Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

glnz

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

bphlpt    104
On 9/9/2017 at 2:09 PM, Mcinwwl said:

@Roffen - Check on the internet if your Motehrboard's built-in audio card has drivers for XP. If the MoBo model is new, it's rather unlikely.

And, my personal humble request - start new topic for requests like this one, and keep this topic related to POSReady update issues :>

While your request is logical and reasonable, you're just now complaining about a post he made over a year ago?  LOL  Just sayin' ... :)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt
I had read date wrong LOL

Mcinwwl    41
On 3.09.2017 at 11:30 PM, Roffen said:

It turned out like installing Sp4 was very straightforward.

But I  got a very puzzling and sinister problem today:

I have three machines, one that's been running faithfully for years, and two other that I've been building in a couple of spare cabinets, with new ASUS motherboards. I had expected to be able to finalize the job today, just inserting a disk drive and installing XP. But what happens is that I am unable to get sound out of the machines. I am as always installing Musicmatch Jukebox and I've never experienced any problems with that. But today , on all three of my machines I am unable to get even the slightest squeak out of them. I've never experienced anything like it, Not only the two machines I  worked on yesterday, but also the machine that I've had running for several years with very few problems that could not be fixed.  I feel like I've got to give up and buy a new machine, but hows do I determine if the machine will run Windows XP? Anyone have any experience with that? I tend to think that ASUS machines might be good candidates for XP but I've never tried that before.

Uh, more like a week and a half :> Unless board, after updates, pops up his edit as a totally new post. I only see 3.09.2017 on my machine...

• Upvote 1

jaclaz    927
10 hours ago, bphlpt said:

While your request is logical and reasonable, you're just now complaining about a post he made over a year ago?  LOL  Just sayin' ... :)

Cheers and Regards

And - allow me to add - that I believe that Roffen deserves anyway some "slack", I think that besides your claims to be "The Old Man" and my much smaller claims about being the resident old (and grumpy) bastard, he is the most senior member of the board. :thumbup

jaclaz

• Like 2

glnz    20

To all - Just made a donation to MSFN because an obscure post on this forum* indicates it's needed.  A modest donation, but the death of my XP machine would have been far more costly and a lot less fun.

On the way to make the donation by PayPal. a pre-PayPal page was in a Dutch or Scandinavian language -- which somehow seems perfectly normal here -- but the next PayPal page was English with a green lock, so OK.

Go to https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176958-msfn-will-be-online-one-more-month/   to get started. 

*  Is any post on this forum NOT obscure?

If you don't donate, I'll make more jokes.

Edited by glnz

bphlpt    104
14 hours ago, Mcinwwl said:

Uh, more like a week and a half :> Unless board, after updates, pops up his edit as a totally new post. I only see 3.09.2017 on my machine...

My mistake, somehow I had read his post date as 2016.  Very sorry for the mistaken accusation. :)

glnz    20

I just for the first time noticed that Firefox on XP will not get any more security updates after this month.

Is there an alternative secure browser for our super-annuated XP machines?

dencorso    531
1 hour ago, glnz said:

I just for the first time noticed that Firefox on XP will not get any more security updates after this month

How so? Read please the esr FAQ:

release-overview.6ada2b83ca80.png

glnz    20

den - thanks for good news - I hope.   But see https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/end-support-windows-xp-and-vista

And your chart shows 52 coming to an end on June 26 2018.  Will we stop getting security updates for FF after?

Well, Mozilla is not clear.  They must have learned English at the Microsoft School of Languages.

What do you think?

mixit    42

@glnz The unified browser thread may be a better fit for these types of questions, it may even already have some answers ;) .

---------------------------

Regarding POSReady 2009, though, I wonder if there's any chance of it getting TLS 1.2 updates the same way Server 2008 SP2 suddenly did last month with KB4019276. Its extended support ends in January 2020 (I think), less than a year after POSReady 2009, so it might not be an unreasonable expectation in the current security climate. Could them working on this possibly be the reason IE updates were skipped last month? :unsure: Probably wishful thinking but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Edited by mixit

glnz    20

OK GANG !!

This is what I got:

Microsoft Windows XP Embedded

Security Update for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4039384)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4036586)

Microsoft Office 2007

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB4011063)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB4011064)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213644)

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB3213641)

So ... who's going first?   Not me!  Oh no no no.

SD73    2

I got those six as well, glnz.  I also had an optional wepos one too that I opted for.  I did not get the Install Shield, but they finally came up after a few hours of waiting on them using the Windows Update feature.  They've installed without issue and so far haven't given me any problems.

Dclem    3

I Installed IE8 Cumulative security update for POSReady 2009  (KB4036586)http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=internet+explorer+8+windows+xp

Update for POSReady 2009 (KB4039111)

Security Update For POSReady 2009 (KB4039384)

The info.exe security update for POSReady 2009 from Aug 28, 2017  (KB4025398) http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=posready 2009

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB4011063)

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB3213649)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213644)

Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB4011064) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/downloadsdrillinresults.aspx?q=2007&FORM=DLC&ftapplicableproducts=^office&sortby=-availabledate&first=9

Plus the Adobe Flash player updates for Firefox and IE8

Everything is running smoothly for me..........................