POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

Drifting a bit further off-topic, but he piqued my curiosity:

40 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

The breakage is due to JS scripts that are not palatable to the web engines that can be used on Windows XP/Vista...

I followed @VistaLover's instructions and the troublesome page now works on 360EE v13.0, along with the promised nag:

image.thumb.png.957d9ca1c49671db95f810c027ef5a6c.png

So JS is clearly the problem (and NoScript is looking like the probable reason for @luweitest's success) but 360EE v13.0 is based on Chromium 86, which I'm quite sure is newer than the oldest version of that particular page, archived on Aug. 2017! So I tried the page again, in honest-to-goodness M$ Edge on honest-to-goodness Win 7, and it's broken there too!

Well, at least it isn't specific to XP/Vista, but what the heck are they doing (or trying to do) anyway? I still suspect M$ sneaked some JS onto their pages that they knew would cause them to break on the Wayback Machine. :angry: (Gees, wouldn't it have been easier to have just used robots.txt?)

Luckily only 19 scripts blocked on the oldest version, so time to start searching for the "bad" one....

... and the winning uBO filter is:

||web.archive.org/web/*js_/https://support.microsoft.com/app/content/bundles/application$script,domain=web.archive.org

(I changed the date stamp to an * so that - hopefully - this uBO filter will work on other M$ KB pages with this issue.)

12 hours ago, w2k4eva said:

What I did notice is that over the years MS has changed the format of URLs for their KB pages, and usually the older version of the URLs was from a time before this wayback problem. So fortunately for this particular update there is actually an older crawl with the different format of URL that works, even from SeaMonkey 2.49.2 on XP:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150602151315/https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/898461

Thank you so much for discovering this. I never heard of it. Great one.

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... The breakage is due to JS scripts that are not palatable to the web engines that can be used on Windows XP/Vista... :angry:
If, like me, you have uBlock Origin installed in your browser, just blanket-forbid all javascript on "web.archive.org" via the pop-up: 

uAJgUm8.jpg

and then reload the culprit WA page: 

G5A1kVc.jpg

Of course, WA will nag that JS is disabled, but you'll be able to load the bulk of that M$ KB content, in an easy and reproducible manner... :P

I feel very lazy now :rolleyes:, especially after a "full" dinner (in my timezone), but the masochist among you can determine which one (or more) of the 26 scripts uBO blocks is responsible for the breakage under "legacy" browsers... FWIW, my screengrab is from 360EEv11 (Chromium 69 based...). 

Best regards y'all :)

Thank you so much for this information, VistaLover! I, however, didn't have uBlock Origin installed, but I disabled JavaScript from site settings (from padlock in Chrome), and it loaded the archived web page completely.

Thanks everyone.

Best regards.

I found the KB4501226 that some people were searching for, is it still needed?

Name: windowsxp-kb4501226-x86-embedded-enu_708fe12ecfbbb070821a87fd538af3b6b6fd3084.exe
Size: 536616 bytes (524 KiB)
SHA1: 708FE12ECFBBB070821A87FD538AF3B6B6FD3084

I have in all languages lol

On 1/11/2022 at 12:35 PM, ExtremeGrief said:

I found the KB4501226 that some people were searching for, is it still needed?

Name: windowsxp-kb4501226-x86-embedded-enu_708fe12ecfbbb070821a87fd538af3b6b6fd3084.exe
Size: 536616 bytes (524 KiB)
SHA1: 708FE12ECFBBB070821A87FD538AF3B6B6FD3084

I have in all languages lol

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182599-nt-5x-windows-update-urls-dump-inc-custom-support-updates/

:angel

• 11 months later...
On 12/26/2018 at 4:31 AM, WinXP_OK said:

Question,

has anyone had a wordpad erorr message after an update or know how to fix it:

WORDPAD.EXE entry point not found:

The procedure entry point CoRegisterActivationFilter could not be located  in dynamic link library ole 32.dll?

Is this what you're seeing? If I close without saving it first, then upon close I get to save but get this warning every time. I've just ignored it and it saves just fine.

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Is this what you're seeing? If I close without saving it first, then upon close I get to save but get this warning every time. I've just ignored it and it saves just fine.

spacer.png

The post you're replying to is 3 years ago. And also, the error in your screenshot is different from what @WinXP_OK's post is mentioning.

14 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

The post you're replying to is 3 years ago. And also, the error in your screenshot is different from what @WinXP_OK's post is mentioning.

Lol ... I didn't notice the date, brain it 'all-over-the-place' today, ok though. :crazy:

Edited by XPerceniol

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 2:47 PM, liamZ said:

I think it is safe to remove everything inside that folder. I think the files in that folder were created in case of another service pack SP4.

It's been a while since no new updates have been creating it's folder inside $hf_mig$

Yes, it is now 2023 and it's very unlikely that Windows XP will ever get any updates that may rely on contents in that folder.

So I deleted the entire contents (1.6GB), after having made a backup with 7Zip. :)