POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Bersaglio - thanks again.  Turns out KB3203427 was already installed; it just wasn't showing in my history list in Microsoft Updates.  (But it does show in Belarc Advisor.)  And my USP10.dll is version 1.626.6002.24099 with file date May 5, 2017.

And your other must-haves on bottom of page 99 are also installed.

Always happy to be safe (with the doors locked).

EDIT - but it turns out that KB3203427 was NOT on my wife's two small office PCs, which (thanks to my cheapness) are still running Office 2003 even though they are Win 7 Pro 64-bit.  So I installed it manually on both from your links on page 99.  (I bought her two PCs used - old Optiplex 780s - with used beat-up screens too.  Makes me proud.)
So much for Office 2003 getting any emergency updates automatically.  If MS provides a late-day urgent update for Office 2003, why doesn't it show up automatically?  Do MS's in-house lawyers say they should provide an emergency update for XP nuts like us but not Win 7 people?  How do non-nuts keep safe?

Edited by glnz

4 hours ago, Bersaglio said:

Please read my last post on page 99. If You have IE8 installed You should manually install update for it before performing updates scan. Moreover if You have Office 2003/Office 2007/Office 2007 compatibility pack/Office 2010 then all updates for these products should also be installed before performing updates scan. And, finally, You should have only POSReady hack in Your registry (XP Embedded, WEPOS or WES hacks should be removed, if present).

Thanks, Bersaglio.

I just turned on my Windows XP laptop and was very surprised to find that the Install Shield was notifying me of almost 80 updates! :o

Only then did I read your reply. I have Office 2003 installed and one of the two Office updates you mentioned was installed a few days ago. I have just installed the other (KB3203427), or at least I think it's installed. I have also just manually installed the IE8 update (KB4021558).

I am now going to start downloading some of the updates. What about Microsoft .Net versions? I seem to have versions 2.0 (SP2), 3.0 (SP2) and 3.5 (SP1) already installed. Should I download 4.0 and do the earlier versions still remain on the system? Bear in mind that this laptop is 13 years old, with a 2.4GHz processor and only 992Mb of RAM.

conductor71 - please time this.  I wonder how long it will take your laptop (obviously meant for Win 2000) to ingest all 80.  It's my kind of thing.  My wife says I could be a PC repairman if I did only Windows 98.

18 hours ago, glnz said:

conductor71 - please time this.  I wonder how long it will take your laptop (obviously meant for Win 2000) to ingest all 80.  It's my kind of thing.  My wife says I could be a PC repairman if I did only Windows 98.

Sorry glnz but I didn't get to time the process properly. I started downloading just after midnight. That was the easy bit. However the installation took so long that I just left it and went to bed. When I got up early morning, the laptop appeared to have gone into hibernation so I woke it up and it continued installing. Then late morning I realised I still had some more downloads to do (I had initially unticked some of them due to worries about exceeding my data usage limit). To cut a long story short, I had successfully installed about 79 updates by just after lunch - probably 12 to 14 hours in total. It could possibly have been done a lot quicker had I checked the laptop's power settings.

By the way, it is an ancient 2004 laptop by the now defunct Time (UK) with model number 755S14, made in China. No working battery, USB ports no longer functioning and every time you reconnect the power after having unplugged it, you have to press F1 and re-enter the date and time afresh otherwise it won't start up! It originally belonged to my late brother in law and his family. Heaven knows why I have continued updating it all these years!

AHH! me I donot know how much time it took for me . I have kept all my pc on update at night then went to bed . When i woke up everything is installed . It seems i have completed  update marathon . isnt it?

At my place it took half an hour, which is not that bad for my 9 years old core 2 duo laptop. :)

I've got all updates except kb4025398, strange. Now I'm not sure should I install it manually or i don't need it at all? :unsure:

KB4025398 is MSInfo.EXE v. 5.1.2600.7292... adding it, even if your machine doesn't have it, should cause no harm, much less updating it. It's default location is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo and the reason for issuing the update is CVE-2017-8557.

Thanks for the info, I had no time then to look it up.

Many years ago I've used nLite to customize and remove many to me unnecessary and some security risk components from xp sp3 cd. Apparently, MSInfo was one of those components. :) So besides I don't need it, I lack some files and services to even run it.