POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

den and Dave-H - Thanks.  Following in Dave-H's footsteps,  I "installed" this certificate from the Network Solutions email.  They're not the greatest ISP, and I don't necessarily trust their own security, but we have been customers of theirs for maybe ten years now, so ...

Seem that in both cases the *.  data is for a dns provider.  Wonder what that means.

Edited by glnz

Update - despite the "install" of the certificate, I continue to get the security warning when I click on the email in OE6.

So I guess we really are falling behind after all.

Edited by glnz

I have a Windows XP Pro system that I applied the POSReady reg tweak to that has a problem -- security updates aren't being offered anymore. The system got crapped-up due to the testing of a lot of security software, so I restored from a backup that was made in December 2015.

These are the most recent (latest) updates that were installed:

ie8-windowsxp-kb3134814-x86-embedded-enu_10f3fd3d69bc17467abeb7125240a9cd1247b168.exe

windowsxp-kb3126593-x86-embedded-enu_28707de25730ebbb4d0e5f02d156dff431bc6e6d.exe

Those are both from February 2016.

I'm no longer being offered newer security updates; I'm only being offered a few optional "updates" (like Skype) that I declined in the past. What do I need to do to fix this?

Similar problem here with my aunt's laptop. :unsure: Around February 2016, I've applied POSReady hack to that computer and installed all security updates that were available for POSReady. Now that I'm servicing her laptop, problem has appeared.

Now, first thing I've done is removing WEP and WEPOS registry entries as I successfully did long ago with my laptop. I removed those registry entries, but here that didn't work at all, still no POSReady updates.

I have tried to remove SoftwareDistribution folder and get it back, nothing works, Windows update, Microsoft Update all the same, just optional Windows XP updates are are offered, same as with pcalvert. Any ideas, guys? Thanks

Edited by niko32

@pcalvert @niko32

First, disable automatic updates (make a reboot if high processor load of the svchost.exe process in the task manager), then manually install the most recent cumulative update for Internet Explorer 8 KB4025252. Furthermore, Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3) should be installed. Now a new search in IE8 at WU / MU.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

9 hours ago, heinoganda said:

@pcalvert @niko32

First, disable automatic updates (make a reboot if high processor load of the svchost.exe process in the task manager), then manually install the most recent cumulative update for Internet Explorer 8 KB4025252. Furthermore, Windows Installer 4.5 (KB942288-v3) should be installed. Now a new search in IE8 at WU / MU.

I've had no time to check it earlier, and sorry I was a little vague.

Last updates to that windows XP sp3 are from February 2016: KB3134814 for IE8 and KB3126593 as in pcalvert's case. And system is not able to receive any later POSReady update. Windows Update and Microsoft Update for some reason obviously consider it as XP sp3 instead POSReady, despite the POSReady registry entry.

I have installed both updates you have suggested (KB4025252 and KB942288-v3) to no avail. Now I really have no idea what to try next.

Edited by niko32

Have you checked the registry to be sure that the key "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]" still has the value "Installed"=dword:00000001 and that the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded" does not exist?  Correct that if necessary and try to search WU/MU again and see if it made a difference.

Cheers and Regards

That's what happens when you don't read enough, thinking you already know everything. :D I've completely forgot that "WindowsEmbedded" registry key was not at the same place as WEP and WEPOS registry keys. Everything's fine now, POSReady updates showed up almost instantly.

Thanks bphlpt, and heinoganda :)

Edited by niko32

I checked and found that I already had Windows Installer 4.5 installed, but due to some strange behavior I investigated further and saw that the version I have is 4.5.6002.23731, which is for Windows Vista and not Windows XP. I'm not sure how that got on there, but I am fairly certain that I didn't install it, so my guess is that it was downloaded and installed by some software.

I'd like to roll back Windows Installer to the previous version so I can install the correct Windows XP version of Windows Installer 4.5, but I am not even sure that it is possible. And if it is possible, I don't know how to accomplish that. Can it be done?

Edited by pcalvert

@pcalvert

Please check the version of the file msimsg.dll or msisip.dll under "%windir%\system32", if MSI Installer v4.5 is installed it should match 4.5.6001.22159 . Among the file properties is sometimes this entry "(vistasp2_ldr.150618-0601)", which is completely correct, because MSI 4.5 of Windows Vista also for older Windows versions was provided.

Otherwise check again the registry entry for POSReady.

11 hours ago, bphlpt said:

Have you checked the registry to be sure that the key "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]" still has the value "Installed"=dword:00000001 and that the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded" does not exist?

@Roffen - Check on the internet if your Motehrboard's built-in audio card has drivers for XP. If the MoBo model is new, it's rather unlikely.

And, my personal humble request - start new topic for requests like this one, and keep this topic related to POSReady update issues :>

On 9/9/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mcinwwl said:

@Roffen - Check on the internet if your Motehrboard's built-in audio card has drivers for XP. If the MoBo model is new, it's rather unlikely.

And, my personal humble request - start new topic for requests like this one, and keep this topic related to POSReady update issues :>

While your request is logical and reasonable, you're just now complaining about a post he made over a year ago?  LOL  Just sayin' ... :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt
I had read date wrong LOL

On 3.09.2017 at 11:30 PM, Roffen said:

It turned out like installing Sp4 was very straightforward.

But I  got a very puzzling and sinister problem today:

I have three machines, one that's been running faithfully for years, and two other that I've been building in a couple of spare cabinets, with new ASUS motherboards. I had expected to be able to finalize the job today, just inserting a disk drive and installing XP. But what happens is that I am unable to get sound out of the machines. I am as always installing Musicmatch Jukebox and I've never experienced any problems with that. But today , on all three of my machines I am unable to get even the slightest squeak out of them. I've never experienced anything like it, Not only the two machines I  worked on yesterday, but also the machine that I've had running for several years with very few problems that could not be fixed.  I feel like I've got to give up and buy a new machine, but hows do I determine if the machine will run Windows XP? Anyone have any experience with that? I tend to think that ASUS machines might be good candidates for XP but I've never tried that before.

Uh, more like a week and a half :> Unless board, after updates, pops up his edit as a totally new post. I only see 3.09.2017 on my machine...

10 hours ago, bphlpt said:

While your request is logical and reasonable, you're just now complaining about a post he made over a year ago?  LOL  Just sayin' ... :)

Cheers and Regards

And - allow me to add - that I believe that Roffen deserves anyway some "slack", I think that besides your claims to be "The Old Man" and my much smaller claims about being the resident old (and grumpy) bastard, he is the most senior member of the board. :thumbup

jaclaz

To all - Just made a donation to MSFN because an obscure post on this forum* indicates it's needed.  A modest donation, but the death of my XP machine would have been far more costly and a lot less fun.

On the way to make the donation by PayPal. a pre-PayPal page was in a Dutch or Scandinavian language -- which somehow seems perfectly normal here -- but the next PayPal page was English with a green lock, so OK.

Go to https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176958-msfn-will-be-online-one-more-month/   to get started. 

*  Is any post on this forum NOT obscure?

If you don't donate, I'll make more jokes.

Edited by glnz