558.

After that, restart Your system and perform search for updates again. The list should appear after a few minutes.

Someone said that support for the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack finally ends in October.
I hope after that this nonsense will stop and normal Windows/Microsoft Update patching will resume again!
:yes:

Hi, after updating firefox from 45.9 ESR to 52.2 ESR on my old Pentium M laptop with Windows XP,

browsing the web is very slow cause the cpu reach 100% a lot. Anybody noticed that?

Firefox 52 ESR may be the last version with XP support. Before they drop xp support I used Palemoon, cause it was lighter than firefox,

and before that Opera 12, even more lighter. Maybe it's time to go back to IE8?

58 minutes ago, liamZ said:

Hi, after updating firefox from 45.9 ESR to 52.2 ESR on my old Pentium M laptop with Windows XP,

browsing the web is very slow cause the cpu reach 100% a lot. Anybody noticed that?

It looks like You have some incompatible addon/extension in Your Firefox. Such behavior is typical for AdBlock Plus/uBlock Origin for example. Try disabling addons/extensions one-by-one and You'll eventually find the culprit. By the way, the latest working release of AdBlock Plus, compatible with Windows XP and Firefox 52.2.0 ESR is 2.8.2.