POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

9 hours ago, SD73 said:

I wonder why it missed them the first time around?

Quite simply, KB4056941 and KB4056615 were released on 01/05/2018, the 3 updates for .NET Framework as well as the updates for Office on 01/09/2018.

:)

Edited by heinoganda

7 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I experienced the usual slow scans when test running MU.  I have only tried to update a few machines so far (because of the odd nature/timing of this month's updates), and have not tried to preempt the long scan times by manually applying any updates this month, instead just waiting for the yellow shield to show up. 

I'm holding back a little and reassessing whether the risk posed going forward is greater from Microsoft's patches or from the vulnerabilities being patched.  The update process looks more rickety every month.

I think if MU ist launched on an patchday it will interfer with MANY other users searching for updates.

And it definitly interfer the mechanism for the "yellow shield".

If I start MU, after a while (sometimes more than an hour) pop up the "yelow shield" doing "nothing".

Downloaded "0 %" as long as MU runs. But if I stopped MU, it shows immediatly (only some minutes) "Updates ready for install".

So as you say: waiting until the yellow shield is popping up is a good solution.

Only if you need an update asap look at the MS update catalouge for examplen and install the standalone update...

Key information was summarized in the first post of this topic (POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU).

In this post is a reference to an older post from me where I went into the problem with the CPU utilization of the svchost process.

Quite simply disable AU, when using WU latest cumulative update for IE8 should be installed / manually installed and when using MU in addition to WU if an Office package is installed manuel the latest updates (Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, Office 2007 , for Office 2010 I have not done any test's yet). Currently it is known that every 2nd Tuesday in month the security updates of MS are released and one week later other updates.

4 hours ago, heinoganda said:

Quite simply, KB4056941 and KB4056615 were released on 01/05/2018, the 3 updates for .NET Framework as well as the updates for Office on 01/09/2018.

LOL, that certainly explains it.  I'm a goof!

On 1/6/2018 at 11:19 PM, roytam1 said:

The ntfs.sys update seems to be causing problems to me, some files can't be overwritten or copied due to security descriptors cannot be applied to owner.

Reverting to 5512 fixed the problem.

On 1/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, Dietmar said:

on my USB 3.1 Stick formatted with NTFS after been connected to the compi with the new ntfs.sys file after kb4056615 I can not copy any file to this USB stick from another compi. I got a message "Diese Sicherheitskennung kann nicht als Besitzer des Objekts zugeordnet werden" [= "This security identifier cannot be assigned as the owner of the object."]

Also, a file 75 GByte big I can not rescue from this USB3.1 stick. After copying may be 10 GByte, a message pulled up that not enough resources I have on my system. But I have about 2000 Gbyte free space.

!!!So, something went wrong with new ntfs.sys !!!

Be very careful with this patch. After this bad experience I format this USB stick new with FAT32 and all the problems are gone,

I've just got the "This security identifier cannot be applied to the owner of the object", so I, too, can confirm that issue.
Interesting it happened on an NTFS partition used by Win 7 Ult SP1 x64, but didn't on another NTFS partition used by Win 7 Ult SP1 x86, go figure!
So I put back the just the ntfs.sys v. 5.1.2600.5512, while keeping the updated kernel files and the problem have been solved.
It's crystal clear, by now, that the ntfs.sys v. 5.1.2600.7392 is flawed! :(
The workaround, however, is simple and easy to perform (from outside windows, of course, like from another boot partition or a live-linux CD, for instance).

I have uninstalled KB4056615 completely because apparently this update was not tested properly (probably no OEM release status) and behaves very strangely on some systems. I hope the MS responds and releases a new edition of this update.

Apparently there were no more free computers by MS for the test's of KB4056615. :lol:

Edited by heinoganda

I replaced the new (faulty) ntfs.sys on my january iso (XPSP3 + OnePiece XP final + OnePiece POS january) with the one from my december iso (5.1.2600.5782, from the XP final pack, I guess). No write errors anymore.

Still, not the "clean" solution I would have liked, but just to confirm (tested on single, dual and quad core, again, for testing/ confirming).

I also had to unistall KB4056615 as it did lot of problems....Firefox could not open parts of his profile and also got the "This security identifier cannot be applied to the owner of the object"

I've had no problems like that thank goodness (touch wood!)
My main machine is running XP on a FAT32 drive, not an NTFS drive, so this may be hiding any potential permissions or ownership problems, but having said that, my netbook is running XP on an NTFS drive, and that isn't showing any issues either.
Maybe I've just been lucky!
:dubbio:

I may have gotten some of Dave's luck from across the pond.  Mine's NTFS as well and I've not had any problems with any of my apps or copying/deleting files.  I'll have to experiment some more to see if something shakes loose, but on the periphery the update seems fine even though I forced it.Got it!

I'm not facing issues either on my NTFS SSHD nor on my Synology racks network drives formatted in ext4. It's mainly a computer I use for work and an encoding running since I installed the latest updates and rebooted, so I didn't have the chance to test it properly. (It's a 4K Remaster of a movie that implies using many filters during post processing, thus using 6 GB of RAM for Fourier calculations, Karhunen-Loève Transform, Discrete Cosine Transform calculations, motion vectors calculations and so on,  so the system it's stressed, but so far so good. People generally don't believe that some of the detailed 4K they see on air are processed using Windows XP). It's probably going to finish in the next few hours after days of encode, so I'll soon have the chance to install the .NET Framework, the "latest and greatest" Avast beta update and perhaps reboot and make it rest for a while. It deserves it after days at 100% CPU usage. ;)

My only concern is that I'll never get the patch for my CPU... and I'm definitely affected by Meltdown and Spectre, 'cause I'm running an i7 6700HQ, 4c/8th with 16 GB DDR4 (8x2) and an NVIDIA GTX 950M. Well... I hope Avast will prevent threats from stealing data, but still...

Edited by FranceBB

@Dave-H @SD73

No problems, you had to force KB4056615 on your system with the parameter /overwriteoem. Have you ever had this problem? I can only recommend uninstalling KB4056615 and waiting for an update for KB4056615!

Note:
I do not want to make a random generator out of my computer!

We will not be issuing updates for Windows Vista or Windows XP-based systems including WES 2009 and POSReady 2009.

Although Windows Vista and Windows XP-based systems are affected products, Microsoft is not issuing an update for them because the comprehensive architectural changes required would jeopardize system stability and cause application compatibility problems.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Actually XP is not affected I think :P

As VTX requires Hal Channel pass code but XP lacks that .

VTx works in XP but Same way as AVX work in XP ......(not properly but technically more properly)

I am trying to port Microcode update to XP...

WIndows 7 update fix that Microsoft provided is easy to bypass for a malware writer so it doesn't make sense ..

Best bet is to get firmware update !!

This months update in windows 8.1 screwed up lot in my Skylake computer performance wise but my ivybridge is still intact

Edited by Dibya